PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Towel Rack

jbsmith
01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
I purchased an inexpensive hotel-style towel shelf (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=13449-336-9006BNMV&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3050595&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1) at Lowes for installation in the bathroom of our fifth wheel. It's the only one that I could find that fit perfectly in the space above the toilet.

As I'm sure many can relate, there are few, oddly placed studs in the walls and only thin paneling. Instead of using wall anchors, I decided on a more robust solution not likely to jar loose. I hand finished a piece of hardwood and fastened it to the wall using two countersunk dry-wall screws. The towel rack is fastened to the header using stainless steel screws.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the installation.

Hunter757
01-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Nice Job looks great. :thumbsup:

f6bits
01-21-2012, 03:07 PM
I like it. I went the quick and dirty route and found a similarly sized shelf at Home Depot and mounted that above the toilet. It’s a wall-to-wall space, so I was able to anchor three sides of the shelf. I need to add a lip or something to the shelf so towels don’t fall off while in transit. For now, the shelf is empty when we travel.

michol02
01-21-2012, 06:37 PM
When I mounted towel rack in mine, I removed the trim, peeled back the paneling, and put a 1" x 6" for backing....what a pain. I wish I would have seen your work a couple of months ago. Looks very nice JB.