PDA

View Full Version : Ford Trailer Backup Assist

Quiroule
01-25-2021, 06:30 AM
As anyone used the Ford Trailer Backup Assist with a travel trailer?

Is-it a great?

JRTJH
01-25-2021, 08:00 AM
It will help those with two left feet while chewing bubble gum, but it doesn't stop you from backing into the roof overhang, that low hanging tree limb or the gas pump at the truck stop.....

You still need a spotter, knowledge of where you are and what's around the trailer. Otherwise, you can expect to dislike the system, possibly as early as the first experimental use.....

travelin texans
01-25-2021, 08:17 AM
Whether it works or not, anyone towing trailers of any kind needs to learn to back them up!!!
For RVs a spotter is a must or you'll constantly need to get out & check behind.
The visual aid would be very helpful, but can't/won't replace a good driver.
We watched a couple in Myrtle Beach, all sites are 90 degree back ins, the man (6'2") gets out from behind the wheel & walks to the front of the truck, the woman (5' nothing) gets behind the wheel, she backs in only watching the man's hand signals not talking to one another, no yelling & they nail it 1st shot, not pulling in/out or moving one way or the other, boom parked.

flybouy
01-25-2021, 08:40 AM
I'm all for the modern "driving aids" and that's great if they work but I agree that nothing to my knowledge yet beats the "human brain" for analyzing and decision making. Seeing the onslaught of car commercials recently really gets me riled up. It's the message sent that gets me. Let's see ... it's OK to eat french fries while passing a semi trailer 'cause the car will put you back in the lane. Its ok to take selfies with a car full of young women, it's ok to back out of a driveway and not check for traffic, it's ok to look the other way if a truck stops in front of you or it wrecks because the car will stop for you. How about we teach people how to drive and pay attention?

Sorry, I'll step down off the soapbox now.

markcee
01-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Yes, it works, to a certain extent. I used it when I had my F150. It does have a learning curve like anything else. I say it works to an extent because it will sometimes lose sight of the sticker you need to place on the trailer frame. This is because most travel trailers don't have enough open space on the A-frame for optimum sticker placement. This was the case with mine, and in doing some research, it is quite common. Either the jack, the propane tanks, the umbilical cord or all three are usually in the way, causing the camera to lose sight of the sticker, when your truck starts angling away from the trailer.

Once it loses the sticker you are pretty much screwed and will need to pull forward, reset and start again. As long as you don't need to angle the truck too much, it works as advertised.

If you already have the truck, it's worth messing with it for a couple of hours to see how it works with your particular setup.

JRTJH
01-25-2021, 10:13 AM
To "add another comment":

Recent studies have shown that automatic driving systems (the study didn't say whether it's currently available systems or "in research" future systems) make, on the average, 8 critical mistakes per mile of system operation.

IMHO, Ford's "automated trailer backing system" is nothing more than an "automatic driving system that works when in reverse"... So, 8 mistakes per mile... How many feet can you back up before the system "takes a crap next to your trailer" ????? And, is the mistakes per mile accumulative or does it start over with every backing operation ????

Another IMHO, if you're going to pull an RV, it's in your best interest to become proficient in ALL trailer towing operations. That includes pulling it in "D" and in "R"... Sooner or later, you're going to need to know how, might as well learn from the "get-go". Trying to "make do" late at night, in a thunderstorm, with poor lighting, a P-O'ed DW, madder than a wet hen, standing in ankle deep mud while you're in the truck, warm and dry, fiddling with the steering wheel trying to decide if it's "turn CW to go left or is it CCW to go left".... Well, you get the idea.... Dumbing down the public is NOT the way to replace gauges and experience with idiot lights for those who can't read a gauge.

How many of us would want a "junior surgeon" operating a robotic AI surgical system on our kid while the "old fart who mastered the technique is on break or seeing patients in post-op while "junior" is trying to find the OFF/ON switch for the stereo ?????

It's incumbent on every RV tower to know how to tow an RV, not rely on "automated systems" to figure it out for us.....

