PDA

View Full Version : Recommended sway control for Cougar cap

springfield5
01-15-2012, 04:10 PM
I have a question about sway control and weight distribution hitches for the Keystone Cougar with the fiberglass front cap. I am not so concerned about the preferences between Reese Dual Cam and Equalizer 4 point, more so which fits better on the trailer with the fiberglass front cap. My wife and I have put a down payment on a 31sqb. The dealer recommended the Equalizer because that is what they sell. I think that the Equalizer may work better with the fiberglass cap since it does not have the chains and brackets. I would like to hear from current owners who can shed a little light with their personal experiences.

Thanks in advance!

JoeofNSB
01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I have used the Equalizer on a 24 foot bumper pull car hauler and was very happy with it. In fact still have it for sale in the want ad department. Never used the Resse but I'm sure others will comment on it.

Paddler
01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't have your trailer but I can give you something to look at that might help you make your choice. Measure the distance from the center of the trailer coupler (where the ball would be) along the "A" frame rail to the start of the fiberglass cap. (measure both sides and take the shortest measurement) If the distance is greater than 35" then the Equal-i-zer will probably fit. If it is less than 33" it might not fit. You generally mount the L brackets right around 32-35" from the center of the coupler.
Hope that helps,

f6bits
01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
As I look at pictures of the 31sqb, it looks like there’s a fair bit of clearance between the frame and the cap. Looking at my EQ setup, the inside of the frame houses the inside bracket of my EQ setup, which goes less than 2” above the frame. The outside of the frame has the same 2” rise, PLUS however much of the L bracket you have raised above the frame.

So if you have 2” clearance above the inside of the frame, and the cap does hang past the outside of the frame, you should be fine. If the dealer recommends it, and can successfully install it, you’re golden. And that’s my 2¢.

By the way, what are you using as a tow vehicle? Wheelbase figures into recommendations as well, since I suspect that the Reese cams will hold the trailer straighter on a shorter wheelbase.

springfield5
01-16-2012, 04:01 PM
As I look at pictures of the 31sqb, it looks like there’s a fair bit of clearance between the frame and the cap. Looking at my EQ setup, the inside of the frame houses the inside bracket of my EQ setup, which goes less than 2” above the frame. The outside of the frame has the same 2” rise, PLUS however much of the L bracket you have raised above the frame.

So if you have 2” clearance above the inside of the frame, and the cap does hang past the outside of the frame, you should be fine. If the dealer recommends it, and can successfully install it, you’re golden. And that’s my 2˘.

By the way, what are you using as a tow vehicle? Wheelbase figures into recommendations as well, since I suspect that the Reese cams will hold the trailer straighter on a shorter wheelbase.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

I am towing with a 2004 2500 Suburban 8.1l with the 4.10 axle ratio. Unfortunately I have not picked up the trailer yet so I cannot make any measurements of the A frame and cap. I was hoping to figure this out before we go to pick it up so that we can get the best hitch, not just the one that the dealer will attempt to sell us. Also, I assume that the tongue weight in the brochure is referring to the dry weight. It states that the tongue weight is around 950lbs. I would assume that it would be near 1200 at FLW. Would this mean that I should get a 12000/1200 hitch? I would think so, but thought I should check.

Thanks again for all of the great advice!

Jeff

f6bits
01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Hmm, found this thread:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3761

950lbs is borderline, so the 12K makes more sense. I’ve really got to get mine on a scale so I know the real numbers.

You should also take a look at the hitch that you have, as per:
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24992594/gotomsg/24992922.cfm

Paddler
01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I fear you may have another problem you will need to consider. What is the wheelbase of your Surburban?

The formula is 110" of tow vehicle wheelbase will safely pull a 20ft trailer, for each additional ft of trailer you will need an additional 4" of tow vehicle wheelbase. An example: 130" wheelbase will safely tow a 25" trailer. Using the Equalizer or Reese Dual cam you could stretch that to 29" of trailer. To go beyond that you will need a Hensley Arrow hitch or a longer wheelbase tow vehicle.

chuck&gail
01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
I love my Equal-i-zer. I'm handicapped so fooling with chains is hard. With an electric tongue jack, the Equalizer is easy to hook/unhook. I assume you're getting an electric tongue jack? I STRONGLY recommend one no matter what WDH you get.

