PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Winterizing

forest376
11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Getting ready to winterize the 5er. Not sure if the previous owner had ever run the water pump, I haven't. If the water pump has never been used, can you still run it for 30 seconds to ensure there is no water in it for winterization purposes? Thanks in advance.

Festus2
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Not sure of the process you follow to winterize your RV - which should include your pump - but do you use the pink RV antifreeze and use the pump to put the pink stuff in all of your water pipes? If you do, then your pump will have enough pink solution in it to winterize it. If you blow out your system, your pump should be free of water.
Many pumps can be run for a short time without water and no damage will occur. You might want to check the specs on your pump just to make sure that it can operate this way.

forest376
11-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Got it, thanks

forest376
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I finished up winterizing the 5er. I can't figure out why the water in the hot water tank was warm. The gas has been turned off (for weeks) and the switch on the control panel to the hot water tank has not been turned on? To make sure there was no power to the tank, I unplug the 30 amp cord....
any thoughts?

SteveC7010
11-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I finished up winterizing the 5er. I can't figure out why the water in the hot water tank was warm. The gas has been turned off (for weeks) and the switch on the control panel to the hot water tank has not been turned on? To make sure there was no power to the tank, I unplug the 30 amp cord....
any thoughts?

Sorta depends on when you last ran the heater.

But it is possible that the electric element was still on after you shut off the gas portion of the heater.

We use the propane almost exclusively to run the water heater so I leave the breaker off at all times.

Some water heaters also have a 110vac switch somewhere on the backside of them. Pays to make sure that is off if you don't want the element to power up.