PDA

View Full Version : flipped travel trailer

mustang94
11-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Is there any thing any one could do to stop this from happening?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

Bob Landry
11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
That video has been circulating for several months and has generated volumes of comments. It appears that the guy just got caught in a wind gust. There was no sway right before it happened,

jq1031
11-20-2011, 03:05 PM
WOW, never seen that before! Also, that was an ample truck not a little guy!

mustang94
11-20-2011, 03:11 PM
so I guess bigger truck doesn't always mean better? and I noticed there are no sway bars.... would they of helped out at all?

SLIMSHADIE
11-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I didn't see any weight distribution and/or sway bars either. Even though its a dually, the factory hitch, if it is, shouldn't of handled that big of a trailer anyways. I'm sure that park model had more than 500-600 lb tongue weight, empty.

f6bits
11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
From the video, it appeared that those taking the video noticed some telltale signs of impending doom and got out their camera. I’m too chicken to pull a trailer under worsening wind conditions. Without the trailer, I can feel gusts, so I bet the dually driver was also feeling some gusts.

Ron
11-20-2011, 04:27 PM
I have watched that video several times in the past and my best advice is if it was a wind gust that came along, there isn't anything that could of been done, hitch or otherwise. If the wind had been blowing all along, I would of pulled over somewhere and waited for it to calm down. It's just like the semi trailers you see blown over in strong winds on the highway, same thing definetly can and will happen with the rv's.

On our way back from AZ this year, we got into Jackpot NV and had pretty strong winds when arriving, so we just sat there for about 3 hours monitering the storm on my laptop and waited for it to pass. I guess just use some common sense. Better safe than sorry.

Happy Campin and safe travels....................Ron

cumminsdad08
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
my advice for the situation is to find another slower less travled route. and slow her down. i ran into some very extream high winds last spring on the interstate and i got behind a few semi's that were cruising right around 40 mph. there was an older route running directly along side the interstate, and i was albe to exit and run that around 35, and it had several areas in the "wood's" that blocked alot of the wind. i arrived about 45 min or so later, but at least we had a fun weekend. first time i was EVER scared to be behind the wheel of my truck. and i hope the last.

mhs4771
11-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I guess just use some common sense. Better safe than sorry.

Ron, "Common Sense" those are the key words. And there are plenty out there that don't have a lick of common sense.

2011 keystone
11-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Ron, "Common Sense" those are the key words. And there are plenty out there that don't have a lick of common sense.

For instance those who think they can safely pull a 30+ foot TT that is 8000lb+ with a 6 cylinder 1/2 ton truck

Ron
11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
How true, how true. I don't care how big the TV is, weather I am pulling with my Freightliner or even something bigger, there still is going to be a wind problem at times. My Living Quarters Horse trailer would handle alot more side wind than my 5ver cause it is shorter in height, and closer to the ground. I don't think there is even a time when pulling the horse trailer that we had to pull over in high winds. Happy Campin.............Ron

CarKath
11-20-2011, 06:31 PM
For instance those who think they can safely pull a 30+ foot TT that is 8000lb+ with a 6 cylinder 1/2 ton truck

Clearly not the case in this video. Wind load or some unseen mechanical failure caused this.

My personal opinion is that this accident was unavoidable. All the addon's they could have had or not.

People really have to get a handle on the fact, each individuals needs and configuration are unique to themselves. What works for you, may not work for me or anybody else.

Let's not stray to another thread about weight issues, it's getting old. And also please respect the OP and his topic.

2011 keystone
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I understand it was not the case here but there seems to be a few here that think its a good idea.I do not claim to be a member of the so called weight police but come on.

mustang94
11-20-2011, 07:58 PM
If it was me.... first I would slow down to see if it felt any better... if not then I would find a place to stop and face the truck and trailer into the wind rather then letting it hit on the side. Maybe even put the stab. legs out....

Ron
11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Mustang, I have seen truckers in Montana and Wyoming do that, I haven't had to go that far yet. I have always been able to get to a town. I have even seen the truckers under bridges and down in the barrow pits faceing into the wind, whatever it takes to save the trailer. Happy Campin...............Ron

gepaine
11-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I have a 24-foot Cougar that I pull with an Escalade. I have a WDH and anti-sway bars. I wouldn't travel without them, but I don't know if they would have prevented the trailer in the video from flipping. I was unable to hear the audio so I don't know if the actual wind conditions were described in terms of sustained wind and wind gusts. I had 3 experiences with wind events last year, and they have led me to believe that you can avoid disaster if you pay attention to weather forecasts and don't tow when high winds are predicted.

So what constitutes "high winds"? I think you have to rely on state DOT recommendations as to when it is safe to tow.

We were in Bakersfield last March and planning to drive over the Tehachapi Pass the next day. We stayed an extra day in Bakersfield when wind gusts exceeding 50 mph were predicted and the DOT recommended towing any trailers over the pass. (One trucker didn't listen and his trailer flipped over.)

In April we were going to drive from Las Vegas to Death Valley. Wind gusts of 20 to 25 mph were predicted. Should we go? We decided that since there was no DOT advice against towing that day, we would go. It was windy and a bit white knuckly at times, but we got there safely and I never felt like we were anywhere near loosing it.

In June we were in the Tri-Cities in eastern Washington, ready to head home (near Seattle). The forecast was for 40 to 50 mph wind gusts thru the Ellensburg area, but no DOT warnings not to tow. We waited an extra day for the winds to die down.

So my advice is to check the DOT weather forecasts and advice, and use your best judgement.

cumminsdad08
11-21-2011, 02:24 PM

what about a 6 cylinder 3/4-1 ton:rolleyes: (sorry couldn't resist:rolleyes:)