PDA

View Full Version : Fw Drain issue

DocData757
11-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Went to put FW in the tanks today for the first time after having a water outage in the park yesterday. Started filling and found it was all running back out of an apparent drain pipe.

What i need to know before I fix this is... am I just missing the drain cap or is there a valve supposed to be there. For that matter, is there a valve already there but above the false floor down there?

This line (see photo) is on the left side of the camper just in front of the tires about a foot.

http://mustangone.com/images/FWDrain.jpg

Ayotte
11-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Mine has a drain cap. No valve.

SteveC7010
11-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Yup, that is the drain for the fresh water tank. There is no hidden valve, it is just a piece of plastic pipe with a cap on the end. There are actually two pieces to the cap, the white cap itself, and a white rubber gasket that fits inside the cap.

Any RV parts counter should be able to replace it for you. It is just a standard PEX fitting.

There should be two more of those pipes and caps hanging down under the trailer. They are the low point drains for the hot and cold water. They should be identical to the missing one on your fresh water tank. If need be, you could borrow one of those caps to take to the RV shop to show them what you need.

Or you may find it lying the ground somewhere.

DocData757
11-22-2011, 07:11 AM
The low point drains have no caps and nothing to screw them on to anyway.

The tank drain's gasket is still there just no cap. Going to the RV store at lunch.

Thanks all!

hankaye
11-22-2011, 07:32 AM
DocData757, Howdy;

They (the caps), are cheaper at your local hardware store... PEX is not RV specific.

hank

SteveC7010
11-22-2011, 07:51 AM
The low point drains have no caps and nothing to screw them on to anyway.

Hmmm. My Cougar has the same cap for all three drains: hot & cold low point and the fresh water tank. I wonder if your rig has valves inside?

They (the caps), are cheaper at your local hardware store... PEX is not RV specific.

I've looked in several big box and smaller hardware stores; not everyone carries them, but certainly worth a looksee if the RV shop is further away. What I am finding is more PEX to copper or brass fittings these days, and a lot less of the plastic PEX fittings. But every place is different.

DocData757
11-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Sorry. I did not mention that both the low point drains have valves up in the convenience center compartment.

msp2jxr
11-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Be careful on the cap you buy. I notice on my Cougar MKS 326 the low point drain caps are different than the fresh water cap. I don't know if this is particular to my trailer or not. The caps on the low point drain are more V shaped and the fresh water cap is squared off. Jay

DocData757
11-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Got the cap. Tank 1/3 full. Pump runs but no pressure. I am going on the assumption that it is behind the rear wall of the cargo bay so that is my next step. I would not think there were any valves on the pump that, if shut, would not already be giving me a problem with shore water and I'm not having any.

X-Treme
11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Maybe It just needs to prime? One of the valves in the convenience center is a valve that switches from the fresh water tank to the antifreeze jug suction line. Maybe this valve is in the "winter" position?

DocData757
11-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I'll have to test that. True of form with Keystone.... none of the stickers showing the positions of on and off match the reality of where the valve handles are at.

DocData757
11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Sure enough, that was it. The valve handle was in the winterize position and turning it 90 degrees solved the issue.

The sticker shows the 2 positions at 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock but the handle moves from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

gkainz
11-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Sure enough, that was it. The valve handle was in the winterize position and turning it 90 degrees solved the issue.

The sticker shows the 2 positions at 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock but the handle moves from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

rotate the sticker? :)

geo
11-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Dave -

X-Treme is correct. If the "Winterize" valve is on in the WaterWorks, the you are just pulling air. Switch that valve to the other position (probably not labelled correctly) and then the pump will pull from the fresh water tank. I have had this problem myself!

Ron

SLIMSHADIE
11-22-2011, 06:13 PM
My freshwater drain came with a valve like this one, from the factory. I like it cause if I lost the cap driving down the road, no big deal.

http://www.escousa.net/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=16880&Category_Code=V1

So i ordered 2 more for my low point drains. They were an exact match. Its basically like a compression fitting. I uninstalled the old low point couplings and replaced with theses new valves. I also replaced the last nut with the old cap, so its double stopped? :rofl:

X-Treme
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Mine were also labeled wrong, but my dealer had re labeled with a felt pen before I even picked it up. (been an absolutely AMAZING dealer) I have since used my label maker to completely re-label the waterworks area. Including the cable, satellite, etc. connections.

JRTJH
11-23-2011, 03:30 AM
My freshwater drain came with a valve like this one, from the factory. I like it cause if I lost the cap driving down the road, no big deal.

http://www.escousa.net/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=16880&Category_Code=V1

So i ordered 2 more for my low point drains. They were an exact match. Its basically like a compression fitting. I uninstalled the old low point couplings and replaced with theses new valves. I also replaced the last nut with the old cap, so its double stopped? :rofl:

Same valve was installed at the factory on our trailer. We didn't have a cap of any kind on it, just a short piece of tubing below the valve, so after draining for the winter, I put a piece of fiberglass screen around the assembly with with a wire tie, left it open just in case there was a little bit of water left in the drain. I'm wondering if there was/should have been a valve on all the trailers and either the factory didn't install it, it got broken off or removed for some reason and not reinstalled? Doesn't seem like there should be a drain without a way to easily open/close it.

trucker LOU
11-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I had the same valve as John, replaced it with elbow and length of pvc out to the side of trlr. now don't have to crawl under to drain FW tank.

Egnilk66
06-24-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm new to trailering. Have one day trip down and am getting ready for our first overnighter. My manual says not one word (that I can find) about low point fresh water drains.

I have three of them; two aft and one forward. Each of them have two screw offs in line. I unscrewed the lower-most ones and appended the sinks, but not more that a few cups came out.

1. Is this the proper way to drain the fresh water?
2. Am I operating these caps (valves?) properly?

2012 Springdale 26bhhs

Thanks, folks!

Egnilk66
06-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I think I have figured out the "Valve" or cap. One side is the compression fitting to keep it on the tube/pipe. The other is the cap. I've included a link to a pic of what I'm talking about.

http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/P3195402.jpg

I still can't figure out why no water came out.

Festus2
06-24-2012, 08:12 PM
If you have figured out how the cap on the low-point drains works, reach under and turn it until water starts to flow. If there is water in the lines, you should see water coming out of the end. Twist and tighten the cap after you detect water flowing out.

Doing this might result in air in the lines so you might need to purge the lines from air by leaving your taps open and running water.

Perhaps when you initially opened the low point drain valve, there was little or no water in the lines which resulted in only a small amount coming out. ???

You should have a separate drain for your fresh water tank. The two lines that are hanging down in your photo are the HW and CW low-point drains - not the FW tank.

CPE
06-26-2012, 01:13 PM
I installed a pex (1/2") ball valveX (1/4" opening) I got at Amazon(or several local hardware stores). I open this drain as my last prehook up tasks and let it drain. It is slow but very easy instead of unscrewing that fitting cap and reinstalling while going under there.
Also, I always fill fresh water tank about 1/2 ways immediately as I and friend had no water at site shortly after arriving at a site. I leave the pump off and use water directly from site and on when no water or low water pressure some times.

Egnilk66
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
You should have a separate drain for your fresh water tank. The two lines that are hanging down in your photo are the HW and CW low-point drains - not the FW tank.

This is what I have figured out. I guess I was ignoring the tube at the other end (the forward end) under the Fresh water fill area....which is actually the FW drain. I was looking at the HW & CW Low point drains, which is why only a small amount of water came out.

Thanks for your responses!

Egnilk66
06-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I installed a pex (1/2") ball valveX (1/4" opening) I got at Amazon(or several local hardware stores). I open this drain as my last prehook up tasks and let it drain. It is slow but very easy instead of unscrewing that fitting cap and reinstalling while going under there.
Also, I always fill fresh water tank about 1/2 ways immediately as I and friend had no water at site shortly after arriving at a site. I leave the pump off and use water directly from site and on when no water or low water pressure some times.

I think the ball valve is a GREAT idea and will look into it.

Thanks!

CPE
06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
PLEASE let me know and if you can't find the valve. (message)