PDA

View Full Version : newbee needs advice

steve eboe
01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm relatively new to towing a travel trailer. I pull a lightweight (3,200 lbs.) 19 foot Passport with an 8-cylinder Dodge Dakota. The truck is rated to tow 7,000 lbs. so I know I'm all right there, but the truck has a "Tow/Haul" button on the shift column. Should I activate the "Tow/Haul" button every time I'm pulling the trailer, or just when I'm in hilly or mountainous terrain? I've received different advice from different people I've asked.
Thanks

f6bits
01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Toe/Haul just raises the shift points, and eliminates Overdrive. So you’re in first gear longer, second gear longer, etc., until you hit fourth gear where you’ll stay unless it needs to downshift for additional power.

You can certainly leave Tow/Haul off and see if your truck starts bogging down on the upshifts. If you’re in regular mode and hit hills, there’s nothing stopping you from manually downshifting, which you may very well have to do in tow/haul mode anyway.

hankpage
01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
If the truck tows fine in OD there is no need to use T/H. If the trans starts "hunting" and is down shifting frequently then definitely use T/H. I think you will find that truck and trailer combo will be a good match.