PDA

View Full Version : Great Recipes?

forest376
11-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Anybody got any great RV recipes to share? Or at least, their favorite meal while camping? Our trips are done on the weekends, so we mostly grill steaks and make mash potatoes.....nothing fancy, just keeping it simple. Pre-made hamburger soup would be nice if the temps are cooler.

2011 keystone
11-16-2011, 03:27 PM
hamburgar soup sound good what is it.:wave:

geo
11-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Basically, take hamburger meat, brown it in the soup pot, and chop it up with the spatial as a first step. Drain the cooked out grease using a collander, but leave what doesn't gravity drain from the pot and meat, adds some flavor. Add chicken broth and the rest of what you want for soup fixings. We use canned sliced new potatoes - all ready cooked and sliced and the juice adds flavor. Frozen soup mix vegetables makes it easy and quick also. Cook it a while until all is done and hot. It is really an easy-made soup. Add salt and/or herbs to your own taste.

You can also substitute ground turkey for the hamburger. We use the 85% fat free as the 95% seems to have no flavor in the soup.

Ron

Outbackmel
11-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Yep, that's the ticket.....use tasteless meat...like my grandpa used to say...make sure it's cooked well, stir frequently. simmer. When done and ready to serve, just open the screen door and THROW IT TO THE BIRDS!! :bdance:

Ever notice how FAT those "starlings" are?? Good campfire stew!!

OK, only kidding.....heck, gotta have some fun here....;)

cumminsdad08
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
or, how about, cook it up real well done, serve on a paper plate, dump plate out for dog to eat and eat the plate.:wave: JK. JK.

really i tackle breakfast in our group, (mainly cause i am the only one up in enough time to have it done in time for breakfast, IE before 11 am:rofl:). a favorite with my group is mushy, not sure if thats what its called, but it usually ends up looking like it. i start by making homefries, a lot or them, i keep them a little soft, mix in some onions while cooking. i then make some scrambled eggs and mix in some real fine choped green peppers and a little bit of cheese. i mix them all up in a large container and cover with foil and let it sit while i make up some pankakes or waffles or french toast,(what ever i feel like that morning). i then usually have to reheat the "mushy mix" and serve as is. i have found, that for whatever reason, it tends to just taste better when it sits and reheats after a little bit, not sure why, but it does. not sure if i am copying it from somewhere, but i came across it one morning a little bit ago when all the containers were dirty, (i am a guy, i don't wash dishes:rofl:) and had only one left, so thats where everything went. everyone seems to enjoy it.

my wife nails dinner usually, and she makes a real mean lasagna(sp?), i am not sure why, buy it always taste's better in the RV then at home. i guess the propane is her secret. i am almost sure she just makes it out of the box and leaves the funny cheese out. that stuff kinda looks funny to me.

mustang94
11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
just open the screen door and THROW IT TO THE BIRDS!! :bdance:

I just laughed so hard.... thanks I needed that....:rofl:

hankpage
11-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I've found that a crock-pot works well while camping. Throw whatever in it in the morning ... spend the day site seeing or at the beach and when you get back you have a tasty meal all ready. I also use crock-pot liners so there is no clean up. Our neighbors usually end up hating us because they smell it cooking all day. I like the meals from the crock-pot, my DW prefers them from Applebee's, Chili's or anyplace else with a good "Happy Hour". Why wait till 5 ... it's 4 o'clock somewhere and two for one. :party:

Txoutback
11-17-2011, 07:26 AM
I have to have my campfire Frito pie when they allow campfires but with the drought it has been a while. I have a campfire skillet that I saute the onions and roast the frito's on. Cook on the camp fire whatever chili you like, lightly roasted frito's in the bowl, cover with the chili, throw on the sauted onion's, cheese and enjoy. Winter time best for me :)
Or instant oatmeal :(

forest376
11-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Geo got it right on the hamburger soup! The bisquick pancake mix in the bottle is just too easy for making flapjacks, just add water, shake & pour. Also Hungry Jack makes it easy to make hash browns - add hot water to the carton, wait a few mins, pour out on the griddle - just way too easy.

Last year I went camping by myself in a popup. After doing a 25 mile bike ride (cycling), I celebrated by cooking grilled sausage and pork & beans. Normally I would not cook something like this being in a confined area with others - you know how the DW fusses when us men just can't hold back the gas! It's not like those darn RV bedrooms are big enough and heck you ain't going outside to "let one fly". Anyhow, I thought it was a great opportunity to cook and eat what I wanted......

Went camping with another couple two weekends ago, the Cougar 26SAB has some pretty thin walls - the other couple was sleeping on the pull out couch. In the middle of the night, i waited until the heater came on to make any disturbing noise. Not sure if the DW was laughing or fussing....

SAABDOCTOR
11-17-2011, 09:21 AM
YUM!!! DRUNKIN CHICKEN IS MY FAV! CHICKEN BREAST, LIGHTLY BREADED (EGG, PANKO OR BREAD CRUMBS) SEASON TO TASTE SALT PEPPER GARLIC THEN JUST LIGHTLY BROWN THE CHICKEN IN OLIVE OIL THEN PUT IT IN A POT WITH MUSHROOMS AND YOUR FAVORITE WINE. ENOUGH TO COVER THE CHICKEN PLUS AN INCH SIMMER ALL DAY. THEN HAVE FUN. IT'S BETTER ON DAY 2 IF THERE IS ANY LEFT.:bdance:

geo
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't know how many of our forum members shop at World Market. Here in North Texas, World Market has a fantastic selection of wine and beer, and not necessarily from "big name" brewers and wineries! And some great prices also!