OK, I'll step off the soap box.....

wiredgeorge
01-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Wow! A great response from folks who have never tried to use this newest gizmo; only one response from a person who had used it and he mentioned "stickers and placement" and that might be an issue. I am sure every driver on this forum can back up and drive as well as our team of expert backer-uppers! :popcorn:
I would love to try this system (there is an aftermarket version that I believe will work with 5th wheels. I have been backing up for MANY years and have practiced and my backing up is still somewhat lacking. The aftermarket system is likely out of my price range.

markcee
01-25-2021, 12:33 PM
Wow! A great response from folks who have never tried to use this newest gizmo; only one response from a person who had used it and he mentioned "stickers and placement" and that might be an issue. I am sure every driver on this forum can back up and drive as well as our team of expert backer-uppers! :popcorn:
I would love to try this system (there is an aftermarket version that I believe will work with 5th wheels. I have been backing up for MANY years and have practiced and my backing up is still somewhat lacking. The aftermarket system is likely out of my price range.

Yeah, my backing up skills suck too. I have the ‘Ultimate Tow Camera’ on my 2019 SD and do like the extra camera views and cues it offers, you do have to do the work yourself though, so it’s improving my skills.

I see you have an ‘06 SD....the 2021’s do offer the Pro Trailer Back Up Assist - maybe it’s a good time for a trade in!

JRTJH
01-25-2021, 01:28 PM

Would you get in an airplane if the pilot admitted, "I don't know how to fly this thing, but I'm great at reading the instruments and an expert in setting the autopilot".... :nonono:

jasin1
01-25-2021, 01:40 PM
I just saw that ram is offering something similar in there 2021 trucks

jasin1
01-25-2021, 01:51 PM
In boating when you get a uscg master license you have to prove your ability in Navigation and chart plotting on the test. You don’t get the benefit of using a gps. After you pass then of course almost everyone except diehard minimalist sailers will use modern chartplotters
I would like to have the skills for backing up in my head ,not dependent on electronics to do everything..what if you had to switch vehicles? Then what?

jasin1
01-25-2021, 02:01 PM
Look what gps in cars has done as far as dumbing down the population. Most people couldn’t get anywhere without gps nowadays. When I started running service calls years ago we only had map books to go by. I could get anywhere I needed with them. All your senses were active when driving..... now people just zone out and listen for prompts. They have no idea that some roads run parallel to others and you can get someplace a couple different ways.

JRTJH
01-25-2021, 02:58 PM
I probably shouldn't look at it this way, but:

There was a time people had to operate the steering wheel with their right hand, signal a left turn with their left hand, push the clutch pedal with their left foot, use the accelerator with their right foot and shift into second with their right hand (while still maintaining control of the steering wheel and not causing the car to "buck" by coordinating the clutch and accelerator pedal in unison)... Every 14 year old that had been driving the family tractor between the butterbeans found it easy to do, as did nearly every girl and boy, without the benefit of driver's ed, something that had not yet even been conceived....

Then around 1956 or 57, GM introduced the "hot light" and the "generator light" to replace the temperature and ammeter gauges...

Now, digital dashes still have a fuel gauge, but nearly all of them also have a "miles to empty" indicator... I wonder when the fuel gauge will become "trivial information that's no longer needed" and we go to just a "MET number" next to the digital speed... You know, sort of an "all encompassing display" like 256 55 270

256 miles to empty, 55MPH, 2700RPM

and, as long as no other lights/messages are illuminated, you can go back to reading your phone messages on the center screen and occasionally checking the automatic driver settings.....

I've got two grandkids (24 and 22) that I taught to drive a standard transmission. Both of them are married to great people with a huge, loving heart, but neither of them can even start one without running into the garage door as soon as they turn the key to start.....

wiredgeorge
01-25-2021, 03:00 PM
Yeah, my backing up skills suck too. I have the ‘Ultimate Tow Camera’ on my 2019 SD and do like the extra camera views and cues it offers, you do have to do the work yourself though, so it’s improving my skills.

I see you have an ‘06 SD....the 2021’s do offer the Pro Trailer Back Up Assist - maybe it’s a good time for a trade in!

I have been looking for gold on my property but have had no luck so I am thinking I had best keep the old 06 going as the only thing I use it for (for the most part) is dragging my 5th wheel. I couldn't possibly afford to make payments on a new truck or camper so just dream. We eventually are able to buy all the necessities and a few of the wish list but big ticket ain't in the program. Besides, I don't know where to pour DEF in a Superduty so that challenge would have to be overcome! bwhahahaha I am just trying to keep up with the pet supplies and electric bill...

