PDA

View Full Version : 325 srx ladder

dave-g
11-14-2011, 03:07 AM
has any one had complaints from their kids about the ladder to the loft. With the round rungs- with out shoes it is painful to climb.

I was looking to some how make the top flatter- looking for any ideas.

smiller
11-14-2011, 08:37 AM
With the round rungs- with out shoes it is painful to climb. Agreed, I wear slippers when climbing or... ouch. I would also like to hear any ideas. Maybe you could flatten the tops of the existing rungs (assuming one has the carpentry skills)? But even then the surface area would be pretty small.

jje1960
11-14-2011, 01:59 PM
has any one had complaints from their kids about the ladder to the loft. With the round rungs- with out shoes it is painful to climb.

Yea, pretty brutal on the bare feet that's for sure. Slippers or flip flops help, that's for sure. Not sure that flattening the round ladder rungs would help much, anything else would need to swivel allowing the ladder to go back in flush. Anyone figure this out without the ordeal of the century would be nice!

Maxzd
11-15-2011, 10:22 PM

The ladder design is not ideal, not a fan of the round rungs too.. I also think the height is too low, seems like it should be taller.. It's awkward to determine where the first rung is, and my little guy is at least a year away before he can use the space without supervision.. We have one of those toddler bed rails that slides under the mattress. Blocks the entire opening but Can we adjusted to make it more obvious where the ladder is.

I looked at bunk bed ladders at a local furniture store in the summer, just happened to be there buying something else for the house. I didn't see anything that was quite right, but there might be a solution out there that could be modified..

With enough of us on the forum with this srx model we can find a solution!

My winter project is to rip out the stairs to the bedroom/bathroom. I am almost 6'8" tall and I think the step is ridiculous. I am going to make two stairs, and either drawers for kick plates or hinged treads for storage. I have inspiration from a 5th wheel I saw at the fall RV show. Measurements were exactly the same space, and extends out to the edge of the door..

dave-g
11-16-2011, 02:46 AM
well I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I was thinking some thing like this
http://www.slipnot.com/products/ladder-rung-covers/

but going to make them myself out of wood.

Or just pull the ladder apart and build new flat top rungs.

JRTJH
11-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Kids don't weigh very much, so why not a couple of good quality 1x4's, trimmed down to about 1x3 with 15" ladder rungs of the same dimension glued and screwed together. Add some steel ladder hooks at the top so it can be hooked it over the top bunk rail. You could also add some U shaped attachments on one side of the ladder so it could be used as a guard rail for the top bunk once the kids are up there.

hankaye
11-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Howdy All;

I think ya'll be over thinking this a tad...

Just get some of the foam pipe insulation or some pool noodles cut to fit the rungs some rubber cement to hold them on and keep them from rolling around the rungs...

As the Magician sez...zoot, zoot ....Poof! :bdance: ... done.

hankaye

jje1960
11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Howdy All;

I think ya'll be over thinking this a tad...

Just get some of the foam pipe insulation or some pool noodles cut to fit the rungs some rubber cement to hold them on and keep them from rolling around the rungs...

As the Magician sez...zoot, zoot ....Poof! :bdance: ... done.

hankaye
Will the ladder still stow flush with the extra padding? I have not gone out to measure, but don't remember very much room in the stow position recess.

jje1960
11-16-2011, 02:21 PM
My winter project is to rip out the stairs to the bedroom/bathroom.With as handy and ambitious as you are... I've seen a unit that has carpeted stairs going to the loft. While it would take some space out of the garage, seems doable.... Not sure how much or what you put in the garage, but I think this would be possible with our setup, being the golf cart only takes up the width of the garage door on the opposite side. Just a thought.

hankaye
11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
jje1960, Howdy;

The glueing them in place isn't a requirement.
If you're worried about storing the ladder just slip the tred covers on and off when ya need them.
Should be able to stow them in a smallish space...

hankaye

jje1960
11-17-2011, 03:15 PM
jje1960, Howdy;

The glueing them in place isn't a requirement.
If you're worried about storing the ladder just slip the tred covers on and off when ya need them.
Should be able to stow them in a smallish space...

hankaye
Ahhh, rgr that, understand your point now. Not a bad idea, once at destination and the slide out, slip them on, remove when the ladder needs to be replaced. Thanks for the tip.

hankaye
11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
jje1960, Howdy;;

Ahhh, rgr that, understand your point now. Not a bad idea, once at destination and the slide out, slip them on, remove when the ladder needs to be replaced. Thanks for the tip.

ROFLMBO !!! I have folks constantly pointing out that I missed the obious
ALL the time....
Kinda getting used to those "Homer Moments" ... :rofl: :rofl:

hankaye

jje1960
12-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Considering the recent info about the ladder coming out of the stowage position......