PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, etc

gearhead
09-21-2020, 03:05 PM
This year we spent all of August in Vallecito Colorado. I had altitude sickness so bad I took TWO Covid tests.
So we're looking for somewhere sorta cool next July. Thinking maybe upper midwest. I've looked until I'm sick of looking for a campground. I think I've found one and then realize they don't have water hookups or sewer.
I want some shade, some elbow room, 50amp, on a lake, fishing.
Would be cool if there was boat & motor rental.
Any help appreciated.

roadglide
09-21-2020, 03:22 PM
We spent a week in Durango over the fourth nice weather and elevation near 12000 feet riding highway 550. There a lot of state parks but they where full reserve early for the med west . I visited nautilus Jim in Wisconsin. The Park he is at is his very nice and right on the water you might my p.m. Jim and Brinda

NH_Bulldog
09-21-2020, 03:36 PM
We spend a few weeks each year in the U.P. of Michigan. This year we stayed at the City of Houghton RV Park. There are only 25 sites, each is paved, and can accommodate even the largest of RV’s. No tents or pop-ups allowed. Each site has water, sewer, electric and cable, fire ring, 10x20 deck, half with a roof covering and a bench. Some sites right on the Portage Canal of Lake Superior and great fishing. Really nice place, close to everything, yet a few minutes from wilderness.

Javi
09-21-2020, 03:40 PM
This year we spent all of August in Vallecito Colorado. I had altitude sickness so bad I took TWO Covid tests.
So we're looking for somewhere sorta cool next July. Thinking maybe upper midwest. I've looked until I'm sick of looking for a campground. I think I've found one and then realize they don't have water hookups or sewer.
I want some shade, some elbow room, 50amp, on a lake, fishing.
Would be cool if there was boat & motor rental.
Any help appreciated.

I spent several great fishing trips up in Wisconsin and Minnesota back in the day, loved the shore lunches. But I doubt folks like us is all that welcome in that part of the country nowadays..

sourdough
09-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Brent all these years in the low country has had an effect on you. My mom never spent any time in the mountains at altitude then we bought our house at 9k feet. She came up one time. She spent the short time they were there laying in the guest house because she had altitude sickness. She was miserable and we were miserable for her. My MIL had the same problem. Sorry to hear it.

I have not been to any of the states you mention but they are on my list. We do have several friends from the U.P. of Michigan and they LOVE it there...but they come to FL for the winters and I don't blame them. They send us pictures of some of the most beautiful flower gardens and scenery. I don't know about the other places but for us that would be the first place I would go. John on the forum lives up there I believe and might have some insight for you. He is also from down around your area. If he can guide you in the right direction be sure and take him some meat pies from Natchitoches!

Edit: looking at a map you might be able to shoot straight up and miss some of the problematic areas Javi was referring to...I hope. One of the reasons we've put Maine off our list for a good while.

gearhead
09-21-2020, 04:25 PM
I spent several great fishing trips up in Wisconsin and Minnesota back in the day, loved the shore lunches. But I doubt folks like us is all that welcome in that part of the country nowadays..
Yeah I don't want to be anywhere close to Minneapolis or Madison or Kenosha Wisconsin. I actually ain't too cool with spending my money in Colorado either. Maybe I'm destined for Utah, or...........Costa Rica.

Javi
09-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Yeah I don't want to be anywhere close to Minneapolis or Madison or Kenosha Wisconsin. I actually ain't too cool with spending my money in Colorado either. Maybe I'm destined for Utah, or...........Costa Rica. The Dakota's maybe.. We're thinking about a trip up that away next year..

sourdough
09-21-2020, 04:37 PM
Yeah I don't want to be anywhere close to Minneapolis or Madison or Kenosha Wisconsin. I actually ain't too cool with spending my money in Colorado either. Maybe I'm destined for Utah, or...........Costa Rica.

Costa Rica!!!? Yikes! Talk about a fish out of water (me too)! Kids went there several years back and rented a nice villa. Called and was telling me about the showers there; they were called "suicide" showers. Never heard of it so looked it up. Don't recall all the details but they used 120vac in some sort of crazy fashion to heat the hot water that could result in you getting cooked. Thought it was too much for us to ever want to check out.

mbi777
09-21-2020, 04:39 PM
We are currently up in Baudette Minnesota at Lake of the Woods Campground ( lakeofthewoodscampground.com )on our second week here. Some of the best fishing I have ever had right off the dock here, which is on the Rainy River that empties into Lake of the Woods. Numerous walleyes, Sauger, Perch, Crappie, etc. If you like to fish this is the place. Boat rentals just a few miles down the road. Oh, just noticed they will be renting out a 22 foot pontoon starting spring next year. Full hookups, shade trees and plenty of room. Can send you some pics if you want to pm me.

gearhead
09-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Brent all these years in the low country has had an effect on you. My mom never spent any time in the mountains at altitude then we bought our house at 9k feet. She came up one time. She spent the short time they were there laying in the guest house because she had altitude sickness. She was miserable and we were miserable for her. My MIL had the same problem. Sorry to hear it.

