PDA

View Full Version : Noisy water pump

jramsey
12-30-2011, 02:52 PM
The water pump on my 299RKS works great but it very noisy. Has any one had the same problem? Is there a mod to reduce the noise? Thanks in advance for any info.

Festus2
12-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Water pumps are not quiet creatures at the best of times. You can reduce some of the noise by remounting your pump on a more solid platform with dampening pads at the corners. The pump itself can be mounted on layers of thick cork, rubber or other dense material.
You can also remove some of the short runs of rigid plastic pipe coming into and exiting the pump and replace it with flexible, SS hose/pipe and make sure that any of the rigid pipe where it goes through wall partitions, is not sitting against the edge of the partition. I have placed insulating pipe foam around those pipes that pass through the cut-outs.
Hope this helps you.

jramsey
12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll try that. It is not so terrible that I can not live with it but if I can reduce the noise and tinker just a little bit I'll be happy. :thumbsup:

SteveC7010
12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
If you can do so without creating a situation that will overheat the pump, lining the compartment where the pump is located with soft "eggcrate" foam will help to reduce the noise.

66ken
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I replaced the pex tubing from the pump outlet with a 10' flex hose. This along with pipe insulation made a big difference.

jbsmith
12-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Is there a mod to reduce the noise?

In my previous coach, I noticed that most of the noise was coming from the pump being solidly mounted to the floor of the trailer. It really amplified the vibration. Four 1/4" thick pieces of rubber (one for each of the four mounting points) doubled over with the screws passing through holes in each end was very effective at isolating the pump vibration.

Two flexible rubber hoses, installed at the factory, connected the pump to the rest of the water lines. This helped reduce the coupling of vibration into the rest of the system. Similar Shurflo Pump Silencing Kits (http://www.shurflo.com/Images/Pump-Silencing-Kit---94-591-01_500px(htbpd4).jpg) are available from CW or your local RV dealer. You can also accomplish the same using parts from your local hardware store for a lot less.

In addition to the mods previously mentioned, the addition of an accumulator tank will help reduce some of the pump cycling for short duration use, e.g. flushing toilet, splash of water over a toothbrush, etc.

I plan to add at least a 2 gallon diaphragm tank and in-line filter to my water system in the spring. Shurflo sells smallish 24 Oz Accumulator Tank (http://www.shurflo.com/Images/24-oz.-Nylon-Tank-182-100_200__500px(atbpd4).jpg) for $50 and a 2 Gallon Stainless Steel Accumulator (http://www.shurflo.com/Images/2-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Tank-3400-002_500px(8tbpd4).jpg) for well over $200 (but it sure is pretty). You can get basically the same 2 Gallon Pump Tank (http://www.lowes.com/pd_160654-48324-LPT-2_4294820777_4294937087_?productId=1038561&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sale s_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Pressure%2BTanks_4294820777_42949 37087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp _product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=)in powder coated steel from Lowes/Home Depot. Those sold at Lowes as water storage tanks have a 5 year warranty, while the expansion tanks only carry 1 year. I'm not sure what the difference is, but for $10 more I'll take the 5 year warranty. I'll be posting photos of this mod once we begin installation.

jramsey
12-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks JB! The water tank idea is great, I am definetly going o try that. it is the same princple as a well or reverse osmosis system.

hankaye
12-31-2011, 02:14 PM
jbsmith, Howdy;

what type,kind, brand filter are you thinking about to go with the accumulater ???
Courious as I am thinking of getting a filter system plumbed in...

