PDA

View Full Version : Do I have Enough Truck. A rant

linux3
09-20-2020, 08:25 AM
Do I have enough truck.
Pretty tired of reading these posts.
If you have to weigh the TT and listen to the RV sales person you don't.
4 times I have crossed over and back through the Cumberland Gap and more times than not I have been behind a TV that just doesn't make it.
I love my Silverado 1500 but I'm pulling a 4.5K TT.
If you want a TT that is over 6~ 7K buy a 2500 / 250.
My light weight grocery getter is good for under 6K lbsd.
F150 / 1500 is a light weight truck!
My wife and I are thinking about a GD 240RL (Sorry about Keystone people).
Their website says 1/2 ton towable but... If we upgrade it will be also to a 2500HD.

ewbldavis
09-24-2020, 07:50 AM
This is a fair statement.

You should at least have an idea before you pull trigger...while brochure information isn't exact, it should get you in the ballpark. Empty weight, GVWR, and hitch/pin weight in brochure should at least tell you if you are close...and if you're so close that you need to weight it before you buy it, you're too close.

I weighed mine once after the fact just to know I know. Never would have purchased if I didn't at least know I was "well" within limits on pin weight and GVWR vs. Tow capacity.

sourdough
09-24-2020, 08:11 AM
Do I have enough truck.
4 times I have crossed over and back through the Cumberland Gap and more times than not I have been behind a TV that just doesn't make it.
Their website says 1/2 ton towable but... If we upgrade it will be also to a 2500HD.

Hey Rob, you realize that GD was started by 3 ex Keystone execs and built around the Keystone models. The Reflection 1/2 ton is a mirror of the Cougar 1/2 ton, the regular Reflection a mirror of the Cougar etc., but with about a 10k premium and a whole lot fewer dealers. We just went through that. Good luck on your choice but keep that in mind - and you can still hang out here if you make the switch. :D

travelin texans
09-24-2020, 08:25 AM
And if you're spending the $$ for 2500 anyway just go straight to the 3500, very little difference in price, ride, or mileage & looks exactly the same but a good increase in payload, may save you another TV swap when you upgrade after the GD.

Alpine
09-24-2020, 09:23 AM
The majority of folks that ask "Do I have enough truck".... already know.... they don't!!!

flybouy
09-24-2020, 09:35 AM
I agree that I believe many who ask already know the answer. I have encountered many folks in my lifetime that "ask when they already know" and do it for various reasons. Most often it's so they can point blame for their actions, typically an action taken BEFORE they asked the question.

linux3
09-24-2020, 09:56 AM
Hey Rob, you realize that GD was started by 3 ex Keystone execs and built around the Keystone models. The Reflection 1/2 ton is a mirror of the Cougar 1/2 ton, the regular Reflection a mirror of the Cougar etc., but with about a 10k premium and a whole lot fewer dealers. We just went through that. Good luck on your choice but keep that in mind - and you can still hang out here if you make the switch. :D
I didn't know that. Thanks.

But, all this is still in the discussion stage.

travelin texans
09-24-2020, 11:03 AM

And in that discussion should be a TV upgrade, a 1/2 ton towable fifth wheel is a myth, actually a sales gimmick that gets lots of folks in trouble with weights.

flybouy
09-24-2020, 11:28 AM
1. "This won't hurt" , or "You'll feel a little discomfort" - Dentist or doctor
2. "This only a temporary tax", along with anything else said by a politician
3. "Guaranteed for life"
4. "This product will save you money"
5." Your truck can pull anything on the lot" and anything else the RV salesman says
6. "Half ton towable" by any RV company
7. "Polar pkg, 4 season insulated, etc." By any RV company
8. "Deep cycle battery with a CCA rating" by any battery manufacturer
9. "I only drank 2 beers officer" by every drunk
10. "It was on sale honey" by every wife
11. "I was working late honey" by every husband

All of the above said in jest, except lines 1-9.:popcorn:

amsoiltek
09-24-2020, 11:52 AM
So the only difference between an SRW 2500 and 3500 on the Chevy line is one more leaf spring. I just went compared all the part numbers.

