PDA

View Full Version : Windchimes? Really?

f6bits
12-09-2011, 06:13 PM
We stayed at a State Park campground this past week and had a spot next to a semi-long termer. She had wind chimes hanging from the pin of her fifth wheel, and left them up all night to sway in the winds we’ve been having lately. They’re quite easy to hear in our trailer that’s less than 20 ft. from the chimes.

I thought it was a no-brainer to stow the noise-makers, but saw some other forum (rv.net?) where it seemed to be evenly split between the for- and against- camps. Am I really so intolerant that I have a new pet peeve?

hankpage
12-09-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I'll bet they would throw me out of the park if I played my radio outside all night long. :mad: I guess you can tell this is one of my pet peeves. Travel safely (and quietly), Hank .................. AAARRRH! you got my blood pressure up. "bouncey:

SteveC7010
12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Most campgrounds have quiet hours starting around 10 PM. IMHO, anything that makes noise during quiet hours is a no-no. Wind chimes, however pleasant they might be in the daytime, become nuisances during quiet hours.

I think they could be considered intentional annoyances given the very close proximity of neighboring trailers.

JRTJH
12-09-2011, 08:26 PM
A set of wind chimes (no matter how melodious) can be soothing in a soft breeze, but in the winds you've faced in SoCal this past week, I'd be as concerned with the tubes becomming projectiles. I can only imagine how loud that would sound in 50+MPH winds all night long. I think I'd have been knocking on a door at midnight. If I'm kept awake, I'd at least let the perpetrator know that I'm awake.....

richf28
12-10-2011, 03:36 AM
the wife and I have an agreement. NO WINDCHIMES. At home or on the road. She loves them because their whimsical. To me their just noisemakers with no rythem of sound just noise. She does has her area at home though (that I try to avoid) where she has them and enjoys them.

Outbackmel
12-10-2011, 08:21 AM
WOW.....what a forum! I am coming out with a new patent: "wind chime socks". Look for me on QVC and at my book signing...:bdance:

Just slip these babies on and your neighbors will have a restful evening. ;)

I see a new Prevost in my future!!

hankpage
12-10-2011, 08:40 AM
WOW.....what a forum! I am coming out with a new patent: "wind chime socks". Look for me on QVC and at my book signing...:bdance:

Just slip these babies on and your neighbors will have a restful evening. ;)

I see a new Prevost in my future!!

Somehow "Prevostmel" doesn't have the same ring to it and please don't park next to me and block my Wi-Fi signal. Being up all night with the darn wind-chimes made me grumpy.
..... Hey! How about a spray foam that you could sneak over at night and spray them so they only do a dull clunk. Sell it with a pen light and ski mask. ...... On second thought ... leave room for my Prevost. :thumbsup:

OK Festus2, Do you think I should move this thread to "Odds -N- Ends" so we don't keep the folks in Campgrounds awake at night??? ;)

Festus2
12-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Wind chime socks, spray foam, pen lights and ski masks......mmmmmmm .. sounds like this post might be better off in the Upgrades and Modifications section or, since they are fairly complex, high-end items, perhaps the Technical Corner would be the best spot for the post. Hank .... have you been into the egg nog again?

kenn209
12-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I'll be sure to buy another set of wind chimes for the other side of the awning! lol You guys crack me up!

Jim W
12-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I have to agree with the above poster on wind chimes also. I would also like to add to this: the "Dingle Berries" that people leave turn on all night hanging from their awnings and strung up between the camper and trees.
I was at a KOA in WI this year were I mention this to the operator of the campground. In their operation statement; you could not hang a clothes line up because someone could be hurt by walking into it. I asked why could you hang the " Dingle Berries up (Christmas lights where being used) between the camper and the surrounding tress and not a clothes line, since to me these would do the same thing if you walked into them. No Answer from him.
I like a somewhat darken campground to camp in not on a brightly lit city street that most campers prefer doing now.
Sorry for the rant if I offended anyone.
Jim W.

kenn209
12-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Yep, I turn off my awning lights and any others that might be. I think light pollution is worse than wind chimes... lol, But if it does get really windy everything comes down and the awning gets put away..

antiqfreq
12-11-2011, 09:20 AM
I've been camping where the guy left his scare lights on ALL night.

If he is so 'scared' why didn't he stay home ?

Jo

JRTJH
12-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I think there's 4 kinds of people who camp.

1. Those that have it together and it seems like everything works out well for them.

2. Those that have it together and it almost always works out well.

3. Those that feel "entitled" and don't give a damn about anybody else.

4. Those that try so hard, but it seems like there's always something going wrong for them.

I sometimes envy the first, hope people think of me as being in the second category, can barely tolerate the third and want to take the fourth under my wing, give them a hug and assure them things will get better :bdance:

f6bits
12-11-2011, 01:49 PM
I read the rules and regs for the park we were at and their quiet hours section said something along the lines of “all radios and noise making devices must be turned off.” And then went on about quite ones being allowed inside the TV.

Festus2
12-11-2011, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=JRTJH;24619]I think there's 4 kinds of people who camp.

