PDA

View Full Version : Take generator on every trip

Frisbeekev
02-09-2021, 05:02 AM
I was just curious who takes their generator with them on every trip as a back up even if you are going to a place that says they have power? The other advantage i can see is that you could use it to boondock on an overbight site. Disadvantages obviously are that its more weight and you have to carry extra fuel.

JDDilly
02-09-2021, 05:57 AM
We only carry it if we are going to be on the road overnight. That way we have power when we stop for lunch or a break from driving and want TV, the microwave, air conditioning or other 110 powered items.

Laredo Tugger
02-09-2021, 06:55 AM
I will take my generator on trips where I will be on the road for more than one night. I have the Champion 3400- Inverter. I modified the generator to run on a separate fuel tank (12 gallon boat tank) which I carry empty in my TV. Filled up it will run the generator for about 3 days and weighs about 100 lbs. with the tote container, locks and chain and other accessories. I figure if I have a breakdown I will either be towed to or pass a gas station. The generator and tank also fit under my closed tonneau cover when not towing. I have never had to or wanted to "camp" at Wal Mart, Cracker Barrell ect.. and use the generator for power.
So I guess my answer is, no not on every trip. Just when I think I might need it.
RMc

JRTJH
02-09-2021, 07:32 AM
We camp regularly in State Forest (unimproved) Campgrounds. They are, for the most part, "rustic" with only a fire ring and sometimes a picnic table. Otherwise, dirt, grass, weeds or gravel that's sometimes level with no utilities except possibly a pit toilet and maybe a hand pump water well. Many don't even have trash cans (bad for wildlife like coons and bears) which stink when abused with fish guts and "wet garbage". Essentially, I use the generator to recharge the boat batteries more than the trailer batteries. Trolling motor and depth finder power is more important to our "camping style" than is trailer power.

When we camp that way, we take a generator to recharge batteries and provide power for the microwave.

If our planned trip is to "commercial campgrounds with power or to state park facilities that have electricity, we don't take the generator. We have "onboard power" that will last to power the necessary stuff for over 24 hours and I've never seen power outages for that length of time in conditions where I would stay in the campground. If it's "that bad" I'm going home or somewhere else.

For us, having a generator in the truck with no anticipated reason to use it is "wasted weight" so we just leave it at home.

Ken / Claudia
02-09-2021, 08:05 AM
So far traveling has been limited to 2-3 days of time before plugging into shore power. I leave the genny at home for that. The batteries keep up unless you have old ones or just 1.
When planning a trip dry camping the genny(s) go to supply power.

nellie1289
02-09-2021, 09:01 AM
Where i go, it goes. My new trailer now has a built in ONAN so seems like it would be less likely to need one, but my onan wont crank if the batteries are below a certain level. And when i say batteries, i mean the ONE battery in my GIANT trailer. Yes, this is a shortcoming of this unit, i may replace with more batteries. You can always plug trailer in off truck but that would take forever to charge up. So i have committed to bringing my suitcase generator with me.

sourdough
02-09-2021, 09:35 AM
I don't carry a generator with us any longer, ever. Wasted space and weight BUT I only stay at improved RV parks with full hookups. If there is anything wrong power wise anywhere we go for 24 hours I'm gone. Now when I boondocked much/most of the time my generator was with me always. You need to determine the kind of camping you intend to do and equip accordingly. I've not, and don't intend to ever, camp in a parking lot anywhere but from what I've heard the generator is not going to be appreciated in some of them.

notanlines
02-09-2021, 09:58 AM
Our RV's have always had built-in's so yes, we always take it. The little addition we bought late last summer, the Salem, does not have a generator, so we will bring the portable with us when we use it.
We have become accustomed to certain conveniences when we travel and the generator is part of that equation.

Frisbeekev
02-09-2021, 11:20 AM
We usually only use it boondocking but i did have an instance where we went to an electric site and there was no power. Batteries got us through but ww couldnt he up our premade dinner when we arrived in the evening.

Customer1
02-09-2021, 03:11 PM
I take everything on every trip. All the tools and gear have permanent storage locations and requires no loading or unloading for trips.

GHen
02-10-2021, 09:42 AM
We take a 2000 watt on every trip, and a second 2000 watt for longer trips where we know we need to boondock and will need A/C.

If we arrive early and canít get to our spot yet, we can still power up in the parking lot if needed. We have arrived to find out the pedestal is not working correctly and the canít move us until the next day. Maybe power goes out from a storm. And sometimes we find a better Boondocking spot than the rv park we reserved.

MarkEHansen
02-11-2021, 11:39 AM
Even when planning to camp where there is shore power available, something can happen to it. I would rather not have to cancel the camping trip if I don't have to. That happened on one of our trips, which is why we purchased our generator. So, yes, we always take it with us. I think my truck can handle the additional weight :)

dutchmensport
02-11-2021, 04:09 PM
I'm still working it out. Sometimes I take (them - 2 of them), and sometimes I take only 1, and sometimes I take none.

It just depends upon what type of camping we are doing.

But to give a simple answer to your question.... No. We do not carry the generator on EVERY trip.

pikespeakviewer
02-11-2021, 05:18 PM
If we are boondocking for 4 or more nights, then we will bring the generator. Plug in site, then we leave it at home.

CRUSINTHERVLIFE
02-13-2021, 04:39 AM
We only take ours when we know we are going to be boon docking. Champion 3400 not modified , gas type. But have thought about changing it over to propane.

