PDA

View Full Version : Cover for slide out

DGunter
03-21-2021, 06:01 AM
We just purchased a 2021 Keystone Cougar 25RDS and it does not have a cover over the slide out to keep leaves and debris out as we have seen on other campers. Is it recommended that we get a cover installed?

jasin1
03-21-2021, 06:12 AM
We just purchased a 2021 Keystone Cougar 25RDS and it does not have a cover over the slide out to keep leaves and debris out as we have seen on other campers. Is it recommended that we get a cover installed?

A lot of people get them and it’s mixed reviews if you need/want them or not...I don’t have them ...I like the idea but we camp by the ocean and I have heard they can be noisy and problematic in windy areas...when we were in Delaware last year I asked someone that had them if they were really noisy inside...they said “ not too bad” but someone the prior week had there ripped off in bad wind

BrooksFam
03-21-2021, 06:34 AM
I have "slide toppers" and always will. We camp mostly in Oregon where there are lots of pine and fir trees. I like not having to deal with the needles and other debris on the slide roof.

I don't feel its noisy at all in light wind, but does make a little noise in some gusty winds depending on the direction of the wind. 99% of the time there is no noise.

Ken / Claudia
03-21-2021, 06:47 AM
I have had them on rvs with slides due to camping under or near trees. It's either leaves or worse pine needles. Without the cover I would be up there on the roof or ladder sweeping them off every time before closing.
I am told they deflect some heat away from the slide roof in hot temps. I think that is feasible to believe. But, I don't camp in really hot temps to test that out. Camped near and at the ocean in wind, in mountains during thunder storms. Mine have been 8 to 10 ft. slides and not a problem with flapping that was noisy. If I was always camping in high winds, I might not want them.

jasin1
03-21-2021, 06:55 AM
I like the idea.. I was actually going to install them but a curious thing about some fifth wheels is the placement of the dinette slide...with having two awnings on the same side I would have to offset the dinette slide and it wouldn’t cover the dinette completely...I am pretty particular and even if it did cover completely I wonder if some debris ,leaves or pine needles can still get blown under the topper? I would find myself still double checking probably anyway .. since mine wouldn’t cover completely it would be more of a cosmetic upgrade on the dinette slide. .... I have a telescopic ladder and a eGO power blower that makes short work of getting water and debris off each slide... I still may get them

Javi
03-21-2021, 07:16 AM
I like the idea.. I was actually going to install them but a curious thing about some fifth wheels is the placement of the dinette slide...with having two awnings on the same side I would have to offset the dinette slide and it wouldn’t cover the dinette completely...I am pretty particular and even if it did cover completely I wonder if some debris ,leaves or pine needles can still get blown under the topper? I would find myself still double checking probably anyway .. since mine wouldn’t cover completely it would be more of a cosmetic upgrade on the dinette slide. .... I have a telescopic ladder and a eGO power blower that makes short work of getting water and debris off each slide... I still may get them

I called 3 of the awning companies and none of them will recommend a slide awning to work with the stupid little awning Keystone put on the slide.

jasin1
03-21-2021, 07:26 AM
I called 3 of the awning companies and none of them will recommend a slide awning to work with the stupid little awning Keystone put on the slide.

Was going to add them at time of sale... my salesman called me back and said it unfortunately would not work ..could get them on the other slides but not that one...went and visited the dealer day before delivery while they were installing 2nd AC .. one mech said he could install over the slide ..another mech walked up and said nope... I left when they started arguing amongst themselves and passed on that install.... but I did get to watch the 22 year old guy installing the ac smoking inside my new trailer and apparently he didn’t know what a dropcloth was because there was a pile of sawdust on my new mattress and all of his tools laying everywhere ....oh well what are ya gonna do...I’m trying to have less stress in my life so I just looked at the sky and screamed “SERENITY NOW “..and went on my way

Ken / Claudia
03-21-2021, 07:57 AM
As to pine needles getting onto the slide roof under a slide awning. I suppose it does happen. I gave up looking after several trips and nothing up there.
I just found a pile of needles under the roof refer cover. Likely collected on roof and blew under it as we drove.