PDA

View Full Version : Side window broken

Bullet243
09-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Someone hit my window with a rock and fractured the safety glass on the fixed side. Can the the broken side be fixed? Does the whole window/frame have to be replaced?

JRTJH
09-28-2021, 06:09 AM
Some local glass companies will measure, order and install tempered glass. Some local glass companies will not even look at an RV with tempered glass windows.

Most RV repair services are not equipped to replace the individual glass components, but will typically replace the entire window assembly. If you prefer to do the work yourself, you can order a replacement window from almost any RV parts store and the windows are not "Keystone exclusive" but are an industry standard item that is used by all manufacturers of RV's. So, any RV dealership should be able to order the window from their supplier.

Installation is a straight forward process, but you must clean all the old "putty tape" off the trailer sidewall as well as carefully apply new putty tape to the replacement window.

If you're mechanically inclined and have a helper, it's not a difficult procedure.

All that said, expect the replacement to approach or surpass your insurance deductible, so weigh your options. It may be less expensive to involve your insurance agent.

Hblick48
09-28-2021, 06:04 PM
I changed storage yards....big mistake. Parked our rig on a Sunday and it was broken into the next Friday night. They broke 2 windows, got in through one. Ransacked the entire interior.
Fortunately, nothing of value stolen. A friend owns a glass company. He measured Monday, and will have the glass on 10/7, about $500. I just finished vacuuming up the glass shards earlier today. Have new secure storage lined up.

Edit: Insurance deductible is $500, so entire repair is on me, storage yard not chiping in.