PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a rubber roof

CRUSINTHERVLIFE
03-11-2021, 08:39 AM
We have a 2018 Keystone 2520RL Ulta Lite. Was wondering what is the best product for cleaning and conditioning our roof ? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who reply.

chuckster57
03-11-2021, 09:41 AM
Dicor makes a quality wash and UV treatment.

dutchmensport
03-11-2021, 10:38 AM
I have always used RV roof cleaner and RV roof conditioner purchased from my local dealership. I know other people use house hold cleaners, but I did not want to take any chances at prematurely putting a chemical on the roof and have it deteriorate before it's given time. For me, I am happy I made this choice. I was able to trade all my previous campers with good roofs and absolutely no leaks or seams cracked.

On my current fifth wheel, it has an "Alpha" system. I've owned the camper for over 2 1/2 years and it's never been washed. I did read extensively on this roof and everything from the manufacturer and every other source, all say any cleaning solution is OK, and Spic n Span is the most suggested.

Well, this Spring will be the first time I'm going to wash it. It still looks clean, but does have black streaks where the wooden seams come together. I'll take photos of the roof with a tape measure stretched from end to end so I'll have a permanent record in photos where the joints and seams come together under that rubber. Then, probably do as suggested and use Spic n Span.

If you have doubts, then get the RV roof cleaner and conditioner from your local dealership. Sometimes you can find it at Wall Mart too.

bobbecky
03-11-2021, 07:50 PM
If your ultra lite trailer does not have an attached ladder, don’t walk on the roof. These synthetic rubber roofs don’t really need to be ‘conditioned or even scrubbed with detergent’. There are products out there to do this, but not worth it risking injury trying to do it on a non walkable roof.

Dobbs
03-12-2021, 06:53 PM
I have a 2019 2521RL GT which is the same as the OP and the roof is non-walkable. Some of the cleaners out there say for a TPO roof but not a rubber roof. A YouTube video I watched said the Passport has a TPO roof. Is TPO a rubber roof? What is the correct definition of the roofing material on my Passport? My wife wants (me) to clean our trailer top to bottom in the next couple weeks. Please help. If Spic and Span is the best choice then that's what I'll try...

chuckster57
03-12-2021, 07:30 PM
I have a 2019 2521RL GT which is the same as the OP and the roof is non-walkable. Some of the cleaners out there say for a TPO roof but not a rubber roof. A YouTube video I watched said the Passport has a TPO roof. Is TPO a rubber roof? What is the correct definition of the roofing material on my Passport? My wife wants (me) to clean our trailer top to bottom in the next couple weeks. Please help. If Spic and Span is the best choice then that's what I'll try...

https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-ready-to-use-rubber-roof-cleaner-gallon-32181.html#:~:text=Dicor%20Rubber%20Roof%20Cleaner %20is%20formulated%20specifically%20for,surface.%2 0Its%20water-softening%20agents%20combat%20hard%20water%20spott ing.

I am not affiliated with CW.

Mmeyer
03-13-2021, 05:20 AM
I’ve been roofing for 23 years. When we finish the job that Needs washed we use Spic n Span and dawn dish soap. Hope this helps

JRTJH
03-13-2021, 09:10 AM
I use a 2.5 gallon "plastic wash pail, fill it with about 2 gallons of hot water, add 1/4 cup of Dawn "blue" dish soap, 1/2 cup of Clorox bleach and use a soft bristle 12" wide broom (dunk the broom in the pale and "slop" it onto the roof, then "GENTLY" scrub the roof. Plan to wash the trailer sides and rewax because the Dawn/bleach will strip any wax that you have on the FILON siding. I've never had an issue with decals being affected with this strength solution.

chuckster57
03-13-2021, 09:13 AM
I use a 2.5 gallon "plastic wash pail, fill it with about 2 gallons of hot water, add 1/4 cup of Dawn "blue" dish soap, 1/2 cup of Clorox bleach and use a soft bristle 12" wide broom (dunk the broom in the pale and "slop" it onto the roof, then "GENTLY" scrub the roof. Plan to wash the trailer sides and rewax because the Dawn/bleach will strip any wax that you have on the FILON siding. I've never had an issue with decals being affected with this strength solution.
That is the way I do it at home, Shop has a different view on using anything else.

JRTJH
03-13-2021, 09:40 AM
That is the way I do it at home, Shop has a different view on using anything else.

Doing it "the easy way" at home and doing it "the way the state inspectors won't write you up for" at work will almost always call for using "commercially approved chemicals" (even if they don't work as well) LOL