I have not been to any of the states you mention but they are on my list. We do have several friends from the U.P. of Michigan and they LOVE it there...but they come to FL for the winters and I don't blame them. They send us pictures of some of the most beautiful flower gardens and scenery. I don't know about the other places but for us that would be the first place I would go. John on the forum lives up there I believe and might have some insight for you. He is also from down around your area. If he can guide you in the right direction be sure and take him some meat pies from Natchitoches!

Edit: looking at a map you might be able to shoot straight up and miss some of the problematic areas Javi was referring to...I hope. One of the reasons we've put Maine off our list for a good while.

The irony is that I used to go hunting in Colorado almost every year from the late 1970's into the 1990"s. Camping right at 9,000 ft. elevation. Altitude bothered me just a little only the first year.
We have acquaintances here in little Liberty that summer in Maine. I got the distinct impression that it's a blue state in all ways.
I'll take John some meat pies in exchange for some of those pasties.
Yep, straight up I-35.

gearhead
09-21-2020, 05:00 PM
We are currently up in Baudette Minnesota at Lake of the Woods Campground ( lakeofthewoodscampground.com )on our second week here. Some of the best fishing I have ever had right off the dock here, which is on the Rainy River that empties into Lake of the Woods. Numerous walleyes, Sauger, Perch, Crappie, etc. If you like to fish this is the place. Boat rentals just a few miles down the road. Oh, just noticed they will be renting out a 22 foot pontoon starting spring next year. Full hookups, shade trees and plenty of room. Can send you some pics if you want to pm me.

That actually looks pretty good. Not too crowded? Looks a bit snug on google satellite.

77cruiser
09-21-2020, 05:23 PM
New place here just opened last year, on Rainy Lake.

https://rainylakerv.com/

gearhead
09-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Costa Rica!!!? Yikes! Talk about a fish out of water (me too)! Kids went there several years back and rented a nice villa. Called and was telling me about the showers there; they were called "suicide" showers. Never heard of it so looked it up. Don't recall all the details but they used 120vac in some sort of crazy fashion to heat the hot water that could result in you getting cooked. Thought it was too much for us to ever want to check out.
LOL
But they have tarpon. Lots of them!!

gearhead
09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
The Dakota's maybe.. We're thinking about a trip up that away next year..
Interesting thought. More digging for me.

JRTJH
09-21-2020, 05:46 PM
We spent July and August in the Dakotas last year and the year before. Daytime temps regularly in the high 90's or 100's... The only weather difference between Houston and Grand Forks is the humidity... And, when they're irrigating the corn/wheat, the humidity in Houston is lower than the fields.... May/June is good in the upper mid-west, but July/August ???? :eek:

gearhead
09-21-2020, 06:09 PM
We spend a few weeks each year in the U.P. of Michigan. This year we stayed at the City of Houghton RV Park. There are only 25 sites, each is paved, and can accommodate even the largest of RV’s. No tents or pop-ups allowed. Each site has water, sewer, electric and cable, fire ring, 10x20 deck, half with a roof covering and a bench. Some sites right on the Portage Canal of Lake Superior and great fishing. Really nice place, close to everything, yet a few minutes from wilderness.
That looks very nice. I'll probably call them. Don't be telling folks!

gearhead
09-21-2020, 06:56 PM
We spent July and August in the Dakotas last year and the year before. Daytime temps regularly in the high 90's or 100's... The only weather difference between Houston and Grand Forks is the humidity... And, when they're irrigating the corn/wheat, the humidity in Houston is lower than the fields.... May/June is good in the upper mid-west, but July/August ???? :eek:
Late May and early June is still bearable around here, and good fishing.
I'm thinking maybe a couple weeks at one spot and move to another. August didn't work too well for Betty anyway. Too much DAR work stacked up when we got back. We could do our "heat escape" trip in July and me and the Bigfoot could find some midget and sprint car races in the Midwest in August. What I'm thinking tonight anyway.

mbi777
09-21-2020, 07:15 PM
That actually looks pretty good. Not too crowded? Looks a bit snug on google satellite.
Lots of seasonal types here in specific areas. Us and just a few other campers here now. Don’t know what it would be like in mid summer though.

notanlines
09-22-2020, 03:06 AM
PM me if you like and I can put you on to maybe three or four parks like you described. Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan are all good, cool choices.
Yes, Jerry and Debra did spend close to a week here in Chetek (chain of lakes area). A fine time was had by all.
Chetek area offers alot. Dirt track racing nearby, loads of fishing, and more bars than churches, although plenty of both. (Reverend Roberts I hope you didn’t read that part)

gearhead
09-22-2020, 09:03 AM
PM me if you like and I can put you on to maybe three or four parks like you described. Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan are all good, cool choices.
Yes, Jerry and Debra did spend close to a week here in Chetek (chain of lakes area). A fine time was had by all.
Chetek area offers alot. Dirt track racing nearby, loads of fishing, and more bars than churches, although plenty of both. (Reverend Roberts I hope you didn’t read that part)

PM sent...