B-O-B'03
01-25-2021, 05:21 PM
I'm all for the modern "driving aids" and that's great if they work but I agree that nothing to my knowledge yet beats the "human brain" for analyzing and decision making. Seeing the onslaught of car commercials recently really gets me riled up. It's the message sent that gets me. Let's see ... it's OK to eat french fries while passing a semi trailer 'cause the car will put you back in the lane. Its ok to take selfies with a car full of young women, it's ok to back out of a driveway and not check for traffic, it's ok to look the other way if a truck stops in front of you or it wrecks because the car will stop for you. How about we teach people how to drive and pay attention?

Sorry, I'll step down off the soapbox now.

Amen!

Driving is no longer a full time job anymore.

-Brian

flybouy
01-25-2021, 05:35 PM
In boating when you get a uscg master license you have to prove your ability in Navigation and chart plotting on the test. You don’t get the benefit of using a gps. After you pass then of course almost everyone except diehard minimalist sailers will use modern chartplotters
I would like to have the skills for backing up in my head ,not dependent on electronics to do everything..what if you had to switch vehicles? Then what?

When I first started boating it was pre GPS times but Loran was available. Same was true when I earned my private pilot license. My flight instructor would not let me use it. I can still hear his voice saying "fly the plane like you have no electricity, that way you'll be prepared for when it happens".

I like technology, I'm a bit of a geek I suppose. I had my house "connected" long before there was wifi or the internet (back in they days of networking using Banyan Vines and programing in Fortran and Cobol). Growing up when the "oil light" replaced an oil pressure gauges my father called them idiot lights. They would come on to tell you something happened apposed to a gauges that can indicate something IS happening. So I'm not discounting automation by any means and using it as a another tool is how I approach it and not as a replacement that I'll become dependent upon.

jasin1
01-25-2021, 06:12 PM
When I first started boating it was pre GPS times but Loran was available. Same was true when I earned my private pilot license. My flight instructor would not let me use it. I can still hear his voice saying "fly the plane like you have no electricity, that way you'll be prepared for when it happens".

I like technology, I'm a bit of a geek I suppose. I had my house "connected" long before there was wifi or the internet (back in they days of networking using Banyan Vines and programing in Fortran and Cobol). Growing up when the "oil light" replaced an oil pressure gauges my father called them idiot lights. They would come on to tell you something happened apposed to a gauges that can indicate something IS happening. So I'm not discounting automation by any means and using it as a another tool is how I approach it and not as a replacement that I'll become dependent upon.

Maybe I was being to harsh.. I do appreciate technology but I think it should be balanced with fundamental knowledge of what your trying to accomplish. I guess I’m guilty of relying a little heavy on gizmos myself ..oh well ..progress tempered with common sense is all I can strive for

linux3
01-26-2021, 11:49 AM
I use to suck at backing a trailer.
There are lots of videos on how to do it.
My favorite and the one that really helped me was to back up and turn the wheel in the direction of the side that is BAD.
Hold the wheel at the bottom, turn the other way, yada, yada..... Not good.
When backing turn the wheel to the side that is bad. If you need the trailer to go right, the left side is bad so turn that way.

Now, find a big empty parking lot. Get walkie-talkies for you and your co-driver.
Practice, practice, practice.
I'm actually pretty good at back-in sites now.

What if the Back-up assist fails? What if you have a new TV?
I think all this Assist stuff is just sales do-do.
Go find an empty lot and learn how to manage your rig.

Spend some time, develop skills.

Steveo57
01-26-2021, 12:28 PM
I never set it up on my old truck. But when I got a new truck last summer I went ahead and set it up. I have tried it a few times and quickly abandoned trying to use it. The last time I tried to use it it couldn't find the sticker.

Maybe I'll play around with it some more in the spring.

wiredgeorge
01-26-2021, 01:44 PM
This website is not for those who are expert backer-uppers but might help a person with somewhat stunted driving skills (like me):
https://www.towgo.com

Beast2017
01-27-2021, 01:01 PM
It will help those with two left feet while chewing bubble gum, but it doesn't stop you from backing into the roof overhang, that low hanging tree limb or the gas pump at the truck stop.....

You still need a spotter, knowledge of where you are and what's around the trailer. Otherwise, you can expect to dislike the system, possibly as early as the first experimental use.....

