PDA

View Full Version : Charger question

kschitoskey
01-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I am upgrading to four 6 volt golf car batteries in anticipation of a future solar upgrade. Will the stock converter / charger be of sufficient strength to keep these charged? Or should I upgrade? Your thoughts?

Festus2
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
If I were to consider your upgrade to 4 6v's and future solar components, I would also look at another upgrade to a charger/inverter while you are making this conversion. Eventually, you will want an inverter to go with your batteries and solar panels so why not purchase a unit that will charge your batteries and also do the job of an inverter? There are several makes out there but I would recommend looking at Xantrex and Progressive Dynamics. Both produce good quality electronics and have a fairly wide range of charger/inverters for you to consider.
These charger/inverters are not cheap with some of their higher-end units putting out pure sine wave currents to allow you to safely and efficiently operate sensitive electronic components such as computers, chargers, etc.
If you look at these two websites, they will give you a good idea of what is out there for you to consider. There is also a lot of good information on the web regarding the charger/inverter.
You can use the charger component of these devices to charge your 6v's and it does a more efficient job of battery charging than your present system.
The factory installed converter that you now have will also do the job of charging them but I wouldn't let 4 6v's run down to full discharge state. It will take quite some time for your inhouse converter to bring them back up again.
Bottom line? Have a good look at a separate inverter/charger to be used in conjunction with the 6's and the solar panels - especially if you are going to be doing quite a bit of dry camping.
A generator will do the same thing for you - instead of the solar panels.

Adrian SMS
01-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Good idea on the 4 6V that does have alot more RCA, to run longer going to have to do the same. By the way if you are interested in a charger/inverter i have a charge wizard 80amp for dual battery, from my terry that was used for one 3 day trip to tampa before the insurance company totaled it, let me know can get rid of it cheap

kschitoskey
01-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Adrian,

PM Sent