PDA

View Full Version : Shower drain smell...

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 08:47 AM
Bad smell coming from drain. I poured a gallon of Happy Camper last night, still smells this morning. HELP!!!

chuckster57
06-24-2021, 10:16 AM
Do you leave the gray tank valve open?

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 10:26 AM
No never, only seems to be coming from the shower.

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 10:28 AM
Today I used a mix of dawn in a gallon of water, then filled tank full,then let it sit for a couple of hours and drained.

flybouy
06-24-2021, 10:30 AM
If the drain has a Hepvo valve instead of a "P" trap it may have debris holding it open. Can you visualize under the drain area?

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 10:32 AM
I will look and see, yes there is a access door under the shower. How would you get it to close? Or do you just replace it?

chuckster57
06-24-2021, 10:35 AM
I will look and see, yes there is a access door under the shower. How would you get it to close? Or do you just replace it?

I have been able to take them apart, clean and reassemble. Make note of it’s orientation if you take it out.

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 12:54 PM
After taking off the access door, there is a P trap in there. So now I think it maybe coming from the toilet? Everything is so close in there. We only notice it when the bathroom door is closed for a while.

chuckster57
06-24-2021, 12:56 PM
After taking off the access door, there is a P trap in there. So now I think it maybe coming from the toilet? Everything is so close in there. We only notice it when the bathroom door is closed for a while.

Does the bowl hold water?

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 01:05 PM
Yes we always keep water in there to try and keep the smell down.

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 01:36 PM
It is a Dometic 300, may just need to replace it with a better model... Maybe a cracked in it?

NH_Bulldog
06-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Depending on serial number there was an issue with a bad seal that allows anything sitting in the bowl to migrate into the outer shell. If you have a borescope you can look down into the opening in the back to check for standing liquid, or pull the toilet and tip it upside down and see if anything pours out. Mine was eligible for free replacement by Dometic. This is what I found when I looked in mine:

Gobirds38
06-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Depending on serial number there was an issue with a bad seal that allows anything sitting in the bowl to migrate into the outer shell. If you have a borescope you can look down into the opening in the back to check for standing liquid, or pull the toilet and tip it upside down and see if anything pours out. Mine was eligible for free replacement by Dometic. This is what I found when I looked in mine:
Wow!!! I will look up my serial number.
THANKS!!!

notanlines
06-24-2021, 04:26 PM
Dave, I would start by removing the toilet itself and make sure that the gasket is in its proper place and there are no leaks in the area. I would not just replace the toilet. That would make you a parts replacer, not a mechanic....:lol:

NH_Bulldog
06-24-2021, 04:56 PM
Before I got my replacement (seriously delayed due to Covid), I basically fixed it myself by disassembling the entire toilet and sealing it all back together. While I was at it, I found a broken floor flange and ended up rebuilding the entire rotted bathroom floor this spring before installing the new replacement toilet. The good news is that my floor is more solid now than when it was new. First pic is the rubber seal that rolled when the toilet was built. Second pic is the broken floor flange.

sourdough
06-24-2021, 04:59 PM

I did not have an issue with a Dometic 300 leaking liquid down "inside" but I did with a Thetford. DO NOT think you have it "all out", take it to the dumpster and hoist it head high to put it over the edge; more than likely you will have the "dumping" surprise I encountered - extremely unpleasant. At least there was no one watching.....:lol:

chuckster57
06-24-2021, 05:32 PM
Dave, I would start by removing the toilet itself and make sure that the gasket is in its proper place and there are no leaks in the area. I would not just replace the toilet. That would make you a parts replacer, not a mechanic....:lol:

We are called “techs” now, not mechanics, Sheesh. :facepalm:

tech740
06-25-2021, 12:37 AM
Also you could have an air admittance device under your bathroom sink that is stuck open. If so I would replace with a residential quality one.

flybouy
06-25-2021, 03:42 AM
[QUOTE=chuckster57;455822]We are called “techs” now, not mechanics,
Maybe his secretary typed that?

notanlines
06-25-2021, 04:49 AM

I consider myself duly chastised and will act accordingly.
I would post a big grin, but posting on the phone won’t let this happen.

notanlines
06-25-2021, 04:53 AM
Marshall, “ “secretary” is now mostly considered an old-fashioned title and has been largely replaced by “administrative assistant” or “executive assistant.”
I learned that from my stewardess.

chuckster57
06-25-2021, 05:02 AM
I consider myself duly chastised and will act accordingly.
I would post a big grin, but posting on the phone won’t let this happen.

You know it didn’t really matter to me. :D

wiredgeorge
06-25-2021, 07:19 AM

Charles Bronson was the "Mechanic"! :hide:

flybouy
06-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Marshall, “ “secretary” is now mostly considered an old-fashioned title and has been largely replaced by “administrative assistant” or “executive assistant.”
I learned that from my stewardess.

:lol::lol:Originally I was going to say "gal friday" but I figured a lot of folks wouldn't get the "joke".:):)Extra smile was for the one you couldn't post from your phone.:flowers:

chuckster57
06-25-2021, 01:20 PM
Charles Bronson was the "Mechanic"! :hide:

But he didn’t sing with mike.

CedarCreekWoody
06-25-2021, 04:02 PM
Post 18 mentioned air admittance valve, or AAV. That is an excellent recommendation. Is the smell strong in the cabinet under the sink? This is a common problem. If you are not familiar with an AAV do a search on the forum. Lots of info here.

Gobirds38
06-29-2021, 09:02 AM
Post 18 mentioned air admittance valve, or AAV. That is an excellent recommendation. Is the smell strong in the cabinet under the sink? This is a common problem. If you are not familiar with an AAV do a search on the forum. Lots of info here.

No just around the toilet, my AAV is good and tight with no smell under there. I think it is a problem with my Dometic 300 toilet.

vulcanwayne
07-01-2021, 04:56 PM
Had the same problem with my dometic 300 toilet on a 2020 Passport 3221BH. Contacted dometic direct and with it being less than 2 years old they gave me a free replacement. Problem solved. You will need serial number of toilet ( sticker near floor by water flush valve) and maybe Vin of trailer and possible purchase date.

Gobirds38
07-03-2021, 06:30 PM
SOLVED!!!
It was the Dometic 300. I replaced it today with a 310. Big difference, huge upgrade!!!

NH_Bulldog
07-03-2021, 06:31 PM
Great news!