PDA

View Full Version : rv cover durability/longevity

Frisbeekev
11-28-2020, 02:37 PM
On average how long do RV covers last before they get ripped up? I have had mine (Classic Accessories) for what is going on my third season (winter) and have been extremely careful when I put it on and take it off. However, over time it has had about 8 spots some on corners and edges that have ripped. The rips have occurred while it was on the unit. I have covered the sharp corners and gutter ends, have the correct size and made sure not to overtighten the straps.

I have patched them but to me it seems like the weather has taken a toll on the cover and it is drying out a more prone to ripping. Not sure I will get another season out of it. As with most covers it was expensive and I feel as though I should have gotten more than 3 seasons out of it. What is you experience if you cover your RV?

chuckster57
11-28-2020, 02:57 PM
Mine lasted 3 years and turned literally to dust. That was on my old trailer years ago, I won’t spend the money on a cover, I use a quality wax.

JRTJH
11-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Mine was on the trailer for one winter. In mid-winter, the cover was frozen to the trailer roof. We had planned a trip to south Texas to escape I had to make a decision to cut the sides off the cover or delay the trip. "Cheap me" decided to wait until I could safely remove the cover and keep it "in good condition"... We delayed the trip nearly two months, to save a $400 cover..... In mid spring, we finally got the cover unfrozen, removed it and found that it had a number of holes, so it essentially was a "one season cover"... Had I known that, I'd have cut the sides off and pull the rest of the cover off the trailer when we got to a "warmer climate"....

Since then, we parked the trailer in covered storage the next two winters until we built our pole barn to store it at home. No more fabric covers for our trailer......

gearhead
11-28-2020, 05:05 PM
I have used the Classic Accessories for the truck camper...the one with gray sides and white top. It has a 2 year warranty and lasts...2 years.
They make another model that is all gray with a lifetime warranty, I think.

travelin texans
11-28-2020, 06:09 PM
From noticing those with covers in our park, if you get 2-3 years out of any cover that's about the norm.
Personally spend the money on a good wax job before storing or put that $$ in a jar til you can build a cover, don't waste it in a cover.