This ^^^^. Lol 😂. Winner winner!

notanlines
01-27-2021, 03:05 PM
I hope all of you remember how long it took to earn your man-card. Practices as simple as having Dancing With the Stars on your spare TV are cause for loss of privileges.
I would be very wary of downloading this cutesy option. What if you were fishing in a local tournament and the bud in your boat found out you had to use this to get your boat in the water?

wiredgeorge
01-27-2021, 04:14 PM
I hope all of you remember how long it took to earn your man-card. Practices as simple as having DWTS on your spare TV are cause for loss of privileges.
I would be very wary of downloading this cutesy option. What if you were fishing in a local tournament and the bud in your boat found out you had to use this to get your boat in the water?

I am trying to remember who was in a lather over the use of an "expression" someone said... was it "rolla"? Who was it that resented the use of that (not sure what it was... slang maybe?). WHAT THE HECK IS A DWTS? Now I am irate, going nts and purely agitated! :banghead:

notanlines
01-27-2021, 10:22 PM
See george? You get to keep your card. You didn’t recognize “Dancing with the Stars.” You made a good point so I changed it.
All told, it might have been better if I used Antiques Roadshow as an example.

flybouy
01-28-2021, 05:50 AM
See george? You get to keep your card. You didn’t recognize “Dancing with the Stars.” You made a good point so I changed it.
All told, it might have been better if I used Antiques Roadshow as an example.

Or maybe the "Lawrence Welk Show" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JRTJH
01-28-2021, 07:43 AM
Or maybe the "Lawrence Welk Show" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BUBBLES, Tiny Bubbles.... Oh wait, that was Don Ho, or was it Dean Martin ???

Lawrence Welk's bubble machine sure does bring back memories, lots of memories...

Beast2017
01-28-2021, 07:54 AM
I probably shouldn't look at it this way, but:

There was a time people had to operate the steering wheel with their right hand, signal a left turn with their left hand, push the clutch pedal with their left foot, use the accelerator with their right foot and shift into second with their right hand (while still maintaining control of the steering wheel and not causing the car to "buck" by coordinating the clutch and accelerator pedal in unison)... Every 14 year old that had been driving the family tractor between the butterbeans found it easy to do, as did nearly every girl and boy, without the benefit of driver's ed, something that had not yet even been conceived....

Then around 1956 or 57, GM introduced the "hot light" and the "generator light" to replace the temperature and ammeter gauges...

Now, digital dashes still have a fuel gauge, but nearly all of them also have a "miles to empty" indicator... I wonder when the fuel gauge will become "trivial information that's no longer needed" and we go to just a "MET number" next to the digital speed... You know, sort of an "all encompassing display" like 256 55 270

256 miles to empty, 55MPH, 2700RPM

and, as long as no other lights/messages are illuminated, you can go back to reading your phone messages on the center screen and occasionally checking the automatic driver settings.....

I've got two grandkids (24 and 22) that I taught to drive a standard transmission. Both of them are married to great people with a huge, loving heart, but neither of them can even start one without running into the garage door as soon as they turn the key to start.....

Lol - thank you this made my day. I had to learn to drive a manual transmission as well.

travelin texans
01-28-2021, 08:53 AM
BUBBLES, Tiny Bubbles.... Oh wait, that was Don Ho, or was it Dean Martin ???

Lawrence Welk's bubble machine sure does bring back memories, lots of memories...

Lawrence Welk was "follow the bouncing ball" for the sing a longs.

Stumpy75
01-31-2021, 08:55 AM
Lawrence Welk was "follow the bouncing ball" for the sing a longs.

No, that was Mitch Miller... :lol:

Lawrence Welk was the bubble guy.

I have one of those backup devices on my truck. I used it twice in a parking lot to try it out. Have not used it since.

What ever happened to the thought of putting your hand at the bottom of the wheel and turn it in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go? That's how I learned, and it still works! :cool:

rcwyatt
01-31-2021, 10:19 AM
The only time I use it is when I have to go straight back for a long distance. Makes doing that very easy. Never use when I have to turn the trailer. It is handy when you just have to go straight back when the truck is not aligned with the trailer. Never had it loose signal. I use Stumpys method of using the bottom of the wheel.

digitalpa
01-31-2021, 10:44 AM
I bought a 2019 F150 with the backup assist, 3.5 L EcoBoost and 10 speed trans. Towing a 32 Ft Keystone Hideout. I find the backup assist a great tool. I can place the ball under the receiver without anyone helping, so I can pick up my trailer from storage without anyone accompanying me. My wife appreciates that. Backing into the space is still a two-man op because it's very tight. But it simplifies the process simply. My only tip is to place a light colored tape over the black receiver so it really stands out. That is what gives my eyes what they need to be dead-on when hooking up. Yes, it does loose sight of the decal on the frame occasionally usually caused by shadow. but it easy to pull forward 6 -12 inches to get it to sight on again.