I laugh every time when someone says the 3500 has more power than a 2500, this is true if you compare it to an earlier model.

If you are really concerned about having enough truck look at the MDT or HDT Class 6 on up to class 8. many times you can buy a really good used class 8 for far less than a 3500 or 4500 new and still have many miles of life left, plus they have a better turning radius.

Good thread, keep them coming.

travelin texans
09-24-2020, 02:32 PM
So the only difference between an SRW 2500 and 3500 on the Chevy line is one more leaf spring. I just went compared all the part numbers.

I laugh every time when someone says the 3500 has more power than a 2500, this is true if you compare it to an earlier model.

If you are really concerned about having enough truck look at the MDT or HDT Class 6 on up to class 8. many times you can buy a really good used class 8 for far less than a 3500 or 4500 new and still have many miles of life left, plus they have a better turning radius.

Don't recall anyone mentioning a 3500 has more power than a 2500, but there's quite a bit of difference between the 2 in payload, unlike the differences between 1500s & 2500s where there's not so much.
Now if you're talking gas & diesel, then yes, considerable power difference.

Bill-2020
09-24-2020, 06:22 PM
Do I have enough truck.

don't read them...:D

chuckster57
09-24-2020, 06:40 PM

And GD was bought by Winnebago.

Bill-2020
09-24-2020, 06:49 PM
And GD was bought by Winnebago.

Cha-Ching!

Rocketsled
09-24-2020, 07:33 PM

Close...I believe Wheels and Tires are different, too. Same engine, tranny, cooling, brakes and stereo.

dutchmensport
09-25-2020, 05:28 AM
Them: "Do I have enough truck?"
Me: "No"
Them: "What! What do you mean 'No'! You don't know what you are talking about. You're an idiot!"
Me: "You asked, I'm just sharing from my own experiences and knowledge."
Them: "Your opinion doesn't matter. Your off your rocker!"
Me: "OK."
2 months later:
Them: "Will air bags improve the performance of my truck? Will new tires help the performance of my truck? Will boosting the engine somehow improve the performance of my truck? How do I remove some of the weight from the overall payload of my truck when towing? How do I get rid of trailer sway? Why is my fuel mileage so horrible? Why do I need a new transmission?"

or:

Me: "I don't know, what do you think?"
Them: "Thanks, I'm good."

It doesn't matter how you answer, "They" already have their minds made up and no matter what you say, won't change them. They are looking for validation for their decision they have already made, and when they don't get it, they get angry at you. It isn't until they, themselves, experience costly and disappointing tow vehicle failure they will finally realize what they were warned about.

flybouy
09-25-2020, 05:45 AM
Close...I believe Wheels and Tires are different, too. Same engine, tranny, cooling, brakes and stereo.

Well obviously if it has the same radio it must have the same towing capability. :whistling:

flybouy
09-25-2020, 05:49 AM
"It doesn't matter how you answer, "They" already have their minds made up and no matter what you say, won't change them. They are looking for validation for their decision they have already made, and when they don't get it, they get angry at you. It isn't until they, themselves, experience costly and disappointing tow vehicle failure they will finally realize what they were warned about."

I agree with everything but the above statement. That's when they will complain that the truck was a POS lemon because the tranny was constantly burning up. I mean, obviously, it couldn't have their fualt for overloading it.:ermm:

Rocketsled
09-25-2020, 05:56 AM
Well obviously if it has the same radio it must have the same towing capability. :whistling:

"I say, well I say, that's the joke, Son!" - Foghorn Leghorn

Rocketsled
09-25-2020, 06:05 AM
It doesn't matter how you answer, "They" already have their minds made up and no matter what you say, won't change them. They are looking for validation for their decision they have already made, and when they don't get it, they get angry at you. It isn't until they, themselves, experience costly and disappointing tow vehicle failure they will finally realize what they were warned about.

Feels like my ears are burning. I opened one of these topics a day or so ago...In my case, everything was in spec except the payload sticker and I was over...by a little.

