PDA

View Full Version : I-70 West-Denver to Grand Junction

JerJan10
01-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Has anyone travelled I-70 West between Denver and Grand Junction, CO with a stock F250 7.3 PSD that does not have the Tow/Haul feature or after-market exhaust braking, etc. Going up is no problem but I'm concerned about going down. The fifth wheel is 8,600#, total weight is 16,500.
Thanks, JT

hankaye
01-01-2012, 08:19 PM
JerJan10, Howdy;

You shouldn't have any problems.

When you top a hill, pick the speed you want to maintain on the down hill. I generaly pick about 5 under the speed limit. Then I use gentel break pressure to maintain the speed. I try to start the breaking AT the desired speed and using the break pressure slow my speed to 5 mph under the
speed I want. then allow the speed to rise the 5 mph (allowes the breaks to cool), then repete the cycle.

If you are going during the winter be sure you have chains. The chain-up gypses will vacuum your wallet if you don't have your own. tha may include some for the trailer as well.

Less hills if ya go through Wyoming on I-80. May still need the chains...

hankaye

larrym
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
If I may jump on this thread, do any of you folks chain-up the 5er as well? When chains are "required" to continue, are they required (either on or on hand) for a towed RV?

CarKath
01-01-2012, 09:52 PM
If my memory serves me correct. To travel in Colorado in general. You require chains and other safety equipment. Basics like flare or reflectors , fire extinguisher.

If you are asking if you put a drag chain .( chaining trailer wheel )

My guess is no.Unless it it called for . There will be no mistake if they want it. Signage will tell you this. It is not normally required to use.

If you need a drag chain to pull a hill.......... stay put for an extra day. Cheaper for hotel or camping if you can. Than it is to deal with stupid people.

hankaye
01-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Howdy All;

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/laws.html

hankaye

SteveC7010
01-02-2012, 06:44 AM
If I read the Colorado info sheet correctly, this only applies to vehicles that are used in commerce to transport passengers or property AND meet the weight requirements. It also states that chains are not required on trailers.

http://www.coloradodot.info/travel/library/Brochures/ChainTips.pdf

That being said, I think I'd carry chains and use them wherever commercial vehicles are required to do so in Colorado.

Johnnyfry
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Coming out of the Eisenhower tunnel going West you are faced with a long continuous downhill to Frisco. As I remember it is 6 % for about 10 miles AND it can snow/sheet in July.

Word to the wise.

John

hankaye
01-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Howdy All;

They will enforce chain laws for ALL vehicals. They are especialy tight on commercial as they end up making bigger messes... Also factor in the 'I had a fight with my significant other factor', and other such stuff... Why take the chance...? Be safe, when they say chain up ...chain up.. Much rather be safe than sorry...

As I stated eariler... the grades are better in Wyoming...

hankaye

Outbackmel
01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Have friends who traveled west in late fall a few years ago on Goldwing motorcycles with cargo trailers. Were "stuck" in HELL between crouching between bikes with ponchos to keep from being torn up by hail to black iced mountain roads and could not even hold bikes up! These are "strong" men; police and firefighters at the time.

If you run into bad conditons, why not stay put and wait it out until you can be sure of your safety. It's just irresponsible to put not only yourself but rescue personnel in danger.

If you are in a hurry, fly and rent a car at destination.

Be safe in 2012 and enjoy your RV in the appropriate manner it was designed for. I am pretty certain snow covered mountain or any icy roads were not a manufacturer consideration. I am heading east to west in 3 weeks, southern route. Any iced roads enroute will have us experiencing "local" hospitality. :bdance:

Bob Landry
01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Wyoming is known for brutal weather and snowy.icey roads. They will shut down I-80 between Laramie and Rock Springs if it gets bad. Check the weather and road reports.

hankaye
01-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Howdy All;

All of the Mountain (Rockies), will swing the gates on the Inter-States and other roads. Ten days age New Mexico had I-25 shut down due to bad weather all the way down to Los Cruces and I-10 to the Texas Line ... Just sayin' ... Bad weather is just that bad weather. East Coast to West Coast ..... When it get's bad stay put...
Sure Wyoming has big snows, high winds, at least the roller-coaster has lower gradient ups-n-downs. Easier for the vehicle. I-40 thru Northern N.M. isn't much better...Still gets alot of snow.

If it's bad enough to require chains ... it's bad enough to stay put.

hankaye

hsmunoz
01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I just came over I-70 from I-15 into Denver on 12/28. The road itself is very nice. 2 lane ,wide, and I saw alot of RV's of every type going both ways. It was a clear day.

so check the weather and go for it. If the weather is going to be a challenge, don't stress, find an nice place to camp and wait it out. I wish I had my 5th, I would have pulled out in Monument Valley and stayed for a week!.