PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin about a new toy hauler

CaptRon
11-19-2011, 09:34 AM
I know "BEST" is dependent on preferences but just wondering what you guys would think would be the best brand/model for my needs?
My 2 daughters and son in laws all ride dirt bikes. What I'd like to get is a toy hauler that can carry at least 5 bikes.
Must be easy to clean i.e. "No carpet".
5th wheel is my preferred hookup.
Don't want to spend a fortune on a bunch of fake wood cabinets. My Montana has those "so-called" upgraded cabinets. 100% cheap crap that just looks good on the outside.
Durable!! A friend had a Wanderer that evidently got a water leak in the roof towards the front that went undetected and eventually caused the siding to pull away from the framing up front thus causing a big section to break away. Since then I've seen several just like his. Folks have a sheet of plywood screwed on over the hole and siding. I don't want that!!!
Thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ironryders
11-19-2011, 04:43 PM
I just bought a Raptor Velocity 365LEV with a 12 foot garage. It's just big enough for the HD Dyna and the Fat Boy. It does have the creature comforts too. Got it out once before the pink stuff. Jury is still out on a long trip. Planning for winter. Good luck.

CaptRon
11-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I just bought a Raptor Velocity 365LEV with a 12 foot garage. It's just big enough for the HD Dyna and the Fat Boy. It does have the creature comforts too. Got it out once before the pink stuff. Jury is still out on a long trip. Planning for winter. Good luck.

Pink Stuff????

Ironryders
11-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Had to winterize...sad day.

Festus2
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM
RV antifreeze is often referred to as "pink stuff".

CaptRon
11-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh got it......Doh!!!

dave-g
11-21-2011, 03:00 AM
last year I bought a 325srx- It has worked out but 3 bikes is max.

This is my 1st 5th wheel- I'll NEVER go back to a trailer. They pull very nice.

From your description, I hope you have a 350 or 450 with dual rear wheels for the weight?

jje1960
11-23-2011, 01:32 PM
last year I bought a 325srx- I has worked out but 3 bikes is max.

This is my 1st 5th wheel- I'll NEVER go back to a trailer. They pull very nice.

From your description, I hope you have a 350 or 450 with dual rear wheels for the weight?
We also have the 325SRX, see needing one of those big triple axle units for 5 bikes and the config use for this. We carry a golf cart in the SRX, but 5 bikes is a non-starter. Also agree that the 350/450 dually is going to be needed for this load.

KenBob
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't have any recommendations as very little info is given. So here goes with some questions.

Are you hauling everything? (bikes, gear, food, fuel, water, people)

Do you have a floor plan in mind? (slides, garage, multiple bathrooms, etc) or a "bowling alley" (no slides or garage)

Is everyone going to sleep in the TH?

How long will the trips be?

You can have 2 identical rigs and one can take a beating without problems and one can have a myriad of problems. Most RVers will post problems a lot more than praise. Check out used THs to see how they have held up.

CaptRon
11-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't have any recommendations as very little info is given. So here goes with some questions.

Are you hauling everything? (bikes, gear, food, fuel, water, people)

Do you have a floor plan in mind? (slides, garage, multiple bathrooms, etc) or a "bowling alley" (no slides or garage)

Is everyone going to sleep in the TH?

How long will the trips be?

You can have 2 identical rigs and one can take a beating without problems and one can have a myriad of problems. Most RVers will post problems a lot more than praise. Check out used THs to see how they have held up.
Hauling everything (fuel can go in the back of the truck)
Probably a bowling alley. Generally a couple of nights at a time.
4 people most of the time.

KenBob
11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Since your post is on a Keystone forum, are you considering Keystone only? New? Used? Most later THs have fuel stations and gennies. Length preference. Tub shower or walk in. There are several things to consider. Make a list of what would make YOUR perfect TH. Do not sell yourself short. Look for what you want/need than what you can "live" with. Your trips are for riding, not dealing with RV shortfalls. JMHO