PDA

View Full Version : Access to floor from underneath

JBWardFamily
06-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Hi all. If I remove the chloroplast sheeting from the underside of the rig, can I access the flooring material from underneath or is there something else in the way like a subfloor?

chuckster57
06-09-2021, 10:08 AM
Your only obstacles will be wiring, duct work and holding tanks.

JRTJH
06-09-2021, 07:43 PM
I believe your trailer is a Cougar XLite ??? If so, the floor is a "3 layer sandwich" floor. Depending on what part of the floor structure, you may be able to access it from underneath...

Essentially, starting on top, you have a layer of vinyl or carpet, under that is a 1/4 or 3/8" OSB decking. Under that is 2" of styrofoam and under that is a 1/8" luan sheet. That structure rests on the trailer chassis rails, the outriggers and the center "floor joists" which run parallel to the chassis rails. Under all of that is holding tanks, heat ducting runs, electrical wiring, plumbing runs and "an ungodly amount of trash and sawdust"...

So, be warned, that depending on what you're trying to do, "going in from underneath" may get you where you want to go or it may be wasted time...

What are you trying to achieve ???

JBWardFamily
06-11-2021, 12:18 PM
Great info. I have a couple soft spots in the floor I need to tackle before putting the rig on the market. Doesn't feel right selling it before. I was hoping to be able to fix from underneath but that doesn't seem feasible. I'm just hoping I can do it without damaging the vinyl. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

JRTJH
06-12-2021, 05:55 AM
There are a couple of good threads complete with photos that have been posted by members who were "repairing soft spots" in their "sandwich flooring".

One is located here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39472&highlight=floor+repair

You can click on the SEARCH button in the top bar of any forum webpage, type in "floor repair" and you'll get a list (about 12 pages long) of threads on this forum that include that phrase. There are loads of information about floor repairs that might help you with your project.

JBWardFamily
06-13-2021, 04:39 PM
Thanks. So I'll just have to cut the edges of the vinyl and put trim down to hold it when I put it all back together? Never seen flooring that wasn't put down "after" the walls and sides.