PDA

View Full Version : Heater Not working

HawkeyeRN
02-26-2021, 04:36 AM
2021 Keystone Outback 2021, heater will turn on blow some cold air and then turn back off. It's electric furnace and everything else electric is working. Any ideas or help?

Brentw
02-26-2021, 05:19 AM
I don't know that model, are you sure it's an electric furnace. Sounds like a propane furnace that is failing to lite off.

chuckster57
02-26-2021, 05:45 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Iím pretty sure your furnace is propane fired. The fan is electric (12VDC).

Letís start with the simple stuff:

Propane- cylinders full or at least not empty? Are they open? Did you just fill them? If you just filled them then light the stove for a minute and try again, you can also turn on the LP side of the water heater to help purge air.

When the furnace fan kick on, go outside to where the furnace exhaust is and listen for any clicking (sparker) or any gas smell. Th ere are a few things that can cause your issue, we just need to eliminate them.

Daisylady
03-10-2021, 03:48 AM
This is exactly what is happening to ours. It will turn on and then blow cold for about 3 minutes and turn off. I thought we were out of propane but that’s not the case. The hot water heater works. The gas range works- I’ve never lit the oven. Is it the furnace itself? Ours it set up permanently and I can’t take it in for service.

Big 417
03-10-2021, 12:26 PM
It's failing to light. Various causes. Make sure there's no critters blocking the exhaust. Could be a faulty sail switch, and or the main board. Some will last a week, some will last 10 years. Boards aren't super expensive, and easy to replace. We generally carry a spare, one day we'll need it, or perhaps we'll help a fellow camper. As they are a pretty common fit part

Daisylady
03-10-2021, 12:42 PM
Great, thank you!

jvbutter01
04-01-2021, 03:45 PM
It's failing to light. Various causes. Make sure there's no critters blocking the exhaust. Could be a faulty sail switch, and or the main board. Some will last a week, some will last 10 years. Boards aren't super expensive, and easy to replace. We generally carry a spare, one day we'll need it, or perhaps we'll help a fellow camper. As they are a pretty common fit part
is there a test for the main board? or just swap it out?

chuckster57
04-01-2021, 04:52 PM
is there a test for the main board? or just swap it out?

There is a test, but the equipment needed isnít cheap. We usually test for continuity at the limit switch and the sail switch. If those show good then we test for voltage at the gas valve, and finally the igniter.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Electronics-IMT12PKIT-Board-Tester/dp/B004A2YL7C/ref=asc_df_B004A2YL7C/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138461396&psc=1

jvbutter01
04-04-2021, 05:44 PM
There is a test, but the equipment needed isnít cheap. We usually test for continuity at the limit switch and the sail switch. If those show good then we test for voltage at the gas valve, and finally the igniter.

Hmmm $180 for the tester... wonder how many boards i can buy for that price. thanks for the info.

rhagfo
04-04-2021, 06:53 PM
On the outs side you could have a bad propane regulator.
We had this issue the sparked would activate, might hear the gas ignite for a moment, then shut off. The gas draw was too much.

silverZ
06-09-2021, 08:30 PM
Do you have a black fuse in that circuit? I had the same problem in my 27RLS and read on another thread on this forum that the circuit breaker fuse can be the problem. I replaced it with a standard 15 amp fuse and it lights now.

jsb5717
06-09-2021, 10:18 PM
If the furnace is igniting or attempting to ignite then it's a post-ignition issue - propane regulator, propane controller in the furnace, igniter distance from burner, bad temp sensor, main board. If not igniting or attempting to ignite then a pre-ignition issue - sail switch, bad igniter, main board

A lot of potential issues depending on the symptoms. Set the thermostat to

Set the thermostat to Furnace, turn up the temp, and listen carefully to all that takes place. Report back here for more help.

Ours was a faulty propane regulator. The furnace demands a higher PSI than the other propane appliances so while the other items will continue to work normally, the furnace may fail if the regulator isn't performing at full PSI.

Bapower427
10-12-2021, 04:43 PM
My Dometic furnace in my trailer was short cycling amd blowing cold air for 30 seconds. I removed and cleaned the sail switch. Now it turns on and lights but it shuts down after about a minute or two. I have heat but it doesn’t turn on with the thermostat set amd won’t stay running. Any suggestions on what it could be without chasing the mouse on this unit

jvbutter01
10-12-2021, 04:57 PM
Sorry bapower ... I had just air in my line. it would finally start up after enough cycling.