1. Those that have it together and it seems like everything works out well for them.

2. Those that have it together and it almost always works out well.

3. Those that feel "entitled" and don't give a damn about anybody else.

4. Those that try so hard, but it seems like there's always something going wrong for them.

Mmmmmmm. Perhaps there are these same 4 kinds of people everywhere you go - not just in campgrounds! Unfortunately, there seems to be a growing number of those in group #3 - the "entitled" and the "ME" campers. Or maybe I am just becoming old and crotchety.

f6bits
12-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Festus2, I’d like to think that you’re becoming old and crotchety :p, and not that more people are becoming jerks. I suspect that in twenty years, *these* will be the “good ol’ days” when everybody was neighborly and 2030 will be the year of the self-serving jerks.

hankpage
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Festus2, I’d like to think that you’re becoming old and crotchety :p, and not that more people are becoming jerks. I suspect that in twenty years, *these* will be the “good ol’ days” when everybody was neighborly and 2030 will be the year of the self-serving jerks.

sdayman, I hope you're wrong although I doubt I'll be around to see it.(unless they let me park my Cougar at the nursing home) Festus2, I'll bet you thought I was going to comment on your "Old and crotchety" statement. :wave: :rolleyes:

mikell
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
we were staying long term at a campground and the neighbor was a weekender. Well the first week was fine then they showed up and never shut up till we went in to hide then they still wanted to visit. Lights on all night then when they left Sunday they left all the lights on. First week I called them and they figured ours didn't work so they left them on. After the second weekend we decided to look for a new spot. Money was no object. We moved onto the water double the cost. Told them we were waiting for an opening. The next weekend both our neighbors moved on to other places. Sunday night the neighbors from hell moved next to us and left the lights on. We left Wednesday afternoon. Twenty miles away

ksfis43
12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Scissors will quiet them right up! Well, after they bang to the ground!

We stayed at a State Park campground this past week and had a spot next to a semi-long termer. She had wind chimes hanging from the pin of her fifth wheel, and left them up all night to sway in the winds we’ve been having lately. They’re quite easy to hear in our trailer that’s less than 20 ft. from the chimes.

I thought it was a no-brainer to stow the noise-makers, but saw some other forum (rv.net?) where it seemed to be evenly split between the for- and against- camps. Am I really so intolerant that I have a new pet peeve?

JRTJH
12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
we were staying long term at a campground and the neighbor was a weekender. Well the first week was fine then they showed up and never shut up till we went in to hide then they still wanted to visit. Lights on all night then when they left Sunday they left all the lights on. First week I called them and they figured ours didn't work so they left them on. After the second weekend we decided to look for a new spot. Money was no object. We moved onto the water double the cost. Told them we were waiting for an opening. The next weekend both our neighbors moved on to other places. Sunday night the neighbors from hell moved next to us and left the lights on. We left Wednesday afternoon. Twenty miles away

Sorry to hear the outcome of your attempted resolutions. Sometimes things just don't work out the way we'd like them to. Did you approach management or the weekender and lay out what you felt was the problem? While it may not have helped, once the other neighbors also moved, at least management should have seen the problem and taken some action. It stinks that you had to leave because of that kind of problem. :(

Camp I am
12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
I just leave my generator on so I dont have to listen to the wind chimes.. :rofl:

Seriously though, I also enjoy a nice dark and quiet campground, and I always respect my camping neighbors day and night. Camp by example is my rule.

cumminsdad08
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
i say deal with it, hey you never know, you could lose your hearing and never hear anything again. don't let dumb wind chimes, or lights ruin your camping. there are more important things to stress out about. i am sure that if you asked nicely and explained your issue, they would most likely be cooperative with you, instead of complaining on the internet every time something doesn't suit you. not to be mean, and don't take it the wrong way. i just know from experiance. just easier to work with people then get bent out of shape. i do it on a daily basis with work.

Festus2
12-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I may be mistaken, but the point that is trying to be made here is that you shouldn't have to ask about wind chimes or lights or music during periods when most people are heading off to bed and want to get some sleep. It would be my hope and expectation that people in a campsite are considerate enough of others to realize that what they are doing just may be annoying or bothering people around them at this time of night. Why should people have to put up with the insensitivity and inconsiderate actions and behavior of others?
When we go camping we are not looking "to get stressed out" nor should we find ourselves in an environment where we need to have to go talk to these people.
As you indicated, having a nice chat and explaining your situation might be the best way to deal with this. Hopefully, they would be understanding, co-operative and receptive to your concerns. However, what do you then do or say if the response is.... "What's it to you, buddy? If you don't like it, leave." How do you then "deal with it" without "getting stressed out or bent out of shape"?
Food for thought.

richf28
12-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Though I'm not a fan of windchimes and some peoples excessive lights, it wouldn't cause me conflict with the neighbors. I guess it could be worse like barking dogs or their arguing with their spouses. Encountered that before too.

mikell
12-13-2011, 03:19 AM
The park manager loved the neighbors from hell because they would talk to him all day and have breakfast lunch and dinner together. UP at 6AM and bed after midnight either the stereo with country music or the TV going outside all the time.

