PDA

View Full Version : Black tank cleaning

colouiss651
05-30-2021, 11:06 AM
Tide pods was suggested as a good cleaner for black tanks. Seems crazy, but my input valve for the sprayer stuck shut over the winter. I was wondering if the tide pods might have caused that. Anyone out there experience this problem? Camper is only two years old.

notanlines
05-30-2021, 12:35 PM
ANY of the pods are not recommended for cleaning the tank. They generally require a certain amount of agitation to dissolve the covering and that won't happen in the tank. Why not use a product that was made for it rather than somebody's less than good idea off Facebook!

sourdough
05-30-2021, 12:48 PM
Tide pods was suggested as a good cleaner for black tanks. Seems crazy, but my input valve for the sprayer stuck shut over the winter. I was wondering if the tide pods might have caused that. Anyone out there experience this problem? Camper is only two years old.

I am very dubious of any "pod" being dropped into the black tank hoping it will "dissolve". In my experience they don't/won't. Bought a box of those pods meant for a black tank and put one in. When it came time to dump watched 3/4 of the pod and its plastic? cover come right out of drain. Trouble waiting to happen so that box of "pods" went to the BIG POD in the sky!! ;) Now DW uses them in the home washer with no issue but that's an entirely different situation.

tech740
05-30-2021, 01:35 PM
The TST pods break down quick. I just put one in a bucket of water the other day. It dissolved quick and the entire pail turned orange.

Blackrock
05-30-2021, 02:58 PM
On the last day of a trip I will dump out the black tank at the last stop, add two 5 gallon buckets of water and a laundry detergent pod. By the time we come down through the mountains it,s pretty well agitated. I dump again when I get home into the septic tank and flush it real well. Add 5 gallons and an orange pod and we're good.

flybouy
05-30-2021, 06:43 PM

If you're refrencing the anti-siphone valve then it likely froze. Replace it. Typically it's located high up under the bathroom sink.