PDA

View Full Version : Another Winterization Question

forest376
11-14-2011, 07:13 AM
I have been reading all the winterization questions. I live in South Georgia, so our winter temps did not dip as low as in the Northern States. Here is the question? Will draining out the hot water heat, and blowing out the water lines with an air compressor do the job? I really don't want to go with the RV antifreeze method. Thanks in advance.

Festus2
11-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Rather than using RV antifreeze, some members use the "air" method to winterize and have found that to be successful. Perhaps a member who uses this method could chime in with the recommended psi setting for your compressor.

hankpage
11-14-2011, 08:34 AM
I have been reading all the winterization questions. I live in South Georgia, so our winter temps did not dip as low as in the Northern States. Here is the question? Will draining out the hot water heat, and blowing out the water lines with an air compressor do the job? I really don't want to go with the RV antifreeze method. Thanks in advance.

Yes, blowing out the lines will work fine. Just be sure to put antifreeze in all the traps and the toilet after you have blown out the lines and opened the low point drains. Some folks also recommend running the fresh water pump dry for a few seconds to be sure all water is out of it. Do not exceed 50 psi and you should be good to go. Also be sure not to leave any water sitting in your holding tanks. This is why I like the antifreeze method since the antifreeze protects the dump-valves from freezing too. Hoping for a mild winter, Hank .............. Don't forget the outside shower .. this is from the voice of experience.

Outbackmel
11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Here is the deal from a now "GA boy" for the past 5 years. We keep our RV in a park in Dahlonega and live in Dacula, 52 miles south. Gets cold in them thar hills, but not as cold as Syracuse, NY was !! ;)

For 2 years, having; a 2005 Hornet, 31ft TT; I drained the hot and fresh water tanks; opened low points; drained and blew the system. Dumped some pink stuff into each drain and toilet and never had any issue. Make sure your low point drains are CLEAR and no water remaining or they WILL freeze and potentially crack. Just use common sense. If it looks like it could freeze and crack, ensure it is clear of water. I blew mine out from the high point of the kitchen sink. For $3 you can also buy a blowout plug from Walmart. Could not hurt to use both. For the faucet blowout, I used a tubless tire valve stem. Fits right into your hose. Works great.

You still need to service your other items like refer; battery, propane, etc. I kept mine plugged in and used it 2x a month and just brought water, food and a camp toilet with me.

I now have a new Outback 36 ft 5er and I use pink stuff through it. Was EZ to install a water pump kit and winterize. Everyone has an opinion on their favorite method. A LOT depends on where you live and how you store your RV. :cool3:

forest376
11-14-2011, 10:31 AM
When using the air compressor method, does that eliminate any need to put any antifreeze in the fresh water tank?

Outbackmel
11-14-2011, 11:41 AM
For the most part, you do not need to put any pink antifreez in the fresh water tank. I did and do as a precaution. I only put enough in so the exposed drain tube on the underside shows pink. This is a very narrow tube and any moisture will expand and place pressure and potential cracking. This does not take much pink stuff and is easily flushed. If I think about it, draining and leaving the cap off underneath will accomplish the same thing. If I did that, I would place something mesh around the cap opening to prevent the infamous lady bugs in Georgia from finding a new winter home.

While the fresh water tank is a concern, it should be of lesser concern than the plastic lines and fittings. That's where moisture can lie, freeze and cause issues.

Hope this helps clarify....you can PM me if you have more questions. I am retired and check this site often. I enjoy all of the GREAT advice and have found it to be a valuable resource.

Ron
11-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Don't forget the black tank flush if you have one, and also blow the line out on the inlet side of the water pump back to the fresh water tank........Ron

2011 keystone
11-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Also dont forget to pull the screen on the city water hookup and push in on the valve in there. stand to the side when you do this or you will get a shower.

hankpage
11-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Also dont forget to pull the screen on the city water hookup and push in on the valve in there. stand to the side when you do this or you will get a shower.

If you blow out with air from the city inlet you do not have to touch the check valve. If you blow out from a faucet or pump pink stuff from the fresh water pump you should drain the check valve BUT!!!! Release any pressure by opening a faucet first or you will most likely damage the seal in the check valve. This is the voice of experience again. :rolleyes:

forest376
11-16-2011, 03:16 PM
thanks for all the great information, you guys rock!