PDA

View Full Version : New Tow Vehicle

SoonerLT
09-23-2020, 10:29 AM
First of all, I must echo all the comments from members regarding how valuable this forum has been for me.

Upgraded my 1500 CC Z71 last night to a Sierra 2500HD Diesel for our 2021 Outback 291UBH. Couldn’t be happier with the decision. It was clear to me it was the right truck for this 1/2 ton trailer after the first tow.

Let me just say, however, that you can pull a 1/2 to trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. It is possible but you just have to manage the numbers and setup properly and know you are on the edge of the envelope for what these trucks can do. But as they say in aviation, there’s not a lot of use for runway behind you or air above you. The extra runway makes all the difference (not to mention I’m not dreading the climbs).

That said, a quick shout at to the 1 tonners. Yes, a 3500 and/or gasser gives me plenty of cargo capacity for not much more $. I get it, but this will be more than enough for the TT while the kids are at home and any FW will be for me and the DW with limited cargo in the truck.

That said a few pics and some specs:

WDH is Equalizer E2 10K, 6 washers
Uncoupled FW: 40 1/8
Uncoupled RW: 41 3/4

Coupled FW: 40 3/8
Coupled RW: 40 1/4

Coupled WDH FW: 40 1/8
Coupled WDH RW: 41

Overall feels pretty good, though I may try adding a washer to help with loading the bars.

Off to the scales for a reweigh.

Appreciate all of the advise, wisdom and banter on here. Really helps build confidence, but, most importantly, keeps everyone safe!

Sorry about the pics, haven’t figured out how to orient them correctly for posting.

Safe Travels.

sourdough
09-23-2020, 12:25 PM
Congrats! That's a good looking truck.

Canonman
09-23-2020, 01:56 PM
Now that's one good looking outfit! IMHO you have plenty of headroom with regards to payload and other related towing specs. Now just go out and "get her dirty":lol:

markcee
09-23-2020, 02:24 PM
Sorry about the pics, haven’t figured out how to orient them correctly for posting.

Safe Travels.

Nice looking setup, congratulations!

Here is how to fix your pics (at least it works for me when they are taken with an iOS device):

1. Bring up the picture on your iPhone and select 'EDIT'
2. Choose the 'rotate' icon on the bottom of the screen
3. Rotate the pic once with the 'rotate tool' (on top, second from left)
4. Click 'DONE'

Repeat steps 1 - 4, this time rotating the pic back to it's original position in step 3.

SoonerLT
09-23-2020, 03:07 PM
Now that's one good looking outfit! IMHO you have plenty of headroom with regards to payload and other related towing specs. Now just go out and "get her dirty":lol:
Thanks! Leaving tomorrow Canonman!

SoonerLT
09-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Nice looking setup, congratulations!

Here is how to fix your pics (at least it works for me when they are taken with an iOS device):

1. Bring up the picture on your iPhone and select 'EDIT'
2. Choose the 'rotate' icon on the bottom of the screen
3. Rotate the pic once with the 'rotate tool' (on top, second from left)
4. Click 'DONE'

Repeat steps 1 - 4, this time rotating the pic back to it's original position in step 3.
Thanks for the tips markcee. I’ll give it a try next time.

SoonerLT
09-23-2020, 03:12 PM
Congrats! That's a good looking truck.
Thanks Sourdough. I see you’re in West TX. Do you still agree????

sourdough
09-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Thanks Sourdough. I see you’re in West TX. Do you still agree????

Sure! Lived in OK for a while and loved the Sooners. Lived near Austin and loved the Longhorns, then moved to W TX and rooted for the Red Raiders. THEN my daughter and granddaughters moved to FL (Tallahassee) and go to FSU so, you guessed it, I root for the Seminoles as well.

SoonerLT
09-23-2020, 04:22 PM
Ok. I can appreciate that!

Gegrad
09-23-2020, 04:24 PM
Good looking truck and setup. Enjoy your first trip!

Northofu1
09-23-2020, 04:42 PM
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad I got the 2019, not digging the new look of the 1/2 tons, or the new HD's, The front end is massive, why?

Snoking
09-23-2020, 04:59 PM
First of all, I must echo all the comments from members regarding how valuable this forum has been for me.

Upgraded my 1500 CC Z71 last night to a Sierra 2500HD Diesel for our 2021 Outback 291UBH. Couldn’t be happier with the decision. It was clear to me it was the right truck for this 1/2 ton trailer after the first tow.

Let me just say, however, that you can pull a 1/2 to trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. It is possible but you just have to manage the numbers and setup properly and know you are on the edge of the envelope for what these trucks can do. But as they say in aviation, there’s not a lot of use for runway behind you or air above you. The extra runway makes all the difference (not to mention I’m not dreading the climbs).

That said, a quick shout at to the 1 tonners. Yes, a 3500 and/or gasser gives me plenty of cargo capacity for not much more $. I get it, but this will be more than enough for the TT while the kids are at home and any FW will be for me and the DW with limited cargo in the truck.

That said a few pics and some specs:

WDH is Equalizer E2 10K, 6 washers
Uncoupled FW: 40 1/8
Uncoupled RW: 41 3/4

Coupled FW: 40 3/8
Coupled RW: 40 1/4

Coupled WDH FW: 40 1/8
Coupled WDH RW: 41

Overall feels pretty good, though I may try adding a washer to help with loading the bars.

Off to the scales for a reweigh.

Appreciate all of the advise, wisdom and banter on here. Really helps build confidence, but, most importantly, keeps everyone safe!

Safe Travels.

Your new setup defies gravity in many ways!

sourdough
09-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad I got the 2019, not digging the new look of the 1/2 tons, or the new HD's, The front end is massive, why?

It may be just me but my neighbor and I were discussing that very thing a few days ago. Does it look like they are trying very hard to copy the Ford HD looks (maybe a few years back) with a few little "looks" to make them a tiny bit different?? Just what we were thinking.

SoonerLT
09-23-2020, 08:48 PM
It may be just me but my neighbor and I were discussing that very thing a few days ago. Does it look like they are trying very hard to copy the Ford HD looks (maybe a few years back) with a few little "looks" to make them a tiny bit different?? Just what we were thinking.
This was the first thing the DW said when she saw it. At 5’9” couldn’t see the engine when the sales guy popped the hood. Asked if it came with a step stool. ��