LHaven
01-31-2021, 11:52 AM
]My favorite and the one that really helped me was to back up and turn the wheel in the direction of the side that is BAD.
Hold the wheel at the bottom, turn the other way, yada, yada..... Not good.
When backing turn the wheel to the side that is bad. If you need the trailer to go right, the left side is bad so turn that way.

Wow, I'm confused just reading that.

I was always taught, turn the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer's butt to go. I found this very easy to remember, and very easy to use.

LHaven
01-31-2021, 11:57 AM
Lol - thank you this made my day. I had to learn to drive a manual transmission as well.

DW grew up driving her dad's manual VW bug. My HS car was actually a pushbutton tranny, so I wasn't trained.

We got married during the early '70s oil drought, so we wanted our first car to be a manual (and I would learn). Test driving cars in VA, the salesman would offer me the wheel; I'd get in the back and DW would take it for a spin. It unnerved the Southern salesmen no end. :rofl:

Rber1234
02-01-2021, 12:32 AM
As anyone used the Ford Trailer Backup Assist with a travel trailer?

Is-it a great?

It is a helpful tool to help you back your trailer up. You are just turning a small knob instead of turning your steering wheel. You still need to know how to back a trailer up. It does tend to loose sight of the control sticker in low light that you have to place on your trailer. When that happens you have to use your steering wheel.

gkainz
02-01-2021, 07:05 AM
I guess i don't understand the advantage of taking my hands off the wheel and grabbing/turning a small knob?

gtivr6mk4
02-01-2021, 08:46 AM
I have used it on a ~25ft boat trailer before.
The turning works ok but the real benefit is when you're not giving any input at all. Get the trailer in the direction you want it to go, take your hands off the wheel/knob, and just back up.
The trailer will go straight back in that direction, and the truck will follow it. It's always funny watching the steering wheel spin wildly back and forth as the truck straightens out.

Mikebikeman
02-01-2021, 01:23 PM
It's an awesome feature for straight line backing of a small 10 foot utility trailer. The type you have to continually angle side to side to keep it from jack knifing.

Spletbr
02-01-2021, 02:23 PM
Back to the original question, the system works great and is a great help. Yes, you need to read the stickers but plan ahead and turn it on a little before you need it. Why not have some tech help you. Yes, you still need to pay attention, make sure the surroundings are ok, use a spotter, etc. but if you’re not a great backer (my hand is up) this certainly helps. I love it. It’s not perfect, my wife doesn’t understand why I don’t go straight immediately when she tells me to but we’re good.

linux3
02-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Wow, I'm confused just reading that.

I was always taught, turn the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer's butt to go. I found this very easy to remember, and very easy to use.

Put your hand on the bottom of the wheel or turn in the opposite direction or turn in the direction that is bad.
They all just get the same thing.

If you are backing up and the right side is near a tree the right side i bad, turn that way.
It's all pretty much the same it's just whatever you can make work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1B5d_K2__4&t=840s

RV802
02-03-2021, 02:30 PM
And we had to use the left foot to operate the high beam/low beam button on the floor!

JRTJH
02-03-2021, 02:50 PM
And we had to use the left foot to operate the high beam/low beam button on the floor!

That reminds me: And pushing the starter button on the dash or before that, it was under the accelerator pedal... Easy to do until you flooded the carburetor, then you had to take off your right shoe and "sneak your big toe" under the accelerator pedal to get it started while pushing the clutch in and holding the brake pedal to keep from rolling..... Yep, lots more coordination required years ago than now, when you can hit the lock button on your remote, then push the "circling arrow button" two times and you've got 15 minutes of "warmup" while you drink that extra cup of coffee before putting on your coat....

LHaven
02-03-2021, 04:40 PM
I find the backup assist a great tool. I can place the ball under the receiver without anyone helping, so I can pick up my trailer from storage without anyone accompanying me.
My only tip is to place a light colored tape over the black receiver so it really stands out. That is what gives my eyes what they need to be dead-on when hooking up.

