PDA

View Full Version : leave the heater on

08ramguy
12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Does any one leave the heater on there trailer while driveing.....just curious because I have a friend that says he does this while we go to are riding area so its warm when we get there......doesnt sound like a good idea to me....any thoughts?

tap3230
12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
That seems like a giant waste of propane. It really dosen't take mine that long to heat up once I get to the destination.

SteveC7010
12-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I can't go look as the trailer is in storage, but I am pretty certain that the living room slider covers several of the ducts in the floor when closed up. Maybe the bedroom one, too.

That means the heater can't circulate air normally so some kind of problem is pretty much guaranteed to happen sooner or later. So I would not run the heater while traveling.

If it was that cold, I think I'd stop every couple of hours, put any blocking slides out, and fire up the furnace for a half hour or so.

I have traveled with the fridge running on propane with no problems, especially in really hot weather. But I do shut it off before pulling up to the pumps to refuel.

f6bits
12-02-2011, 06:58 AM
I also think it’s not a great idea. An easy idea is to send one sucker into the trailer to turn on the heat while the others sit in the warm car until the trailer is also warm.

My ducts are unobstructed when the slider is in, so heat can go on as soon as I park.

flybouy
12-02-2011, 08:11 AM
I agree with the other 2 responses and would add that if it's cold then I will turn on the heat when I arive so that it's warm when I'm finished setting up. If it's too cold for the DW she can sit in the truck until the camper warms up. Mine ill heat up in a tter of a few min.

mhs4771
12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
All depends on many factors: We ran ours on a low setting last Feb when we left Western New York for Florida. We had de-winterized the rig and needed to keep some heat in the belly to keep water lines and fresh water tank from freezing. Just to have the rig warn, don't think I would as it does take long to bring the temp up. So it depends on the reasons.

JRTJH
12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I agree. Not having any heat in the rig for 10-12 hours in this "neck of the woods" would play havoc on the plumbing in the "basement" unless the trailer were winterized.

However, for short trips, we travel without heat. My wife usually climbs in the trailer and turns on the thermostat while I register at the campground office, by the time she finishes walking the dog, we pull into the site and get unhitched, the trailer is warm enough for her to start setting up the inside while I level and connect the utilities. By the time I'm finished and inside, she's got something warm ready and the trailer is almost always warm enough to take off coats and gloves and get the weekend started :)

chuck&gail
12-02-2011, 05:02 PM
If it is below freezing outside, we leave our furnace running to keep waste tanks and valves from freezing. If above freezing outside, I turn furnace on when checking in at CG. By the time we are set up in our spot, TT is nice and toasty.

08ramguy
12-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Well I dont have any thing that will block heater vents in my toyhauler, I have no slides, and one vent the is by under the stove and then two that are in the front bed area.....wierd setup?....toyhauler takes a good amount off time to heat up cause of this.....next toyhauler I have will have a seperate garage area, with a better heating system in it....