PDA

View Full Version : Matching Wheel

Bbouch84
10-14-2020, 04:08 PM
So i am wondering how i can go about getting a matching aluminum wheel as a spare since our spare is steel. God forbid we need it is atleast want it to match the other wheelse.

flybouy
10-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Take a look at Sendel.com or RecStuff.com and see if you can identify the model number. Then Google the make/model of the wheel and you'll find them.

roadglide
10-14-2020, 05:54 PM
I had a flat tire along the way and had to use the lug nuts from the aluminum rims . The steel wheel are not the same design. I drove a couple miles and had them repair my tire and bought set of Lugnuts for the spare steel wheel.

skids
10-15-2020, 10:13 AM
I had a flat tire along the way and had to use the lug nuts from the aluminum rims . The steel wheel are not the same design. I drove a couple miles and had them repair my tire and bought set of Lugnuts for the spare steel wheel.

You have to be kidding! I know the socket sizes are different but the lugnuts from the mag wheel will not fit???

flybouy
10-15-2020, 11:07 AM
You have to be kidding! I know the socket sizes are different but the lugnuts from the mag wheel will not fit???

It's not an issue of socket size. The studs don't change. The difference is the thickness of the aluminum wheel vs the steel wheel. The aluminum wheels use an "acorn nut" (the lug nut is a blind hole, the hole doesn't go thru the nut) so when you go to mount the thinner steel wheel the nuts cannot go on far enough for the lug nuts to tighten against the steel wheel.

Bill-2020
10-15-2020, 06:50 PM
Take a look at Sendel.com or RecStuff.com and see if you can identify the model number. Then Google the make/model of the wheel and you'll find them.

Recently put on four new and different style Sendel's. TT came with Sendel chinese knockoffs. Sad. Glad to have the real thing now (with Carlisles).

skids
10-16-2020, 03:28 PM
It's not an issue of socket size. The studs don't change. The difference is the thickness of the aluminum wheel vs the steel wheel. The aluminum wheels use an "acorn nut" (the lug nut is a blind hole, the hole doesn't go thru the nut) so when you go to mount the thinner steel wheel the nuts cannot go on far enough for the lug nuts to tighten against the steel wheel.

That is just criminal!

JRTJH
10-16-2020, 04:29 PM
That is just criminal!

Check the wheel size and wheel type on the spare on any Ford truck that's equipped with 20" aluminum or cast wheels on the ground......

roadglide
10-16-2020, 04:58 PM
That is just criminal!

I don’t believe you could get 100 lbs of torque on a steel rim with out destroying it in someway or another using the lug nuts that Came off aluminum deep set rims. Get matching rims or carry eight different Lugnuts for the steel spare rim.

IMASAP
10-16-2020, 04:58 PM

I read about this lug nut problem here on this forum a couple years ago. Until then, I had never imagined I would not be able to mount my steel spare on the trailer in the event of a flat tire. I immediately bought five open ended lug nuts to keep in with my emergency stuff (jack, tools, etc.). Dunno what Keystone was thinking, including a spare you couldn't use without an appropriate set of nuts.

BrooksFam
10-17-2020, 05:32 AM
I read about this lug nut problem here on this forum a couple years ago. Until then, I had never imagined I would not be able to mount my steel spare on the trailer in the event of a flat tire. I immediately bought five open ended lug nuts to keep in with my emergency stuff (jack, tools, etc.). Dunno what Keystone was thinking, including a spare you couldn't use without an appropriate set of nuts.

Good reminder as I've known this (and forgotten) from experience since I was a teenager in the 70's. It's not a new thing, but does remind me to ensure I have the correct lug nuts for the spare.

One more thing on the list to get before we go on our maiden voyage. I've had several motorhomes, but this is my first TT.

skids
10-17-2020, 08:30 AM
Check the wheel size and wheel type on the spare on any Ford truck that's equipped with 20" aluminum or cast wheels on the ground......

Oh WONDERFUL! So I probably need 6 more lug nuts for the truck. I’ll have to check that...

Thanks for the heads up.