PDA

View Full Version : Cougar HC 291RLS

reubenray
12-12-2011, 04:55 AM
We looked at this model again and it is still is on the top of our list, but have a few questions. This model has everything we want except for two items. One is a gas grill hookup similar to the Sydney model and the other is a sliding bike rack. Searching the internet I have found some models that have the bike rack, but nothing is shown in brochures.

Are the gas grill and bike rack options that can be ordered?

SteveC7010
12-12-2011, 05:02 AM
We looked at this model again and it is still is on the top of our list, but have a few questions. This model has everything we want except for two items. One is a gas grill hookup similar to the Sydney model and the other is a sliding bike rack. Searching the internet I have found some models that have the bike rack, but nothing is shown in brochures.

Are the gas grill and bike rack options that can be ordered?

By "ordered", do you mean as options installed on a brand new trailer from the factory, or purchased afterwards and installed either by an RV shop or by you?

Regarding the Keystone slide-out bike rack, there are several threads here already about them, and the reviews and opinions are mixed at best. I have on on our righ and am not thrilled with it at all. If I have further problems, it is coming off and being replaced with something much better in both form and function.

My Cougar has the quick connect for the gas grille or other propane appliance, but the grille itself did not come with the trailer. Since the fitting is there, it would be no problem to purchase one, either aftermarket or even the same make and model that Keystone supplies.

reubenray
12-12-2011, 05:18 AM
By "ordered", do you mean as options installed on a brand new trailer from the factory, or purchased afterwards and installed either by an RV shop or by you?

Regarding the Keystone slide-out bike rack, there are several threads here already about them, and the reviews and opinions are mixed at best. I have on on our righ and am not thrilled with it at all. If I have further problems, it is coming off and being replaced with something much better in both form and function.

My Cougar has the quick connect for the gas grille or other propane appliance, but the grille itself did not come with the trailer. Since the fitting is there, it would be no problem to purchase one, either aftermarket or even the same make and model that Keystone supplies.

"Ordered" means from the factory. I have read the threads concerning the slideout bike rack and the bad welding. I already plan on having a welder check everything out with whatever I get.

I was not aware of the "quick connect for the gas grill".

SteveC7010
12-12-2011, 06:46 AM
"Ordered" means from the factory. I have read the threads concerning the slideout bike rack and the bad welding. I already plan on having a welder check everything out with whatever I get.

I guess the Keystone rack is personal preference. I'd still suggest that you look at one for yourself before placing an order, not for the weld and material strength, but more for form and function.

I was not aware of the "quick connect for the gas grill".

I don't see the quick connect as a Standard or Option in the High Country info online. The outside grille isn't listed either. Since they change how they do things from year to year, I think checking with your dealer may be the best route on this one.

FWIW, adding some gas line and a quick connect is a very easy mod once you have the trailer, especially if you have a preference for a different grille from the one Keystone usually supplies.

reubenray
12-24-2011, 04:15 AM
In the process of looking for our first FW one thing that I would love to have is a leveling system. My wife keeps telling me that the salesman said the 291 we looked at had this. I think he was referring to the power front and back stabilizing jacks.

Do the Cougar's come with leveling systems?

SteveC7010
12-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Do the Cougar's come with leveling systems?

I looked at the Keystone website and don't find the leveling system as a standard or option for any of the Cougars.

I think it is an option for the high end models.

You can always check with your RV dealer for more info.

mhs4771
12-24-2011, 07:46 AM
If you're interested in an Auto Leveling system, you might want to set-up a notch and look at the Montanas. All new Montanas should now be coming from the Factory with the Level-Up Auto Leveling system. If you're set on a Cougar, you might be able to have an Auto Level system installed aftermarket. Our Monty didn't come with the system, but we added it later. Not as nice and clean install, but one slick system.

reubenray
12-24-2011, 09:41 AM
There is an ad in December's issue advertising the Level Up system on page 32. It has a spot that has "New Level Up Installation Locations" and there is one fairly close to me (Houston) so I may check into it.

The Montana models are to heavy for my tow vehicle.

reubenray
01-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Does this model have a battery disconnect?

Harley76
01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
We have a 2012 291rls HC. yes it has battery disconnect and it has gas quick connect for a grill. There is a attachable rear bumper bike rack available that's rated for two bikes, our service dept. said if we wanted one that would hold more than two we would have to have a receiver welded to the frame.

reubenray
01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I went to the RV show in Fort Worth and was surprised that there was no Keystone models there.

reubenray
01-13-2012, 03:09 AM
What brand of TV and DVD player does the Cougar HC have?

SteveC7010
01-13-2012, 05:13 AM

I looked it up on the Keystone website which shows the following for the DVD player:

Jensen True Home CD/DVD system with speakers and separate zones (12-volt compatible)

They don't list a brand for the TV. Ours came with a Legend brand LCD 32".

You may be better off asking Keystone or a dealer questions like this because they tend to change their offerings quite a bit.

jbsmith
01-13-2012, 07:01 AM
There is an ad in December's issue advertising the Level Up system on page 32.

Make sure you're sitting down when you hear the price quote! We've got an appointment scheduled for this spring to have the system installed on our new 331MKS. We're looking at close to $5K...but it will be worth it IMO.

Jim & Kay
01-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Our 291 RLS has a 32" Vizio TV and Jensen Entertainment center. Don't know if they use these brands in all the Cougar HCs or not.

reubenray
01-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I guess these do not have DD 5.1 sound? I could only find 4 speakers in the one I looked at today.

Also is the remote for the jacks, awnings, etc. worth getting?

SteveC7010
01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Also is the remote for the jacks, awnings, etc. worth getting?

Yup, it's great to be able to control the slides and awning plus the landing gear from outside the rig. I can stop motion if I see a problem with a seal or whatever.

And it's a real show stopper in the campgrounds. Everybody wants to see us set up with the remote.

reubenray
01-19-2012, 02:09 PM
While getting prices for the 291RLS I found out today the Cougar HC has a Diamond Edition. The salesman asked which one I was looking at and then said there are two levels now.

Does anyone know exactly what is on the Diamond Edition model?

jramsey
01-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Being reletivly new to hitching FW I find the remote on my HC well worth it. I can adjust the level of the front up or down to fine tune the height from the cab of my truck.