PDA

View Full Version : Noisy heater

ron oneal
03-17-2021, 10:19 AM
We have a 324cg and when the heater comes on it is very noisy inside, the unit is located under the fridg in the living area, any thaughts as to how to quite the unit.

flybouy
03-17-2021, 10:36 AM
We have a 324cg and when the heater comes on it is very noisy inside, the unit is located under the fridg in the living area, any thaughts as to how to quite the unit.

Is this your first camper? "Very noisy" is very subjective. What you may hear as very noisy to someone else may be quite or normal. RV furnaces are noisier than one in your house, that's the nature of the beast. If you are inexperienced you need to find out if what you are hearing is "abnormal or not. I'd suggest asking your neighbor at a campground to have a listen if this is your first experience.

ron oneal
03-17-2021, 10:52 AM
This is not my first RV. The heater fan is so loud that you have to raise your voice to talk. and if the radio or tv are on you have to turn them up.. I was just wondering if anyone with a similar unit has found a way to deaden the sound..

chuckster57
03-17-2021, 11:05 AM
Loud and noisy are different in my way of thinking.

Loud may be just brand of furnace, size and placement

Noisy may indicate an issue most likely with the motor.

jasin1
03-17-2021, 01:59 PM

My unit is what I would call loud....the only way to quiet it is to turn it off unfortunately.

ron oneal
03-17-2021, 02:19 PM
I was hoping there might be a way to insulate the compartment.
Thanks.
Ron

jasin1
03-17-2021, 03:06 PM
I was hoping there might be a way to insulate the compartment.
Thanks.
Ron

The sound would still radiate thru the ductwork.. a trailer is pretty small space when you get right down to it... I don’t think you could do much at all without compromising the safety and design of the furnace ..it’s gonna be one of those things that you will probably notice less and less the more you own the trailer... I have a friend that lives right next to an airport and he hardly notices it .. I go over and I’m like wtf how can you stand that? ((that’s what I’m thinking but I don’t say it to him)

Bill-2020
03-17-2021, 03:36 PM
A lot of members here prefer space heaters over the furnace. I prefer the furnace myself. It’s quieter than the A/C on the roof, that’s for dang sure!!

dutchmensport
03-17-2021, 03:49 PM
Yours is normal. They are all noisy and loud. The outside of ours sounds like a jet plane taking off. I've noticed almost all new Thor Industries RV's are being built with similar furnaces. In January we were at a campground for a month, lots of long-timers there. In the morning, I'd get up and walk the dogs. The place sounded like the Indianapolis 500, when the announcer says, "Gentlemen! Start your engines!" And all this time, I thought it was just mine.

ron oneal
03-17-2021, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the responses sometimes if something is mentioned, someone else might have an idea that has worked for them.

sourdough
03-17-2021, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the responses sometimes if something is mentioned, someone else might have an idea that has worked for them.

RV furnaces are loud....all of them. I too walk around the RV parks in the early AM and late evening in the winter. Sounds like small jet engines constantly kicking in and off all around the park. That' the way it is.

RVs have lots of little, intricate, sensitive sub systems that sort of "run on the edge" basically having the minimum requirements to operate simply due to the limitations of an RV. In the case of an RV furnace it has to have a fresh air intake, generally right next to the furnace unit.....which is pretty much open, louvres or slats to hide the unit. The unit is placed to maximize the ability to access the fresh air intake and then be able to exhaust through the exterior wall.

All of that "maximization" of space to enable the furnace to operate optimally doesn't leave a lot of room, or design, for lots of additional sound deadening. In fact, placing the wrong material in the wrong places could make the furnace malfunction, or worse, dangerous.

Simply by being in an RV we all know that we have to make many concessions vs living in a regular house; cramped space, small appliances, inadequate air conditioning....the list is long. Among those things are noisy ACs and noisy furnaces. I've always had noisy ACs and furnaces....just part of the equation. Trying to make something "quiet" that wasn't designed to be probably won't end well.

Javi
03-18-2021, 02:55 AM
RV furnaces are loud....all of them. I too walk around the RV parks in the early AM and late evening in the winter. Sounds like small jet engines constantly kicking in and off all around the park. That' the way it is.

RVs have lots of little, intricate, sensitive sub systems that sort of "run on the edge" basically having the minimum requirements to operate simply due to the limitations of an RV. In the case of an RV furnace it has to have a fresh air intake, generally right next to the furnace unit.....which is pretty much open, louvres or slats to hide the unit. The unit is placed to maximize the ability to access the fresh air intake and then be able to exhaust through the exterior wall.

All of that "maximization" of space to enable the furnace to operate optimally doesn't leave a lot of room, or design, for lots of additional sound deadening. In fact, placing the wrong material in the wrong places could make the furnace malfunction, or worse, dangerous.

Simply by being in an RV we all know that we have to make many concessions vs living in a regular house; cramped space, small appliances, inadequate air conditioning....the list is long. Among those things are noisy ACs and noisy furnaces. I've always had noisy ACs and furnaces....just part of the equation. Trying to make something "quiet" that wasn't designed to be probably won't end well.

I will say that the new fully ducted quiet A/C in our Avalanche is much quieter than earlier models.

The heater, not so much :D

sourdough
03-18-2021, 06:45 AM
I will say that the new fully ducted quiet A/C in our Avalanche is much quieter than earlier models.

The heater, not so much :D

Absolutely! The WhisperQuiet (or whatever it's called) is much better than the old ones and we love it. In this one we barely even hear the furnace per se inside other than it blowing out the vents. Same can't be said about outside. :)
In our previous trailers, with the furnace right there with you, the noise was as bad as the AC.

jsb5717
03-18-2021, 09:27 AM
Yep, they are all loud and noisy. That's normal and just the reality of RVing. The only real difference seems to be where they are placed in a particular rig. I was amazed at how much quieter the furnace is in our HC. But then I stood outside and realized that it wasn't quiet at all. It's just in a better spot in this unit. I think if you have access to it you might be able to put some insulation around it to shield it from the main living space...might help some.

firestation12
03-18-2021, 11:27 AM
If you are on shore power, switch to ceramic heaters. 2 1500 watt heaters work quite well. Also the compactness of the furnace limits the size of the blower wheel which then has to spin at high RPMs to move the required airflow through the heat exchanger, less it overheats.

jasin1
03-18-2021, 11:29 AM
If you are on shore power, switch to ceramic heaters. 2 1500 watt heaters work quite well. Also the compactness of the furnace limits the size of the blower wheel which then has to spin at high RPMs to move the required airflow through the heat exchanger, less it overheats.

That’s what a lot of people do. But remember if it’s below freezing you need to run the furnace to protect tanks and water lines

bbells
04-01-2021, 09:04 AM
I use an electric baseboard heater in mine so I don't have the noise.

KeystoneKal
04-01-2021, 10:01 AM
Wishful thinking, but the RV manufacturers could divert a few bucks from the record sales to R&D a new quiet and efficient RV furnace.
As a reference the noise level on the furnace of my 2015 Keystone sounded just as loud as on my 1986 True North. Same brand I think.

lcarver02
05-23-2021, 08:07 AM
Get some ear plugs or shut it off.

Bill-2020
05-23-2021, 12:33 PM
I’ll take the furnace hum over the A/C noise, any day.

Ken / Claudia
05-23-2021, 06:02 PM
What about the noisy water pumps that seem to get placed near your bed. Or all the outside sounds that come through like theres no walls.
It takes me a more than 1 night to get used to all that noise compared to
living in a home with 2x6 walls, really great double pane windows and the furnace, water heater in the garage and A/C unit outside.