PDA

View Full Version : Triple Axle Tire Changes

Bgoltrk
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a 2010 3914 LEV Raptor that we purchased new back in Sept 2010. I was wondering what you guys use to jack up your triple axle toy haulers for road side tire changes. I have a bottle jack that's rated for the axles by weight, but I'm not confident in the bottle jack for road side changes. I've thought about a floor jack, but that takes up space and is one more thing to secure. I saw some wedges at Camping World, but they're not rated for 18k.

Thank you in advance.

hankpage
11-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a 2010 3914 LEV Raptor that we purchased new back in Sept 2010. I was wondering what you guys use to jack up your triple axle toy haulers for road side tire changes. I have a bottle jack that's rated for the axles by weight, but I'm not confident in the bottle jack for road side changes. I've thought about a floor jack, but that takes up space and is one more thing to secure. I saw some wedges at Camping World, but they're not rated for 18k.

Thank you in advance.

subtract the pin weight and divide by six .... If your only lifting one wheel it is not that much weight. JM2¢, Hank

Bgoltrk
11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
subtract the pin weight and divide by six .... If your only lifting one wheel it is not that much weight. JM2¢, Hank

Thanks for the reply Hank. I'm good on the weight for the bottle jack. What I'm concerned with is the positioning of the bottle jack on the axle and lifting at a lean due to road crown. I tried it in front of my house where the shoulder actually slopes more than usual and I just wasn't comfortable with these two issues. Tried using boards under the jack to sturdy it as well as between the jack and axle. I've actually thought about fabricating a cradle the width of the axle tube and welding it to the top of the bottle jack.

hankpage
11-26-2011, 12:57 PM
I put the bottle jack under the spring hanger and you only have to lift ½ in. past the inflated tire. Any more and you are lifting the other axles. On the highway I use 2x12s and run the good tire up on two of them and it lifts it just enough :thumbsup: ...... I'm not sure how that works with triples. Hank

hankaye
11-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Howdy All;

I'll second the other Hank...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

hankaye

If you still feel the need to build an adapter for the jack
May I suggest some round tubing that fits 'snuggly' over
the top of the jacks ram, with another piece wielded to it
that has a curve to match the axle's diameter.

Bgoltrk
11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your advise. I like the idea of the snug fit Tubing over the ram so I wouldn't lose the ability to screw the ram to the needed height and I'm not welding on the jack either. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

hankaye
11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Bgoltrk, Howdy;

Yea, that high heat is murder on the seals, wipers and the fluid...

hankaye

Jaywest32
11-26-2011, 08:19 PM

Thank you in advance.

I actually had a flat today on my triple axle 2008 Raptor.. I used the jack from the 2011 F250. It worked just fine. I had a Trailer Aide (a small ramp tha t is supposed to pick up the neighboring flat) but it was useless as the triple axles are independent.. It just picks up the tire that it is under.. I used the rear supports to stabilize the trailer and then used the truck jack.. Everything went smooth and I was on a slope..

Hope this is helpful..

Bgoltrk
11-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Bgoltrk, Howdy;

Yea, that high heat is murder on the seals, wipers and the fluid...

hankaye

Thank you hankaye. :thumbsup:

I actually had a flat today on my triple axle 2008 Raptor.. I used the jack from the 2011 F250. It worked just fine. I had a Trailer Aide (a small ramp tha t is supposed to pick up the neighboring flat) but it was useless as the triple axles are independent.. It just picks up the tire that it is under.. I used the rear supports to stabilize the trailer and then used the truck jack.. Everything went smooth and I was on a slope..

Hope this is helpful..

Jaywest32, that does help. Thank you.

christopherglenn
11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
don't worry about the bottle jack. Set the brakes on the TV, and let the other 5 tires provide side to side stability.