I'm still enthusiastic just having the tailgate backup camera that came with my current F-250. We have a ProPride hitch, which is hairier to hitch up than a standard ball mount. It's like having to drive a hot dog into a doughnut. I used a Testor's paint pen in silver to draw two lines on the top surface showing the inside edges of the trailer's hitch tunnel so as to get some contrast, then (after getting close and verifying the heights match) I just put the backup camera into magnify mode and I can slide the drawpost into the hitch tunnel first time. This always used to be a two-person operation in the past.

notanlines
02-04-2021, 06:16 AM
What I wouldn’t give to have wing windows, floor dimmer switch, and real hand operated floor vents again! Yep, I’m old!

JRTJH
02-04-2021, 06:48 AM
What I wouldn’t give to have wing windows, floor dimmer switch, and real hand operated floor vents again! Yep, I’m old!

Back then, heaters and defrosters were optional equipment. I'd guess that JC Whitney sold as many (maybe more) than the car manufacturer. One thing I don't miss about those cars was the serge wool seat covers. It was "really itchy" to sit in the back seat on the way home from the river in a wet bathing suit (or cut-off jeans) on those old wool seats. When Grandpa was driving, we "fought not to sit behind him".... He always spit his tobacco juice out the window and anyone sitting behind him would always get a shower.... I don't remember ever seeing him without a white shirt with a tobacco stain on it....

To keep this "sort of close" to the thread topic. The only knobs that I remember that could be turned were the radio volume and tuning knobs and the light switch, to dim the interior lights or turn on the overhead light. No such thing as a "backup assist" in those days...

LHaven
02-04-2021, 02:21 PM

Sometimes I miss wing windows. But I'll never forget the time ours sucked in a bird at highway speed. Smacked my father in the head and he almost lost control of the car.

FlyPatch
02-04-2021, 02:31 PM
It took me an hour to set up and calibrate on my 2020 Ford F250. I found you really need to be within 2-3 feet for the backup camera to see the stickers on the A-frame. Shadows or poor light or obstructions don't help. Once you finally get it calibrated, you still need to be super close, otherwise it won't engage. After a few attempts, I gave up and went back to using backup camera or spotter (if available). Nice idea...but fell a little short.

jimborokz
02-07-2021, 07:26 AM

When I first got my license if you took the road test on an automatic your license was marked and you weren't allowed to drive a standard. Oh yeah, and remember starting on a hill when the parking brake wouldn't hold you? That was some fancy foot work.

As for back up assist, I looked at the set up procedure and realized it was not for a 5th wheel and put it back in the box. I have a back up camera on the trailer but never use it, it just seems to distort the distances. DW is my trusted back up system and we use the cell phone/hands free system in the truck for communication.

BTW, I had a car once with the old trap door vents under the dash. I could get a whole 8 pack of Genny Juniors in there and keep them cool, and out of site if I got stopped. :whistling:

LHaven
02-07-2021, 02:00 PM
Oh yeah, and remember starting on a hill when the parking brake wouldn't hold you? That was some fancy foot work.

Sometimes, technology just makes things worse.

My current Jeep has an "automatic electronic parking brake" which is nothing but a switch. You need to depress the brake to release it, which means you can't use the traditional "uphill start" trick. So they had to invent a "hill assist" feature that automatically holds and releases the regular brakes for maybe three seconds while you start. Once you get used to the timing of the new dance, it isn't awful.

The problem is that if you ever need to reverse uphill, you're out of luck, because you get no assistance in that direction. :facepalm:

JRTJH
02-07-2021, 02:08 PM
Sometimes, technology just makes things worse.

The problem is that if you ever need to reverse uphill, you're out of luck, because you get no assistance in that direction. :facepalm:

And then we "circle back" to "it's so much better to know how to do it yourself" rather than rely on "technology"... I'd be "scared ****less" to think I was in an airplane with a pilot that couldn't fly the airplane if the "automatic flight controls" failed..... :hide:

Same with a RV'er who doesn't know how to back up his rig if we're in a "tight campground" like Fishing Bridge at Yellowstone NP..... I'd hate to come back after a day of chasing buffalo and watching Old Faithful, to find the side of my trailer missing because "Ford's system didn't work"....