PDA

View Full Version : Caulk is peeling off

jb44588
03-01-2021, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

I have a 2020 Passport 3100QB and the caulk on the exterior is peeling off, it even pealed off from around the bathroom sink. :( I have a couple questions:
- What caulk should I use? One recommendation I have is, NPC Solar Seal #900
- What is the best way to clean the surface before applying the caulk?

Thank You.

sourdough
03-01-2021, 11:59 AM
You mention exterior "caulk" and then that it's also peeling around the sink?

Where is it peeling on the exterior? Roof? Around the various items on the side or ??? There are different kinds of caulk (sealant) for different things.

chuckster57
03-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Where is the caulking peeling on the exterior? From what I see the sealant you mentioned is also an adhesive. I would be very hesitant to apply it on any exterior surface.

As for the bathroom sink, I would clean with denatured alcohol and then reseal with an RV silicone sealant.

jb44588
03-01-2021, 12:23 PM
It's peeling from all seems and corners. They used a clear I'm assuming silicone caulk and based on the texture, the same caulk was used around the sink.
Hope this helps.

Ken / Claudia
03-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Show photos, doubt its really peeling. How about cracking.
Around sink is 1 type of product, outside is another. Those areas use/need different sealants.
How about showing the dealer, maybe warranty if it is really peeling.

jb44588
03-01-2021, 01:15 PM
No it's peeling right off. In some arears you can take your finger and it will come right off. Dealer already replaced some of it. The rest is peeling now and it's out of warranty.

sourdough
03-01-2021, 03:29 PM
To me peeling is different than cracking. Then some of the silicone based sealants can look what I call "feathery" on the edges when it starts to sort of detach on the edges. Generally if you look at the body of the seam it's OK.

I'm still unclear on peeling on "all seams and corners". Where exactly? Seams on the roof (dicor), seams down the outside of the trailer or...is everything we're talking about inside. We need to clarify WHAT it is that has the caulking on it. Could be ProFlex, a silicone based caulk etc. etc. etc.

jb44588
03-01-2021, 05:09 PM
I'll get some pictures. What I mean by peeling, you can pull the caulk off the surface and peel it off like a piece of tape and some of it's not even sticking. It's mainly on the outside, on the 4 corners, top to bottom, the slide out frame is sealed and peeling, etc. The roof has no issues.

jb44588
03-05-2021, 05:58 AM
Finally got the pictures. As you can see the caulk just peeled away from the sink.
The one picture is on the slide out. You can see how it will peel away and some has already peeled off. What I want to do is remove it all, clean, prep, and put new caulk in. My question is, what is the best way to clean and prep and what caulk do I use?
Thank you

chuckster57
03-05-2021, 06:15 AM
We use this:

https://bossproducts.com/products/boss-378-rv-mobile-home-silicone-sealant/139/

I have had excellent results. I used to use denatured alcohol but it’s banned here. I have been using something called solvent X.