PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Clamp ..to use or not

Hugo-H
08-21-2021, 09:35 AM
I wonder if the use of a hitch clamp while towing your TT benefits the towing?
...because the hitch itself doesn't fit perfectly....always has some backlash (if this is the right word to describe it?)
If to use the clamp, how is the right way to attach it...up or down?

Brentw
08-21-2021, 10:07 AM
Your call up or down, as long as it pulls the hitch tight to the receiver. As to using one, your call as well, some couldn't care about a bit of slop in the hitch.
I use one if I'm pulling my empty utility trail cuzco the clicking can get annoying, loaded rv with equalizer bars, doubt you would notice any movement.

sourdough
08-21-2021, 11:38 AM
I use a hitch clamp because I don't like the slop and noise. Here's a link to one like I have;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hitch-Clamp-Heavy-Duty-2-Inch-Hitch-Tightener-Anti-Rattle-Device-Receiver-clamp/326688908?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101060468&&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-51320962143&wl5=9028236&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=341823833&wl11=online&wl12=326688908&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqO64-O3C8gIVAcDICh3EuAmPEAQYAiABEgKVjPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The link is to one for a 2" receiver but they make them for 2 1/2" as well. I currently use it to clamp the receiver and shank for my mud flaps down so the flaps don't wiggle and clank. I used it previously on a 10lk gvw bumper pull and it really tightened it up.

JRTJH
08-21-2021, 11:44 AM
I wonder if the use of a hitch clamp while towing your TT benefits the towing?
...because the hitch itself doesn't fit perfectly....always has some backlash (if this is the right word to describe it?)
If to use the clamp, how is the right way to attach it...up or down?

I don't think there's a "correct orientation" whether it's up or down....

I found that on my hitch, the nuts needed to be down so I could more easily tighten them with a ratchet and socket. There just isn't enough room if the nuts are on top of the hitch to get to them without risking "scraped knuckles"...

So, for me, the "preferred" method is "nuts down"... For some others, if there is better access, they may prefer "nuts up"... To the hitch and stabilizing the rattles, it doesn't matter.....

Hugo-H
08-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Your call up or down, as long as it pulls the hitch tight to the receiver. As to using one, your call as well, some couldn't care about a bit of slop in the hitch.
I use one if I'm pulling my empty utility trail cuzco the clicking can get annoying, loaded rv with equalizer bars, doubt you would notice any movement.

Does the clamp pulls the hitch downwards or upwards?

travelin texans
08-21-2021, 03:07 PM

Depends which way you install it.

Hugo-H
08-22-2021, 12:43 AM
Depends which way you install it.

...sure there must be a difference...on what it depends to have the hitch pulled downwards or upwards, by the clamp...

flybouy
08-22-2021, 04:14 AM

The point is to stop the excess movrment. If you want to find out which direction you want to favor then hirch up as you normally do and find out if the jitch is tight against the top or the botton of the receiver. Depending on the style of drawbar you may not have an option.

JRTJH
08-22-2021, 06:42 AM

If you look at the photo of the hitch clamp, there is a "square U bolt" and a "cross bar" held in place by two nuts....

To "dig deeper into your quoted question": The "square U bolt" pulls opposite the "cross bar" when you tighten the nuts...

The ASSEMBLY doesn't pull "up or down" it compresses from both the horizontal part of the "U bolt" and the "cross bar"..

So, the "correct answer" would probably be: "Both and/or neither"....

Methinks you're trying to analyze far too deeply !!!!!!!

Now, that said, your weight distribution hitch pushes UP on the aft end of the receiver tube and pushes DOWN on the front end of the receiver tube. So if that is what concerns you, if the clamp is installed so it's "pulling up on the "hitch stinger" there's less likelyhood of it "fighting the installation and loosening"...

But again, way too deeply into the weeds for such a simple clamp. It'll work either way equally well, until you start putting 20 or 30 G's of force during liftoff or re-entry... Neither of which your rig will be subjected to unless you sub-contract to NASA.....

CedarCreekWoody
08-22-2021, 07:31 AM
If you look at the hitch I think you will find it pulled to the top of the receiver when the WDH is applied. I installed the clamp to do the same thing and hold the shank snug. If the clamp ills it downward the hitch is constantly fighting the clamp while towing. Clamp it to pull upwards so they can work together and not fight each other.