As for size, what is TT GVWR? You want 13 to 15% of the GVWR on the tongue. You want hitch bars close to, but equal or larger, to that number.

Once hooked up and fully loaded, be sure to check TV rear axle weight. Many people install too few washers, and that causes rear GAWR to be exceeded. Installing more washer usually fixes that.

jq1031
01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Is that suburban a half or three quarter ton TV, as that also filters into the equasion?

2011 keystone
01-16-2012, 08:07 PM
8.1 L IS PLENTY OF POWER just watch you gvwr.

springfield5
01-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. Our Suburban is a 2500 8.1l with the 4.10 rear axle ratio. GM states that the towing capacity is 12000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. The hitch states 12000 lbs and 1500 lbs tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch. I fear that the Hensly Arrow hitch would not fit on this unit due to the front fiberglass cap and the hitch upright tubes. I think I will probably need to go with the Equalizer and hope for the best.

SteveC7010
01-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. Our Suburban is a 2500 8.1l with the 4.10 rear axle ratio. GM states that the towing capacity is 12000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. The hitch states 12000 lbs and 1500 lbs tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch. I fear that the Hensly Arrow hitch would not fit on this unit due to the front fiberglass cap and the hitch upright tubes. I think I will probably need to go with the Equalizer and hope for the best.

The towing capacity of the hitch is NOT the towing capacity of the vehicle.

The towing capacity of the vehicle is the GCWR of the vehicle minus the fully loaded weight of the vehicle to include passengers, cargo, and fuel.

springfield5
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM

The towing capacity of the vehicle is the GCWR of the vehicle minus the fully loaded weight of the vehicle to include passengers, cargo, and fuel.

Maybe I stated my thoughts incorrectly earlier. GM rated it at 12,000 with those options. I was only stating wat the hitch is rated at in response to one of the earlier comments of someone who had a 2500 Suburban with a lower capacity hitch. Sorry for the confusion.

Paddler
01-17-2012, 01:30 PM
What is the wheelbase of your Subi? This be a very critical piece of information. We have already had one member of this board total a trailer because the tow vehicle wheelbase was to short. Going with the Equal-i-zer and hoping for the best is not a good answer for your family's safety.

Yes, I am a member of the towing police but trust me I have your safety at heart!!!

springfield5
01-17-2012, 02:44 PM
What is the wheelbase of your Subi? This be a very critical piece of information. We have already had one member of this board total a trailer because the tow vehicle wheelbase was to short. Going with the Equal-i-zer and hoping for the best is not a good answer for your family's safety.

Yes, I am a member of the towing police but trust me I have your safety at heart!!!

Thanks for your concern and I understand exactly where you are coming from. The Suburbans WB is right around 130". By your estimates, I am limited to a 29' travel trailer. Unfortunately, I do not think they make a three row vehicle with a longer wheel base...unless an Excursion is longer but has a lower towing capacity. I am also pretty sure that a HA hitch will not work with the front cap. So, what vehicle would you recommend? Thanks again for your help and concern!

Jeff

springfield5
01-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks again for the reply. I looked tonight and the GCWR is 19000 and with a GVW of 8600 that would leave me with 10400lbs to play with....approximately. Please correct me if my math is wrong!

jq1031
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Dual Cam, Equalizer, Friction Bars, Hensley or any WD Hitch setup, it still depends on a good match between the TT & TV for total comfort on the Interstate. If what you have is set up correctly & it's working the way you want & you're not causing a future accident on I-Whatever, then you got the right set up.... One size does not fit all here. Me,;) I'm happy with mine...

Paddler
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Jeff,
I feel your pain. The other forum member that totalled his 35ft trailer was driving a Surburban. They got passed by a couple big rigs in a row and it set off uncontrollable sway. They were not injured and purchased the same trailer again except with a Hensley Arrow hitch.

If you're sure the HA won't work, I highly recommend you do a few trial pulls, without the family, until you have a good measure of the handling characteristics of your rig. Start with the rig empty then make the same run fully loaded.
Best wishes,
Steve

springfield5
01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi Jeff,
I feel your pain. The other forum member that totalled his 35ft trailer was driving a Surburban. They got passed by a couple big rigs in a row and it set off uncontrollable sway. They were not injured and purchased the same trailer again except with a Hensley Arrow hitch.

If you're sure the HA won't work, I highly recommend you do a few trial pulls, without the family, until you have a good measure of the handling characteristics of your rig. Start with the rig empty then make the same run fully loaded.
Best wishes,
Steve

Thanks again for your concern. It looks like the "styled" fiberglass cap may not be all that it is cracked up to be in this instance.

ldprice47
01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
If you want to stay with a HA, talk to Terry at Hensley. They make a modified HA for the new fiberglass covers and the v-fronts on the market now.

CoveDweller
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I've got a 2012 27RLS with the equalizer, works great!

springfield5
01-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I've got a 2012 27RLS with the equalizer, works great!

Thanks for the reply! How long is the 27RLS and you have had no problems installation or otherwise with the equalizer? Also, what do you tow with.

Thanks again

Jeff

f6bits
01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
His TV is listed in another post:
"Fishhawk - I have a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab. 5.3, 3.73 w/tow package, 3" torsion bar lift kit, SS Magnaflow exhaust, pulling a 2012 Keystone Cougar 27RLS. I also have the equalizer hitch which works real well. I did elect to add Hellwig overload springs which greatly improved the ride and rear ride height.”

The specs say overall length is 30.5 feet. I’m a little confused as to why specs say hitch is about 425lbs, yet dry weight is over 6000 lbs. Tongue weight is quite a bit lower than 10%. It’s more like 7%. Again, hitting the scales should provide some insight.

michol02
01-18-2012, 06:48 AM
I pull a 2012 32SAB(35' 1") with an Equalizer 4 point(10000lb/1000lb). This is the same front cap as yours, only my tongue weight is a bit lighter. I am totally pleased with my Equalizer. With your trailer, I would opt for the 12000lb/1200lb(just my opinion). It fits well and has plenty of clearance and turning radius. I had my dealer install mine($849 total). My wheel base is 143.5, it pulls fine with very little sway. One day I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton, but for now, I am satisfied with my set-up.

springfield5
01-18-2012, 09:48 AM
I pull a 2012 32SAB(35' 1") with an Equalizer 4 point(10000lb/1000lb). This is the same front cap as yours, only my tongue weight is a bit lighter. I am totally pleased with my Equalizer. With your trailer, I would opt for the 12000lb/1200lb(just my opinion). It fits well and has plenty of clearance and turning radius. I had my dealer install mine($849 total). My wheel base is 143.5, it pulls fine with very little sway. One day I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton, but for now, I am satisfied with my set-up.

Thank you so much for your reply! It sounds like we are in similar situations and I am very glad to hear from some one with personal experience. Is there plenty of clearance between the equalizer and the front cap? Also, would you agree that a Hensly Arrow wouldn't fit? Sorry for so many questions, I am just excited and looking forward to our new trailer. So, how do you like your Cougar so far?

michol02
01-19-2012, 05:10 AM
I don't have any experience with the Hensley. Here is some pics(didn't have time this morning to hook the hitch to it). There is plenty of clearance and room for adjustments.
I love my cougar. Lots of room inside except for the bed room and hanging storage(i have the model previous to the new one with 3 slides), but i've made modifications to the hanger bar, and we don't need much space in the room(just a place to sleep). You can check out some of my modifications in the " modifications and upgrades " section of this forum.

springfield5
01-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't have any experience with the Hensley. Here is some pics(didn't have time this morning to hook the hitch to it). There is plenty of clearance and room for adjustments.
I love my cougar. Lots of room inside except for the bed room and hanging storage(i have the model previous to the new one with 3 slides), but i've made modifications to the hanger bar, and we don't need much space in the room(just a place to sleep). You can check out some of my modifications in the " modifications and upgrades " section of this forum.

Thanks for adding the pictures of the tongue situation. I have only seen it at the RV show and honestly wasn't thinking about the WD hitch so I didn't pay alot of attention to that area. Your pictures are very helpful and may help shed a little light on the questions for others in the same situation. It looks like in order to add the snap up brackets for a Reese, you would probably have to trim the propane cover. Looks like Equalizer may be the route to go. Again, Thanks for your help!