PDA

View Full Version : F 150 OEM Black Platform Running Boards, Tailgate & Side Step

RDB
01-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Later this month I plan on ordering a 2012 F 150 Crew, Ecoboost, w/HD & Max tow package. I am considering ordering the black platform running boards; light weight and functional vs style. Also trying to keep the manufactured payload above 2,220 lbs. Searched various sites but did not see comments for or against nor have I seen them on the dealer lots (no running boards or chrome package)

If anyone has the black platform running boards on their truck; are they holding up/ok or are they marginal and I should consider something else?

Also (in my 60's) plan on ordering the tailgate and box side steps; if you have these options are they working as you thought they would?; feel free to give your pro/con comments.

JRTJH
01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
You didn't mention if you were buying a 4x2 or a 4x4. The extra running gear will reduce your payload also. Ford advertises their "payload" for the truck with minimal options, then when they build yours, they subtract each of the ordered options from that "advertised payload" as they install them. Once the truck is weighed at the end of the line, they print the yellow sticker to put on the driver's doorjamb. Depending on what you order, your payload will be specific to your vehicle and may not be anywhere near the advertised payload.

As for the black running boards, I had them on my 2005 Ranger FX4 and they held up really well. I ordered the 5" oval Black "OEM Aftermarket" from my Ford Dealer and installed them on my 2010 FX4 when I bought it. They also have held up well through the Michigan winter and my 4 Wheelling summer. I'd say they are durable and will serve you well. Total weight for both is about 50 lbs. (That's on a supercab) They may weigh a few more pounds for the crewcab. I didn't get the side steps or the tailgate step because I didn't want anything hanging under the truck to get damaged in the woods and because I installed a corner rear bumper step which gives me a more stable and easier to access way into the bed. Remember, the new F150's are significantly taller than the older ones, you won't get into the bed without a step of some sort unless you want to sit on the tailgate and roll into the bed... (Especially at our age) <sigh>

RDB
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I will be ordering the 4x4. Before options the advertised payload capacity is 2,310 lbs.

I know I will be ordering the tailgate step, it does make it easier getting into the truck bed. Still undecided on the side step; additional weight and would not be as often as the tailgate step.