CarKath
12-13-2011, 07:41 PM
I persoanly do not like the chimes. I hate the light noise more.

hankaye
12-13-2011, 07:46 PM
sdayman, Howdy;

I read the rules and regs for the park we were at and their quiet hours section said something along the lines of “all radios and noise making devices must be turned off.” And then went on about quite ones being allowed inside the TV.

If you haven't complained about the chimes yet ..... got wire cutters???

"Reckon the wind blew them off the whatknot wot were holdin'em ...."

hankaye

kenn209
12-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Pretty soon ya'll be complaining cause my campfire is making too much noise. lol

JRTJH
12-14-2011, 04:23 AM
Pretty soon ya'll be complaining cause my campfire is making too much noise. lol

Ken, Now that you mention it...... :rofl:

:wave:

SAABDOCTOR
12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
WOW3 PAGES OVER WINDCHIMES YIKES. WHEN IGET HOME I'LL THROW MINE OUT! GOOD NEWS IS EVERYONE AROUND ME HAS THEM. IF SOMEONE ASKED ME I WOULD TAKE THEM DOWN AT NIGHT. I HVE BEEN LUCKY EVERY CAMPERI HAVE MET HAS BEEN NICE EXCEPT ONE. THEY HAULED HIM OFF IN CUFFS...:cool3:

cumminsdad08
12-14-2011, 12:36 PM
from my experience with work, i deal with people, a lot of people. most of the time i am out in the field, but i do sit in for our dispatcher, and people will usually work with you in person, and get what i call "phone guts" when you talk to them in email or phone. in the past 6 years and on avarage 5-6 people a day, i bet i only had a hand full be uncooperative to my face. then you handle that as it comes. no need to get upset or bent out of shape. and i deal with a lot of grumpy people.

as for the wind chimes, i don't know that i would have known it was a problem if i would have hung them up. i am sure i do lots of things that i wouldn't think to be a big deal, and i have had people ask me to do some things that i didn't even realize i was doing. i am not refering to music, or tvs or just plain being loud here. this is only refering to the stated wind chimes. give the benfit of the doubt and maybe they don't know it was an issue. i am not defending anyone, or sticking up for wind chimes ( NOT ALLOWED IN MY HOUSE), just seen a lot of people shoot anger at the guy on here. not everyone has the "common sense" that seems to be implied here.

SAABDOCTOR
12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
I to deal with the public every day 30= plus i am a service manager/mechanic at a very busy auto repair shop. I agree most 95% are very nice others well.... Won't cuse on the forum.from what i see at work only comon sence is a lost art! But being nice is hanging in thak you! I have yet to yell at a customer, talking it out is the best way. And quiet time is quiet time only god can make noise and get away with it.:)

f6bits
12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Just to let you know how it worked out...

I hadn't met that neighbor and noticed other odd quirks, so I didn't want the fist words out of my mouth to be complaints about her decor. While she was gone, I gently looped the central gong over the chimes which stopped most of the sound. By the time we checked out, I'd said a few hellos to her and she seemed very nice, but never mentioned the wind chimes, nor did she seem to notice they'd been rearranged.

Yes, naughty me, tampering with a neighbor's stuff. I'll work on my social skills.

SAABDOCTOR
12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
I LIKE WHAT YOU DID! VERY CLEVER. AT LEAST YOU DID NOT CUT THE TREE DOWN AND LEAVE A NOTE SAYIN THAT WILL SHUT THEM NOISE MAKERS UP!!! LOL:bdance:

richf28
12-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Geez Whiz, Don't take it so personal. Maybe this should have been posted as a poll without comments.

SAABDOCTOR
12-15-2011, 05:12 AM
AT 4 PAGES IT AIN'T PERSONAL IT'S INSANE!!!!!! LOL:bdance: MAY BE WASHINGTON SHOULD GET INVOLVED?:rofl:

Festus2
12-15-2011, 07:19 AM
After 4 pages, perhaps it is now time to close this thread. Will leave it open for a another couple of days for any last-minute posters to contribute their thoughts and opinions - except for any "political" posts from Washington - thank you.

SAABDOCTOR
12-16-2011, 05:48 AM
RATS IT'S BEEN FUN!:bdance:

SAABDOCTOR
12-16-2011, 05:49 AM
OH HAVE A MERRY CHANUKHA AND A HAPPY CHRISTMAS. AND A GREAT NEW YEAR TO ALL. AMEN:thumbsup:

f6bits
12-16-2011, 08:00 AM
You guys are great. I’m buying all of you wind chimes for the holidays.

hankpage
12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
You guys are great. I’m buying all of you wind chimes for the holidays.

I never believed in re-gifting, BUT! :surprise:

SAABDOCTOR
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
oh that is soooo NICE THANK YOU CAN'T WAIT TILL SPRING!!!!!:thewave:

Festus2
12-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Time to put this "Chimes" thread to bed; and, for those who would have liked to chime in, you'll have to wait 'til next Spring.
Thanks to all who contributed to what at first appeared to be a fairly simple and non-controversial thread. Cheers.
"Say Goodnight, Dick."
:wave: