PDA

View Full Version : New Passport 195RB - no anti sway hitch

Magellan
12-25-2011, 06:31 AM
We just arrived home to New Mexico after purchasing a Passport 195RB in Denver. Our towing vehicle is a 6 cylinder Ford Sport Trac rated to pull 5080 lbs. For the most part, the trip back, all 444 miles of it, was uneventful, and we managed to drive at 60 MPH until we hit headwinds of maybe 25 MPH. That slowed us to 50 MPH.

As we have just purchased our 195RB, we did not have a chance to install an anti-sway/weight distribution hitch. Nevertheless, we didn't experience any problems even with the headwind and semis passing. I'm not recommending pulling without this hitch, but as this has been a frequently discussed topic, I thought I put in my 2 cents worth. Also, our gas mileage plummeted from a normal 17 MPG to only 10 MPG, but we expected this.

So far no problems noticed except a slight separation of the lining inside the storage compartment. It appears to be minimal and we will caulk it when the weather warms up..

chuck&gail
12-25-2011, 03:29 PM
CONGRATULATIONS on new toy.

Antisway is very rarely needed. Problem is that WHEN you need it it is too late to buy it unless you are very fast on the brake override, and lucky.