Bapower427
10-12-2021, 05:37 PM
Ok so you think that if I keep cycling it the furnace will stay lit? And respond to thermostat. There is a buzzing sound when it shuts off? Maybe the blower fan doing a cool down sequence?

jvbutter01
10-12-2021, 06:45 PM
my issue was lack of fuel in the line. it will only try to lite for short peroid of time, then shut off for saffety, i can restart it enough times to get it to push the air through the line, that does not sound like your issue.

chuckster57
10-13-2021, 05:46 AM
My Dometic furnace in my trailer was short cycling amd blowing cold air for 30 seconds. I removed and cleaned the sail switch. Now it turns on and lights but it shuts down after about a minute or two. I have heat but it doesnít turn on with the thermostat set amd wonít stay running. Any suggestions on what it could be without chasing the mouse on this unit

Your furnace issues could be a couple of things, if it wonít turn on with the thermostat then you may have a couple different issues. If your trailer is still in warranty, it needs to go to the dealer for troubleshooting.

sourdough
10-13-2021, 09:04 AM
My Dometic furnace in my trailer was short cycling amd blowing cold air for 30 seconds. I removed and cleaned the sail switch. Now it turns on and lights but it shuts down after about a minute or two. I have heat but it doesnít turn on with the thermostat set amd wonít stay running. Any suggestions on what it could be without chasing the mouse on this unit

If you go to the User CP in the upper left corner of the page and fill in your signature with the year, make and model of your trailer and tow vehicle it makes it immensely easier to offer answers and suggestions.

If your furnace starts, blows and heats then shuts down I would look at the control board OR it could be running long enough to get the exhaust hot enough to trip the high temp switch because of some kind of exhaust blockage. Did that once by putting a "bug screen" over the exhaust.

{tpc}
10-13-2021, 09:24 AM
One of my "initial" un-winterizing techniques it to find the furthest spot away from the propane tanks and get propane to it first. For instance, the quick connect for the gas grill is located at the back of a lot of trailers (though not all). In this case, I have found that by opening that valve and getting the gas grill to light would help to push "air" out if the system for other things that could also be "T'd" off of said line.

I'm sure it doesn't work in every case, but in my case it has. Saved me a lot of fret and worrying about bad boards and regulators. Maybe something to consider.

flybouy
10-13-2021, 10:19 AM
One of my "initial" un-winterizing techniques it to find the furthest spot away from the propane tanks and get propane to it first. For instance, the quick connect for the gas grill is located at the back of a lot of trailers (though not all). In this case, I have found that by opening that valve and getting the gas grill to light would help to push "air" out if the system for other things that could also be "T'd" off of said line.

I'm sure it doesn't work in every case, but in my case it has. Saved me a lot of fret and worrying about bad boards and regulators. Maybe something to consider.

I do this as well. After installing LP tanks for the initial use I'll light the bumper mounted grill first. Then I'll light all the burners on the stove. Haven't had an issue with the furnace, water heater, or fridge lighting off and working. I will occasionally "exercise" the furnace even in the summer. I'll pick a cool morning and run the furnace for just 2 or 3 min. so it will get hot enough to satisfy the t'stat and then shut down. I haven't had an issue yet but I'd rather know about it in July and deal with the inconvenience vs the end of October when it would be become a crisis for the DW.

thatoneguy
10-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Had a burned wire on mine, luckily it didn't take the board with it but I had to completly remove the furnace on my 32rli and bring it in as I suspected sail switch.. just 1 bad wire.

ajchadon84
11-28-2021, 10:09 PM
This is exactly what is happening to ours. It will turn on and then blow cold for about 3 minutes and turn off. I thought we were out of propane but that’s not the case. The hot water heater works. The gas range works- I’ve never lit the oven. Is it the furnace itself? Ours it set up permanently and I can’t take it in for service.
Iím having the same issue and ours is permanent as well. Itís so frustrating!

ajchadon84
11-28-2021, 10:11 PM
Are you talking about the fuse board itself?? Sorry Iím incredibly new to the world of rv life.

jsb5717
11-28-2021, 10:54 PM
I’m having the same issue and ours is permanent as well. It’s so frustrating!

If the fan turns on but the furnace makes no attempt to ignite (you can't hear any clicking sound of the igniter sparking) then the issue is pre-ignition. Most common issue is the sail switch. They can go bad but usually they are just dirty. The fan can blow lint into them preventing them from making contact. If you have good access they are easy to check and clean.

If the sail switch is OK then it's possible it's the main control board. A little spendier but fairly easy to swap out.

How old is your trailer? It's also possible that just jiggling the various wire connections on the main board can solve it as well. Those contacts can sometimes need a little help from time to time. I've had this solve the issue on 3 different furnaces.

TurtleB52
11-30-2021, 05:51 PM
We had this problem last week when we arrived at our site at 9:30pm and 28į. After 3hrs of troubleshooting we finally got it going by totally shutting off and unplugging all power including solar. Waited for a minute then put all back together and shazam... back in business.

kguess
12-01-2021, 08:04 PM
I had a similar problem recently. Find the reset switch and turn it off, this shuts off the gas. Wait several minutes and turn it back on, move the thermostat up. Hopefully it will be working. Also if propane is low, it wonít work. Good luck.