And there wasn't much more to say. I'm playing with the weights and balances, but a 1-ton just isn't in the cards at the time, so it's make the 3/4 ton work or stop camping. :D

flybouy
09-25-2020, 06:16 AM

Soitenly! As was my post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5j8Jioan1w

GMcKenzie
09-25-2020, 06:35 AM

I'm not even sure the wheels and tires are different between a GM 2500 and 3500. I think it is just the spring. Up here (BC, Canada) price difference is ~$800 for the added capacity, but the 2500 has an extra 3% sales tax, so you save easily double that by going to a 3500.

Got informed of this by a sales guy with a 2500 on his lot that he says should have never been ordered in. I do know it's been sitting a while. If it was gas and crew cab, I might have low balled him.

ewbldavis
09-25-2020, 07:44 AM
1. "This won't hurt" , or "You'll feel a little discomfort" - Dentist or doctor
2. "This only a temporary tax", along with anything else said by a politician
3. "Guaranteed for life"
4. "This product will save you money"
5." Your truck can pull anything on the lot" and anything else the RV salesman says
6. "Half ton towable" by any RV company
7. "Polar pkg, 4 season insulated, etc." By any RV company
8. "Deep cycle battery with a CCA rating" by any battery manufacturer
9. "I only drank 2 beers occifer" by every drunk:D
10. "It was on sale honey" by every wife
11. "I was working late honey" by every husband

All of the above said in jest, except lines 1-9.:popcorn:

there - I fixed it...lol

travelin texans
09-25-2020, 08:14 AM

Wow! You're dating yourself with that quote!
For the younger crowd that was from a great cartoon character from the old days before they became too violent for kids to watch, but no one got hurt.
Yet now all the cartoons & games the winner is the people that have killed everyone else, killing dead people?, destroyed everything in sight & has some smart a## remark to say about it.
Sorry for the rant!
Back to our regularly scheduled discussion!!!

tech740
09-25-2020, 08:40 AM
Wow! You're dating yourself with that quote!
For the younger crowd that was from a great cartoon character from the old days before they became too violent for kids to watch, but no one got hurt.
Yet now all the cartoons & games the winner is the people that have killed everyone else, killing dead people?, destroyed everything in sight & has some smart a## remark to say about it.
Sorry for the rant!
Back to our regularly scheduled discussion!!!

Ouch! I remember foghorn. I am only 36. I used to think I was in the younger crowd.

flybouy
09-25-2020, 09:27 AM
Ouch! I remember foghorn. I am only 36. I used to think I was in the younger crowd.

Thank heavens for reruns!

Gegrad
09-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Ya'll think our forum gets wild? I am in a group called "Travel Trailer Camping" on facebook. Lots of good posts about what kind of EMS to buy, or discussions of various cooking utensils, or places to stay...

About half the posts are people showing their 1/2 ton connected (squatting badly) to a 35 footer with 4 bikes and 2 kayaks in the bed and the post says "My trailer only weighs 8000 lbs and my truck is rated for 10,500, so I know I am good there. Should I add air bags? Or do I need to adjust my hitch?" and over half the comments are supportive of that disaster. And when someone like us tries to comment I will occasionally get ridiculed with "Here comes the 1 ton dully police". There is a reason I have that group muted and only check in once a week to read about the other items I mentioned.

The most egregious was this post of someone with about a 10 year old Grand Caravan asking about a WDH so they could tow a 4500 lb dry Coachmen. They stated "The Caravan is rated for 4500 lbs and we do drive a separate vehicle with all the family and gear in it, so we only tow the trailer empty and we only go 150 miles at a time". Then I got attacked in the comments.... :facepalm::facepalm:

tech740
09-25-2020, 01:13 PM
Thank heavens for reruns!

Wow!! I had to look it up. I had no idea it only aired from 46-64. My dad was born in 1964.

wiredgeorge
09-25-2020, 02:00 PM
Well, since all the stupid comments have been made already in this thread, well, I won't add another. Just spent the week camping and playing golf and spoiling a couple little ankle biters the missus loves more than me.

KimNTerry
09-25-2020, 02:30 PM
My dad was born in 1964.
So was I

Thanks

notanlines
09-25-2020, 02:46 PM
Surely room for a little more frivolity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKJ4klvtJYY&list=PLEykDnSGBMtRypjG9cDrKDKYLBXdHsg86
Now who didn't like Foghorn Leghorn cartoons? When there actually WERE cartoons as Danny brought up.