Bandit12
02-14-2021, 08:50 AM
We have two trips booked so far this year. Both spots are boondock sites at lakes. Our Cougar has the OTG package and while subject to that recall, I've checked it thoroughly and I'm convinced mine is wired correctly. We fully intend to bring our generator with us anyway. I have the Predator 3500 and one mod to the generator I'm doing before we go is to install the big wheel kit so it's easier to move around. I installed a carry tray on the back of the trailer to haul the generator on. It is WAY easier to lift the generator to the height of the tray than it is to get it in the bed of the truck.

jasin1
02-14-2021, 08:57 AM
We have two trips booked so far this year. Both spots are boondock sites at lakes. Our Cougar has the OTG package and while subject to that recall, I've checked it thoroughly and I'm convinced mine is wired correctly. We fully intend to bring our generator with us anyway. I have the Predator 3500 and one mod to the generator I'm doing before we go is to install the big wheel kit so it's easier to move around. I installed a carry tray on the back of the trailer to haul the generator on. It is WAY easier to lift the generator to the height of the tray than it is to get it in the bed of the truck.

Iíd make sure that thing is locked up securely..I watched a YouTube video (rv odd couple) where they were in traffic stopped at a light and someone stole the generator right off the cargo tray... is it a frame welded hitch mount reciever?

Bandit12
02-14-2021, 09:30 AM
For the hitch, its the factory receiver hitch that came with the trailer. It's rated for 300 lbs. The tray weighs about 50 lbs and the generator about 100 lbs. I use 2 ratchet cargo straps crossed over the top of the generator to secure it, and I have a 5/16 inch aircraft cable looped around the hitch and thru the handles of the generator and padlocked for theft protection. In addition, we have a backup camera on the trailer and I usually have it on so I can keep and eye on the generator while going down the road in case anything happens with the hitch or tray itself. Edit to add: In addition, the cable also doubles as a security cable when parked. I loop it thru the handles of the generator and around the left rear auto leveling leg. The generator fits under the slide.

jasin1
02-14-2021, 09:47 AM
For the hitch, its the factory receiver hitch that came with the trailer. It's rated for 300 lbs. The tray weighs about 50 lbs and the generator about 100 lbs. I use 2 ratchet cargo straps crossed over the top of the generator to secure it, and I have a 5/16 inch aircraft cable looped around the hitch and thru the handles of the generator and padlocked for theft protection. In addition, we have a backup camera on the trailer and I usually have it on so I can keep and eye on the generator while going down the road in case anything happens with the hitch or tray itself.

Sounds good.. I was surprised that someone would steal something in traffic and nobody said anything. They were apparently traveling between boon docking sites and did not have it locked. They just had ratchet straps

Bandit12
02-14-2021, 09:56 AM
Color me paranoid. I spent 20 years in the military, the first 5 as a cop. I'm of the mindset that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Ccrew
02-14-2021, 12:42 PM
I take everything on every trip. All the tools and gear have permanent storage locations and requires no loading or unloading for trips.

This. My 2xHondas reside in a toolbox in the bed. Weíre not beyond changing plans mid-trip and donít care about FHU sites.

Hambone1088
02-14-2021, 01:09 PM
We were staying at an RV park last summer when the power went out for about 3 hours during the heat of the day. Prior to that, we only “sometimes” took our generator. We didn’t have our generator during the one time we could have used it to run our AC during the power outage. Luckily we were camping right on a river and were able to stay cool from the summer heat until the power came back on. Now I always have it just in case the power goes out and we want to use the comforts of the trailer that need something more then the batteries to run.

jasin1
02-14-2021, 01:22 PM
I bought a harbor freight 3500 inverter, when I had my ram 2500 it wasnít even an option to take it with me,I was way over gvwr on my truck.
Now I have a capable truck so the generator is going with me every time. I bought a 30 amp rv extension cord also.
The way I figure it I could break down on the side of the road somewhere, either the truck or trailer, and it could be many hours till I could get towed. It would be nice to be able to cook a meal or have some creature comforts while I wait.
I also have extra tools and a cordless impact gun and a bunch of other things I may never need. I have the cargo capacity now so why not be prepared.
We signed up for harvest host and some will allow you to use a generator sparingly and others as long as you want. Itís nice having options

Jim2366
02-14-2021, 01:38 PM
I am getting ready to leave in the cold and will bring the Champion 3500 generator in case the electric goes out when traveling. I can connect it to the 50amp using the 30amp to 50amp adapter.

Bugz1985
02-15-2021, 06:10 AM
First why did you buy a generator if you do not want to bring it with you?

Laredo Tugger
02-15-2021, 08:12 AM
Color me paranoid. I spent 20 years in the military, the first 5 as a cop. I'm of the mindset that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I agree. I lock everything. I offset alzheimer's by going through my key chain occasionally and remembering which key goes where. :D
I have some friends who live in the Bahama Islands. Power outages (extended) are a regular occurrence there so most everyone has a (home) generator available.
Their generator was hooked up and running some essentials in the house when the power stopped flowing, but the generator could still be heard running outside. A quick check of connections and plugs inside the house produced still no power. Going outside to check the connection at the generator they found their lawn mower running and their generator was MIA.
While I will never call a criminal intelligent, I will give these lads a nod for creating their own opportunity.
RMc

Cougar Jim
03-02-2021, 06:42 AM
Coming down from 15 years of large diesel Moho's we gave up several comfort amenities but electrical power when we want it isn't one of them. I have a quiet Honda 3000w mounted on a tray in the rear of the trailer. Our summer plans usually include one to three state or forest service parks without electric power.