PDA

View Full Version : Two way radios

SteveC7010
01-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Many of us use some type of two way radios in conjunction with our RV's. As some of you may have heard, the Federal Communications Commission has enacted some rule changes that go into effect at the end of 2012. Basically, these rules require some two way radios to transmit their signals using a narrower portion of the radio channel. This is called "narrowbanding."

You may hear a lot of talk about narrowbanding in the months ahead and wonder if it applies to your radio systems, whatever they may be.

CB radios (27 MHZ) are not affected by the new rules.
FRS (Family Radio Service) is not affected (bubble pack radios found in all the stores.)
GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is not affected by the new rules.
Marine Radio is not affected.
MURS (Multi Use Radio Service) is not affected.

That takes care of 99.9% of us. For the remaining folks, if your radio system is VHF High Band or UHF and is licensed under Part 90 of the FCC rules, it is most likely covered in the narrowband mandate. This will include both public safety and business licensees. For further information, check with your system administrator.

chuck&gail
01-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks. I love government garbage I can ignore. Knowing WHICH to ignore helps a lot!

jramsey
01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Narrowbanding has been going on for years in the fire service. It is not even noticed and does not change performance significantly. As Steve says it does not even effect us in the RV world with FRS or CB radios.

cumminsdad08
01-10-2012, 05:24 PM
what about nextels two way, am i going to have to buy another work phone......again.....:banghead::rofl:

SteveC7010
01-10-2012, 07:08 PM
what about nextels two way, am i going to have to buy another work phone......again.....:banghead::rofl:

If you are referring to cell phone "two-ways", that entire frequency range was narrowband from the day it was introduced and is not covered by the mandate. The mandate only affects real two way radio systems in the VHF High and UHF frequency bands.

You don't have (or need) an FCC license for your Nextels, and as I originally stated, only licensees covered by Part 90 of the FCC rules are affected.

cumminsdad08
01-11-2012, 02:27 AM
i was kinda a joke, ha ha. i figured cell phones were good to go.

smiller
01-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Can't wait for all that primo 'obsolete' commercial gear to hit the amateur radio market...

SteveC7010
01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Can't wait for all that primo 'obsolete' commercial gear to hit the amateur radio market...

That's been happening for the best part of a year now. Prices on non-compliant radios are dropping constantly. A primo Motorola GM300 with mic, power cord, and hanger bracket is going for under $100 on Ebay now.

Even compliant stuff is getting cheap because so many systems have jumped to digital or trunked 800 or whatever.

Give it another 6 months, and the market will be flooded. This time next year, some of this stuff will be give-ways.