PDA

View Full Version : Towing Springdale with 1/2 ton??

stewart1940
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for people who own the Springdale 249 fifth wheeler and tow it with a half ton pickup truck. I need your input on how a half ton handles this 5th wheel camper.

The Springdale 249 FW I'm looking at is 6300 lbs and has a pin weight of 1105 lbs. A 2012 year model!

I have a 2001 GMC 1/2 ton extended cab (80,000 miles), 6.5 ft box, 5.3 V8, 3.73 ratio, tow package w/ a heavy duty transmission cooler I put in, not the factory one that came with the truck. My max trailer weight is 8000 lbs and a fifth wheel hitch weight of 1500 lbs max. Per my owners manual.

Will my truck be able to handle this camper and will it be safe? Or do I need to update my truck?

I'm looking for some input here...

Thanks for the feedback!

JN

jramsey
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi JN
My research shows that your traiker weighs about 8100 pounds fully loaded. It is difficult to find the specs on your truck but what i did find is that the standard engine (4.3 liter) will pull a fifth wheel up to 5000 pounds. Your owners manual should have charts in the back that will tell you what your truck can safely pull with the options you have. Just as important is the pin weight or hitch weight. Your truck specs state 750 pounds and the Springdale specs say that the hitch weight is 1105 pounds. Many people tow fifth wheels and TT with 1/2 ton pickups. I do not suggest going over the manufactures recomendation. there are several disscussions on this forum that talks about towing capacities and vehicles, with people that are alot smarter than I am explaining the pros and cons of towing with different vehicles. Hope this helps. My 2 cents.

Exsailor
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to buy yourself a new truck!

hankpage
01-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi JN
Just as important is the pin weight or hitch weight. Your truck specs state 750 pounds and the Springdale specs say that the hitch weight is 1105 pounds. Hope this helps. My 2 cents.

jramsey, I think you may have confused hitch weight (max for bumper pull) with Payload (max pin weight not considering loading of truck)

JN, I think you will be running very close to your trucks limits and will most likely not be satisfied with it's (3.73 rear) performance. As suggested by Exsailor ... you may want to start convincing Mrs. JN that a ¾ T truck could be in your future. ............. JM2¢, Hank

The ½ ton battle lives on ........ JN if you do a search of this forum you will find many threads on this subject and some rather heated debates. Good luck with YOUR decision.

mhs4771
01-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Don't have the spec for your year TV, but per the 2010 owners manual, max pin weight for the 1500s is 1500 Lbs. With a dry pin weight of 1105 (generally very much on the light side) by the time you load up with gear and supplies you will most likely be right at max or slightly over (we're 800 to 900 Lbs over dry on ours). I would say it can be done, but it won't be an enjoyable tow.

Festus2
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
If you do a search of this forum using the SEARCH feature and look in the Towing and Tow Vehicle section, you will find all kinds of threads and posts about towing - many of which deal with the topic of towing with a 1/2T.
We have been asked that same question numerous times by other members and the responses have been just as numerous and often times varied and lively.
I would recommend that you do some research on your own - by browsing through the posts here. It takes time but it will be time well spent. You should also look and take note of the weights listed on the stickers - of your GMC and of your Springdale. Another site you may want to visit is trailerlife.com. Also, don't forget to check your owner's truck manual for the capacities and limits listed there by the manufacturer.
(As a side note, I have moved this thread to the Towing and Tow Vehicle section.)
There is a difference between towing and safe towing. I would always opt for the latter. You asked, "will my truck be safe?" I think the more important question should be, "Will I, my passengers and others on the road be safe?"
Good luck in your research.

jramsey
01-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Sory if I have misled anyone. The info i got on pin weight was from an internet search for a 2001 1500 GMC. I guess you can't trust everything you read on the internet.

cumminsdad08
01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to buy yourself a new truck!

X2

upgrading is always fun:bdance:

hankpage
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Sory if I have misled anyone. The info i got on pin weight was from an internet search for a 2001 1500 GMC. I guess you can't trust everything you read on the internet.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've done that. :thumbsup:

Flyguy
01-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for people who own the Springdale 249 fifth wheeler and tow it with a half ton pickup truck. I need your input on how a half ton handles this 5th wheel camper.

The Springdale 249 FW I'm looking at is 6300 lbs and has a pin weight of 1105 lbs. A 2012 year model!

I have a 2001 GMC 1/2 ton extended cab (80,000 miles), 6.5 ft box, 5.3 V8, 3.73 ratio, tow package w/ a heavy duty transmission cooler I put in, not the factory one that came with the truck. My max trailer weight is 8000 lbs and a fifth wheel hitch weight of 1500 lbs max. Per my owners manual.

Will my truck be able to handle this camper and will it be safe? Or do I need to update my truck?

I'm looking for some input here...

Thanks for the feedback!

JN

I tow with a 1/2 ton TV and a 249 Springdale FW and have had zero problems. I get 12mpg and the trailer handles like a dream.

stewart1940
04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Update, April 1, 2012

We bought a 2011 Chevy 2500HD Crew with the 6.0L V8 with 4.10 gears! Pulls the 249 Fifth Wheeler just fine. I did not want to chance it with the half ton when the wife was driving!!!

Thanks for the input.
JN

cumminsdad08
04-08-2012, 05:42 PM
just seen a guy roll in this weekend with a newer GMC pulling this trailer, first i seen it, not as large as i was expecting. his truck looked nice pulling it. didn't sag or seem to bog down any while moving in the campground. didn't talk to him, he hid in his trailer the whole time and was gone before me and the dog could get by him this morning.

JRTJH
04-10-2012, 09:21 AM
I tow a Springdale 242 which is essentially the same size and weight as the trailer you're considering. I've towed with an F150 for nearly 5,000 miles and zero problems. No "western mountains" but the Smokey's through West Virginia/Kentucky/Ohio were no problem. Just watch your truck loading, it's pretty easy to let the total payload creep up on you with extra stuff in the bed and the front of the RV.