Stickman
09-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Me: "No"
Them: "What! What do you mean 'No'! You don't know what you are talking about. You're an idiot!"
Me: "You asked, I'm just sharing from my own experiences and knowledge."
Them: "Your opinion doesn't matter. Your off your rocker!"
Me: "OK."
2 months later:
Them: "Will air bags improve the performance of my truck? Will new tires help the performance of my truck? Will boosting the engine somehow improve the performance of my truck? How do I remove some of the weight from the overall payload of my truck when towing? How do I get rid of trailer sway? Why is my fuel mileage so horrible? Why do I need a new transmission?"

or:

Me: "I don't know, what do you think?"
Them: "Thanks, I'm good."

:bow::bow::bow::bow:
TESTIFY Brother!!!!!! Can I get an AMEN!
Recently on the commute home a recent vintage F150 Eco-Boost blew by me doing 75 plus hauling a " half ton towable" Cougar 5ver. The V6 was howling like a hooker on nickel night, the tops of the rear tires were barely visible in the wheel wells, and the front wheels were in a death wobble over every ripple and expansion joint. Was his TV pulling the load? Certainly. Was he towing within the safe capabilities of the TV? Not even remotely in the most far flung alternate reality imaginable. The kicker? Kids bikes hanging on the back of the 5ver. Grrrrrrrrrr!
I can visualize this caring(cough) father having those conversations.

Schmackpappy
09-27-2020, 07:47 AM
Do I have enough truck.

And this kind of post will turn people away from coming here for help. You may have the experience to know this but many do not. When I first entered the RV world I got nabbed by the sales pitch and towed a hybrid with a minivan. I had no idea about payload and the salesman took advantage of that. I took him at his word. It only took a couple of tows to realize how unsafe it was so I upgraded to a F150. We then upgraded to a bigger TT and with it a 2500 HD. I get it now but didn't then. People don't know what they don't know so help them out.

Paulyd99
09-27-2020, 07:57 AM
I have a friend who just posted their new TT on FB. A 33foot rig with a 7500lb dry weight. His TV?.... a 2019 Chevy Colorado!! How can any dealer allow someone to drive that thing off the lot? He is brand new to camping and obviously didn’t do any research, which is on him. But surely there has to be some kind of conscience on the dealers. Right?

JimSchwenk
09-27-2020, 08:07 AM
Do I have enough truck.

I knew I'd need something more reliable because I moved from PA to GA and was due to make multiple trips with the cargo trailer and ultimately the TT.
So, I swapped my broken-every-month '04 2500 HD gasser for a used 2013 2500HD Duramax. At 90,000 miles I figure it's got a few good trips left in it.
Fast forward a month, made the last trip a week ago, it was time to bring my Keystone 26RB out of the campground and back to the new house.
Going over the hills between Asheville NC and Johnson City TN on I 26 was SO nice with the diesel. Chug-chug-chug, cruise control on 62, pulling around 8500 pounds, purring like a kitten. Why did I wait so many years to make the switch
BTW, I bought the 2500 because the nice GMC 3500 crew cab they had on the lot was gone when I finally went to the dealership. It's a plain-Jane standard-cab pickup, but the cruise-air-and XM radio are all I need for now.

flybouy
09-27-2020, 08:18 AM
And this kind of post will turn people away from coming here for help. You may have the experience to know this but many do not. When I first entered the RV world I got nabbed by the sales pitch and towed a hybrid with a minivan. I had no idea about payload and the salesman took advantage of that. I took him at his word. It only took a couple of tows to realize how unsafe it was so I upgraded to a F150. We then upgraded to a bigger TT and with it a 2500 HD. I get it now but didn't then. People don't know what they don't know so help them out.

Can you explain this statement? Should we not say anything and let people continue on in their ignorant bliss?

Larrystegall
09-27-2020, 08:23 AM
Just a thought, not all 2500's/250's are the same. Elephant under the hood is diesel vs gas, dramatic difference in payload. Crew cab vs regular, dramatic difference in payload. