PDA

View Full Version : Water pump runs but no water??

tlw3989
12-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Any suggestions on getting water pump to prime up and supply water? It was working when we picked up the unit ~2 months ago but since the tank has been drained and now refilled, pump will not get prime and pull water from the tank.

cdevill
12-29-2011, 04:59 AM
You don't happen to have a winterization kit installed that a valve could not be open between the pump and the fresh water tank?

CarKath
12-29-2011, 05:00 AM
What unit do you have? Some have a bypass valve for the hot water tank. If it is set to winterize. You will not have hot water as the tank does not even fill until that is set to normal.

tlw3989
12-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I have an 2012 Avalanche 345TG. I do have the by-pass values but they are in the correct location (I have not moved them yet). I do have hot water using city water connects and there is water in the fresh water tank too.

CarKath
12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Do you have power to your water pump? Check the easy stuff first like the fuse.

tlw3989
12-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Yes, pump runs but nevers picks up water from the fresh tank so it builds no pressure resulting in no water to the coach.

CarKath
12-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Is there a leak? Maybe the pump is sucking air and can't build pressure.

tlw3989
12-29-2011, 09:10 AM
I haven't seen any leaks and it worked fine for the first tank full the dealer had it. I'll have to take the panel off this weekend and check the pump connections.

Thanks for all the advise!

hankpage
12-29-2011, 09:18 AM
When you checked the winterizing valve that cdevill mentioned could you see water in the line feeding the water pump. If there is water at this point (and the valve on the pump is in the correct position) your pump should prime if it is working. If there is no water you may have a kink in the line from the fresh water tank or it may be blocked with construction debris from when the trailer was built. This is not uncommon. Disconnecting this tubing and blowing back should clear it and moving the tube around can sometimes work out the kink. I hope this helps, Hank

Movin' on
12-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I think everyone is assuming that the trailer has been winterized, or valve positions changed, but you didn't mention anything about this.

Since the dealer filled the 1st tank full, what has been done? Has the unit been winterized, or has anything been changed with the water system?

In the past after running out of water in the fresh tank and refilling I've had to open a faucet while the pump is running for a few seconds to allow the pump to pick up water (and pressure).

Just thought I'd mention this because sometimes I overlook the simple things.

Happy Camping!

DocData757
12-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I had my camper a year before I tried the water pump (Oops). Anyway, the pump ran with no water pressure even though the tank was full. After someone suggested looking at the winterizing valve handle in the convenience center, I realized it was not correctly marked, turn it to there correct position and problem solved. Keystone has a history of incorrectly marking the valve handles in the convenience center.

Dave

hankaye
12-29-2011, 07:41 PM
tlw3989, Howdy;

After the dealer showed you the tank and pump were functional...
did you just drain the tank, or did you use all the water that was in it ?
If you just drained the tank ... I'm thinking that you may have some debris
clogging the pick-up tube. If you can, see if you can blow back thru the pick-up hose and make bubbles in the tank.. Then you know the hose is clear. there maybe debris inside the pump making it not function...
Only suggestions ...

hankaye

CarKath
12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
To add what Hank said. If you have debris in your tank hindering flow of water. You may want to consider adding this to your system to help eliminate any future troubles. Inline water filter that picks up debris before it gets to trailer.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVhqkhxzjmMl11ZhDYcGvLafT_fn2-iBWS9JGrp5svuujlsZszp_hpLE-VQQ

You can get one at Walmart.

hankaye
12-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Howdy All;

Not to rude, I was meaning the crud left in the tank when they drill/cut the
holes for installation of the hoses for filling, venting, etc. at the assembly point.

hankaye

CarKath
12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Sorry if I offended you Hank. I was expanding on your information. You are 100% correct and my mind never went to factory debris causing an issue. But something that can be and is an issue.

Carl

tlw3989
12-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks all for the replys!! The unit has NOT been winterized and nothing has been done tothe water system other than attached to city water several times while camping. Pump worked fine until fresh tank was emptied. The water lines and pump are behind panels in the basement storage and I haven't had a chance to open it up to take a look...guess that is my next step this weekend. I have opened faucets and nothing...pump just runs dry. I'll try blowing into the supply line to check for clogs.

Thanks again!

Oh, I do have to share a picture of the rig...we LOVE IT!!

2011 keystone
12-30-2011, 07:25 AM
I can see why you love it VERY nice:thumbsup: hope you get the pump problem fixed.

hankaye
12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
CarKath, Howdy;

Sorry if I offended you Hank. I was expanding on your information. You are 100% correct and my mind never went to factory debris causing an issue. But something that can be and is an issue.
Carl

No, no, no, you weren't offending me , my thinking was that I might be offending or steping on your toes. Sorry if it came across the wrong way. :wave:

hankaye