Roscommon48
09-22-2020, 05:24 PM
where the heck do you want to go?????
Michigan? where.
lots of places out here, just tell us and we'll let you know.

labman
09-23-2020, 05:05 AM
They are building more!

https://www.hometownsource.com/morrison_county_record/hardy-brothers-open-new-rv-resort-in-motley/article_bcc21fc6-f937-11ea-93ea-d31bf54c685c.html

flybouy
09-23-2020, 06:33 AM
They are building more!

https://www.hometownsource.com/morrison_county_record/hardy-brothers-open-new-rv-resort-in-motley/article_bcc21fc6-f937-11ea-93ea-d31bf54c685c.html

So does that mean the Hardy Brothers are a "Motley crew"? Jeez I crack myself up!:lol:

rsthomis
09-27-2020, 01:16 PM
One thing to consider in the upper Midwest is the mosquitoes! We have spent sever summers in MN, WI, and the UP of Michigan, and the skeeters about carry me off. They don't bother my husband at all, but particularly in the UP I have told him I won't go back because I almost get ill from all the bites. If you can get out on the lake, you're safe, but when you have to put on a jacket, socks and shoes, a hat, gloves, and a head net just to run to the truck for something, I'm not interested. Good luck!

sourdough
09-27-2020, 03:03 PM
One thing to consider in the upper Midwest is the mosquitoes! We have spent sever summers in MN, WI, and the UP of Michigan, and the skeeters about carry me off. They don't bother my husband at all, but particularly in the UP I have told him I won't go back because I almost get ill from all the bites. If you can get out on the lake, you're safe, but when you have to put on a jacket, socks and shoes, a hat, gloves, and a head net just to run to the truck for something, I'm not interested. Good luck!

Not been to that area....yet, but we do go to FL all the time and mosquitoes can be a problem; no see ums are much worse IMO, then the yellow biting flies...:nonono: I've found a good dousing of 99% DEET works wonders and eliminates the need for all the other "cover ups". I brought my SIL a bottle to spray on, he looked the bottle over and said "99% DEET!!!, you'll KILL yourself." Poor guy....but he's that way. DEET is harmless and effective. Used at appropriate times it can replace the smell of cologne or aftershave....:lol:

NH_Bulldog
09-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Last year we did our annual 3 week UP trip in mid June through early July and the mosquitos were insane. Earlier and it would be black flies. This year we did our trip from mid July through early August and don’t recall a single mosquito in our travels. Maybe because last year was so wet and this year was dry? No idea, but like anything else, YMMV

gearhead
09-27-2020, 03:37 PM
They are building more!

Sounds OK but it's not on a lake big enough to rent a boat and go anywhere.

Grand Haven
09-28-2020, 08:46 AM
We enjoy the City Of Houghton RV park each year for a week.
Numerous waterfalls and the Porcupine Mountains are within a hours drive, and of course head north across the nearby bridge to enter the awesome Keweenaw Peninsula full of wilderness, waterfalls and Copper mining historical sites.

JRTJH
09-28-2020, 01:08 PM
The "allure of the UP" (at least for me) is the simple fact that, for the most part, it's an "unspoiled wilderness"... Granted, there are about 5 or 6 somewhat large towns (not cities) with most of the amenities found in most US cities, but tow a mile from town and you're "back in the wilderness again"... I don't know of any "luxury RV resorts" in the UP, it's typically too cold most of the year for "full hookup sites" (when the ground freezes 6' deep, it's tough to run sewer lines throughout a campground where nobody is camping because it's too cold for their trailer)....

Most of the "5 or 6 towns" have what's called a "Tourist Park" which is a city funded campground with electricity and water to most sites. Marquette, Houghton and Munising have full hookups in parts of their "tourist park". But, forget most of the amenities found in places like Acadiana RV Resort, Cajun RVera, Ponchartrain Landing or similar places where there is a "year round camping season". It's hard to make a sizeable investment in "luxury camping" when the season is 5-6 months long and the sites sit empty the rest of the year.

So, if you're looking for "remote, out of the way camping" where you're not crowded in a "formal state forest campground" or if a "typical campground with full hookups, close to places of interest", then the UP camping experience can be rewarding... On the other hand, if you're looking for a "large, luxury campsite where you have "stretching room away from neighbors and full hookups with cable, internet, access to boat rentals, bike trails, walking trails and "pizza delivery"... Chances are slim that you'll find "that perfect spot to spend a cool summer" anywhere in the UP.

