PDA

View Full Version : 3rd AC

south_by_north
07-16-2021, 08:31 AM
I have an Outback 328RL and I was wondering if I could pigtail off my 2nd AC's 110 romex to add a 3rd AC? I assume I would need to switch up to a larger breaker. Do you think I could also pigtail the thermostat wiring?
Thanks

flybouy
07-16-2021, 08:42 AM
I have an Outback 328RL and I was wondering if I could pigtail off my 2nd AC's 110 romex to add a 3rd AC? I assume I would need to switch up to a larger breaker. Do you think I could also pigtail the thermostat wiring?
Thanks

No, you can't "pig tail" off the romex. Even if you increase the breaker amperage the amperage would exceed the wire's capacity to carry the load. If you do that the wire would heatup and possibly cause a fire. Have you checked the vent where you want to add the 3 rd a/c unit to see if it's preped for ir?

chuckster57
07-16-2021, 10:44 AM
And no you can’t pigtail off the thermostat, IF you were even able to add the third unit you would either have to get a third thermostat, get an AC with ceiling controls or get a multizone thetmostat and do all the modifications needed.

Roof units used In multizone applications are wired differently than “standard” units. Your looking at a daunting task, if you have an unused circuit you could use it for your third unit, with ceiling controls or get another thermostat and run that wiring.

sourdough
07-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Everything I can find indicates the 328 is NOT prepped for a 3rd A/C which means you would have a chore on your hands far past the power and thermostat. You might consider a portable unit that vents out a window if it is critical.