But, that is not what this is post is meant to be about. (Sorry, easily distracted by above subject matter. :rofl:) World Market has some great microwave and cooking accessories that RVers would certainly appreciate! Well, maybe most RVers? We bought a microwave vegetable steamer and a microwave rice cooker for about US$5 each - and they both work GREAT! We also bought a "Pancake Pen" for our son-in-law who is a wonderful chef! Basically, you put pancake batter in this plastic container that has a protruding spout, and use that to make unusual shaped pancakes - shamrocks, exclamation points, flowers, etc. It actually is great fun! They also have some interesting pancake mixes - gingerbread, oat, etc.

And, if you haven't discovered the "Ny'ackers Ginger Snaps" (think I spelled that correctly) yet, you are in for a great surprise!

Ron

Handysam
11-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Txoutback, that is my favorite solo meal. If I get down to the campground early and by myself, I like to take a can of hormel chili, dump it over a bowl of fritos, add some onion and shredded cheese and I'm good to go. I wonder how many here know of "Goetta" as in a breakfast food. Now that stuff is very popular here in Cincy, and mighty good with eggs and bacon.

Txoutback
11-18-2011, 07:08 AM
I wonder how many here know of "Goetta" as in a breakfast food. My grandmother & mom used to make this and we called it 'grandma sausage'. I didn't know it had a real name :thumbsup:

Roasting the fritos and onions on the campfire gives it that smokey flavor that you just can't get at home.

forest376
11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
How do ya'll stand that chili in those small bedrooms?

Ron
11-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Ya answer that one, come on let's here it?:yes:

Handysam
11-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Ya answer that one, come on let's here it?:yes:

Well as I said, It's when I get there early and "solo":rofl:

hankaye
11-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Howdy All;

How do ya'll stand that chili in those small bedrooms?

My only company is Rascal (see signature), I keep the vent in the bedroom, (highest point with outside access), cracked open. Rascal moves down hill to the livingroom couch. :thumbsup:

hankaye

forest376
11-18-2011, 06:40 PM
He is one smart collie!

Alfonso8100
03-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Basically, take hamburger meat, brown it in the soup pot, and chop it up with the spatial as a first step. Drain the cooked out grease using a collander, but leave what doesn't gravity drain from the pot and meat, adds some flavor. Add chicken broth and the rest of what you want for soup fixings. We use canned sliced new potatoes - all ready cooked and sliced and the juice adds flavor. Frozen soup mix vegetables makes it easy and quick also. Cook it a while until all is done and hot. It is really an easy-made soup. Add salt and/or herbs to your own taste.

You can also substitute ground turkey for the hamburger. We use the 85% fat free as the 95% seems to have no flavor in the soup.

Ron
Looking sounds good....i sure will must be try this at home...i also found one this type of nice recipe from a magazine.I sure will must be next time post here.....Thanks for sharing this....

gerry.witt
04-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Yes, crock-pots are a great way to preserve flavor and eat healthy.

SAABDOCTOR
04-05-2012, 05:18 AM
HEY FESTUS!!! I think I see a new catagory for the forum:bdance: it would be great fun to exchange resipes!! what do ya'll think?

Badboy
04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Need cast iron skillet.spray with pam cooking spray,place frozen cookie dough in pan to cover bottom of pan,cover with lid and put over fire,make sure it don't burn,take off fire scoop on ice cream cool whip chocolate syrup,camel syrup and chopped nuts and enjoy MMMMMMMMMMM Good.:thumbsup: :bdance::bdance:

SAABDOCTOR
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
oh bad boy I just gained 10 lbs:bdance:

Jim & Kay
04-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Like some of the others have said, we use our crock pot a lot when camping. One of our favorites is, Pot Roast. Get a london broil beef roast, put in crock pot, sprinkle top of beef with envelope of dry onion soup mix, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, cook 6 to 8 hrs on low. Very tender and delicious, we usually have a baked potato and a veggie with it for a great fast meal.

SAABDOCTOR
04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Ok all i am talking with fetus2 about starting up a group to exchange good grumbels. so if this flies start getting ready to post them. I like what i see no dang rabbit food!!! everyone have a great Easter and or Passover."bouncey:

Festus2
04-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I will be helping Barney set up a group next week in the forum's "Social Group" section. Members who are interested in sharing recipes and other cooking ideas can join up once this special interest group has been established. Until then, please hold on to your favorite recipes and other cooking comments.
There are several other Social groups that have aleady been formed by members who own the same model RV's and tow vehicles.
This newly-formed cooking group as well as our current Social groups can be accessed by doing the following:
1) Find and click on "Community" in the blue bar at the top of the page.
2) From that menu, click on "Social Groups".

Again, please wait until the group has been set up before submitting any further recipes or cooking "stuff". Thank you.

gerry.witt
05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I love crockpots.