On the other hand, if you want to walk in "unspoiled forests" find a quiet spot to boondock where you won't find another human or hear a siren, then the UP might be "just what you're looking for".... You might be awakened at 3AM by coons scratching on the mat under your awning or by a bear turning over the cooler, but neither of them will be rummaging through that pizza box delivered to your trailer....

Grand Haven
09-28-2020, 01:46 PM
Another UP Michigan gem is the new City of Manistique Lakeshore Campground, full hookup with cable TV and WiFi. Beautiful spot right on the Shores of Northern
Lake Michigan.

lindy46
09-29-2020, 05:22 AM
The northern part of the lower peninsula is beautiful in July. We especially love the Traverse City area. Lots of lakes, beautiful views of Grand Traverse Bay and to the west the town of Empire and Sleeping Bear Dunes. Indigo Bluffs RV park is very nice and close to the Dunes. Back closer to Traverse city is Interlochen and the Interlochen Arts Academy, a summer camp for gifted students from all over the world. At Interlochen there are many open air concerts all summer long. Check their website. We've seen the Beach Boys, Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion) and many free concerts put on by the students there. There is a State Park right across the street on Duck Lake and Interlochen is right on Green Lake. A beautiful wooded setting.

CoachJohn
09-29-2020, 05:50 AM
We just spent 3 weeks in the Dakota's , came home to Detroit through Bemedji, MN...Hayward,WI and Michigan's U.P., simply a Beautiful trip!!!! We highly recommend it, but take your time, there's so much to see!!!

notanlines
09-29-2020, 07:29 AM
Coach John, back during the big logging boom of late 1800’s/early 1900’s it was said that the three ‘hottest’ places on earth were Hayward, Hurley and Hell. Those logging camps were probably pretty bawdry places to be!

KarenK
10-04-2020, 10:27 AM
Last year we did our annual 3 week UP trip in mid June through early July and the mosquitos were insane. Earlier and it would be black flies. This year we did our trip from mid July through early August and don’t recall a single mosquito in our travels. Maybe because last year was so wet and this year was dry? No idea, but like anything else, YMMV
We have a MI UP cabin in the woods by the pictured rocks national forest. Mosquitoes are horrible till about mid July. We cleared around the cabin, planted grass and fog on occasion. A fan on the porch helps too and of course good bug spray. Grand Marais has a nice city park but sites are probably more tight than you'd like, mostly water and power. Many more rustic places along the shoreline going west to Munising, too tight for big rigs but a slice of God's country for sure. The original cabin my husband's family had up there was part of Camp 33, a logging camp from the days when timber was slid down the log slide on Lake Superiors shore. Camp 33 is still listed on some maps.

Northofu1
10-04-2020, 10:44 AM
I know it's a Cohen brothers movie and TV show, But, I don't know if I would want to travel through Bemidji, Duluth, or Fargo. :lol:

77cruiser
10-04-2020, 02:17 PM
I know it's a Cohen brothers movie and TV show, But, I don't know if I would want to travel through Bemidji, Duluth, or Fargo. :lol:
Yup pretty rough.

locomech
10-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Have you considered Door County, Wisconsin? I think it has everything your looking for. Door County is the peninsula that sits between Green Bay and Lake Michigan. Since you like to fish you'd be right in the middle of some good great lakes fishing. There are two State Parks near the tip of the peninsula for hiking or camping. We visit Door County every year and the campground we stay at near Ellison Bay has full hookups and shade. If you're into scuba Gills Rock is the place to go for some excellent wreck diving, or you can take a ferry boat ride to Washington Island. If you do decide on Door County don't miss the fish boil at the "Old Post Office" in Ephraim, call for a reservation. July is cherry picking time and Door County is known for everything made from cherries. There are plenty of activities and night life up and down the peninsula. One of my favorite spots to visit is the winery, brewery, and distillery in Jacksonport. You can sample everything in one building. We prefer the Green Bay side as opposed to the Lake Michigan side but one can drive to one or the other in less than a half hour. Check it out on the web and good luck wherever you choose to go.

gearhead
10-10-2020, 05:18 AM
I searched so intensely I need to take a break from it. We have a good friend from Wisconsin who says we need to stay in the St. Croix River area. Some kind of designated scenic area. I've looked there and see a couple possibilities. But, the bugs may be a deal breaker. Another good friend from Minnesota said we will have to take a lot of OFF with us. So, I'm rethinking it. Maybe do the N. Carolina mountain area that we have driven through but not stayed any amount of time. Couple weeks here, then a couple somewhere else.
Been busy times since my first post. Sick grandkids, farm work, life.