Thanks,

hankaye

jbsmith
12-31-2011, 02:33 PM
jbsmith, Howdy;

what type,kind, brand filter are you thinking about to go with the accumulater

I went with the GE Clear Whole House System GXWH20S (http://www.homedepot.com/GE/h_d1/N-5yc1vZlo/R-202073874/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) from Home Depot. The unit was only $39.98 and includes mounting bracket, filter wrench, and filter change reminder. I really liked this model since it had a clear canister and also a shut-off/by-pass valve, which will be very handy when it comes time to winterize. It should also be relatively easy to find replacement cartridges. Lowes carries similar models from Whirlpool that are comparably priced. You should go with the largest filter that will reasonably fit within your trailer.

hankaye
01-01-2012, 08:48 AM
jbsmith, Howdy;

Thanks for the link and advises.
In the list of sepc's. it notes that the;

Minimum feed water pressure (psi) : 40

Have stayed at one or 2 CG's where the water pressure would be border line for that. Reckon you'd have to put it in by-pass and use one of the disposable filters when that occours ????? Kinda like the one pictured;

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=RV+water+filters&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7SNNT&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1973069299400784838&sa=X&ei=v40AT7ioC7SFsgKdv9nSAQ&ved=0CI0BEPICMAE#

hankaye

jbsmith
01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Minimum feed water pressure (psi) : 40

Dunno. Honestly that's the first I've read about the minimum water pressure requirement. I didn't notice it in the installation manual. I guess I'll have to go back and take another look.

hankaye
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
jbsmith, Howdy;

Ain't trying to bust yer chops ol'Bud. I just tend to read as much as the
manufacturer is willing to print. Spec. sheets are the first page I turn to.

I have seen some water pressure reg's. that have a pressure gauge attached. May not be able to help to help if the pressure is low but you'll know when to flip the by-pass and/or install a temp. filter in line to keep you right.

hankaye

jimzdat
01-02-2012, 06:05 AM
I cut the noise on mine considerably by putting some "vibration-damping mounts" under it.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for item# 64875K61; these are a light duty isloator, and allows the pump to "wiggle" without transmitting the vibration to the floor boards (as mentioned in an earlier post).

Changed mine from a rattling noise to a slight hum - makes everyone much happier.

And at less than 5 bucks apiece, a relatively cheap fix as well.

Camp I am
01-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Great suggestion on the vibration damping mounts from McMaster. Also just getting the hard lines off of touching any hard surfaces is a big help. I also put a expansion tank in my last TT and will this spring in the new 5vr as well which not only helps a ton with reducing the hammer noise but also is wonderfull at reducing the frequency of the pump running. It's one of the best mods I ever did and highly suggest it. :thumbsup:

f6bits
02-19-2012, 04:18 PM
I just did this today. I bought some of the ½” foam pipe insulator from Home Depot (only 99¢!) and 1 ½” screws and large washers. I just needed some foam I could fold over the mounting tabs to isolate them. I sliced off a ¾” piece of the tubing, then a slit to make it like a C. Put it over the tab and then screwed it down. My tubing is already pretty flexible, so that didn’t need to be addressed. The pump is *much* quieter now. I think the only way to make mine quieter would be some sound dampening material in the surround. While I was at it, I plugged up the giant hole through my floor for the tubing with steel wool and expanding spray foam.

Mighty Ming
02-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Regarding the shurflow system I was kinda skeptical but did it anyway. It was like night and day. Not necessary to make it any quieter now! Simple Mod that really works.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zjcjxp
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

campingcpl
02-29-2012, 06:47 AM
I replaced our pump with a better quality pump and added rubber under the pump and then used expanding foam around the pipes that went through the floor and all you hear now is a slight hum when the pump runs. That's a good thing since our pump is right next to our bed. :thumbsup: When I went to replace the original pump I found that they had only put 3 screws in it and 2 of them were so loose I could lift the pump up about a half inch. I also found that some of the plumbing was up against the floor and wall. Moving the plumbing away from those areas made a big difference too."bouncey:

jje1960
02-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm going to take a look-see soon (getting warmer) and do some stiff foam isolating with the pump, may quiet it down. As for filter, a couple of years ago just went to homedepot and got a $17.00 whole house filter (use the paper cheapo's) and bought brass quick connect fittings. This has worked great, cheap filters from Walmart and have filter that sit's in-between the faucet and the unit. Lot's of great innovative way's to go!