PDA

View Full Version : Possible Short

rcosta
11-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi,
I am experiencing a new problem with my electrical system. It was working fine this morning but now when I plug it into the house, the GFI clicks off. It is a 30 amp plug, with a new 30 amp heavy duty extension, into a 110 converter. I tried something else in the outlet and it worked fine, so I know it is not the outlet. Where should I try to begin to trouble shoot this? Thanks as always.

Ron
11-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I had the same problem one time and found that I forgot to turn off the A/C unit, trying to draw way to much current. Also if you have an electric WH maybe that is on also. If that doesn't work, turn off all breakers, then turn on the main and so on and see which one trips the power supply, that's if you have a short. Hope this helps. Happy Campin.................Ron

hankpage
11-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi,
I am experiencing a new problem with my electrical system. It was working fine this morning but now when I plug it into the house, the GFI clicks off. It is a 30 amp plug, with a new 30 amp heavy duty extension, into a 110 converter. I tried something else in the outlet and it worked fine, so I know it is not the outlet. Where should I try to begin to trouble shoot this? Thanks as always.

I don't understand what you mean by a 110 converter???? If the GFIC is tripping it has either gone bad or you are loosing the ground somewhere at one of your connections or you have voltage going to ground somewhere. The "something else" you tried may not have required a ground. What GFIC "clicks off" ... the one in the trailer or the house. :confused: Hank ........ or are you talking about a circuit breaker???

Bob Landry
11-19-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had a problem deciphering the problem.

Ron
11-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Ya Hank and Bob your right, I kinda looked through some of the lingo, I guess I was thinking back awhile about the problem I had and didn't read the post throughtly:bfart: I do know a little about electrical, I really do:o Have a great rest of the day and weekend..................Ron

ktmracer
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't understand what you mean by a 110 converter???? If the GFIC is tripping it has either gone bad or you are loosing the ground somewhere at one of your connections or you have voltage going to ground somewhere. The "something else" you tried may not have required a ground. What GFIC "clicks off" ... the one in the trailer or the house. :confused: Hank ........ or are you talking about a circuit breaker???

It's a common misconception that a GFI outlet must have a ground connection. They do NOT require a ground connection, just a hot and neutral, in fact they work fine w/o a ground in older homes w/o grounded outlets. The don't measure the current in the ground return line, if it did it would provide little protection against electrocution, since it would only work if "victim" was connected between that ground return and the hot leg. In most cases the "victim" is connected between the hot leg and some other form of earth return ground.

If it is really the GFI tripping, and not a circuit overload, it means you have a leakage path between the hot and earth ground or a GFI that has gone bad (not all that uncommon).

GFI looks at the difference between current in the hot and neutral legs of a circuit. A difference of a few 10's of milliamps and it trips. circuits with motors or transformers occasionally trip GFI's when dirt buildup and leakage in the windings allow a path to ground. Another possibility is a point where neutral legs and ground legs physically touch in a box. the resultant small current in the ground leg will very often trip the GFI.

First thing I'd do is turn off all the breakers in the trailer, including the main breaker. Turn them on one at a time till the GFI trips. If it trips with all the breakers off, it means the leakage path is either in the extension cord or the main feed between the trailer input and the breaker box. If it trips with a given breaker on, you'll need to start turning loads on and off to see what trips it.

rcosta
11-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. I located the problem with two breakers. WH and Gen. I have to figure out where to go from here. All the fuses are good. Thanks again.

chain_dogg
11-20-2011, 09:44 AM
It's a common misconception that a GFI outlet must have a ground connection. They do NOT require a ground connection, just a hot and neutral, it.

bingo !

you can install a GFI Plug, and install 3 wire plugs down stream in a home even without a ground legally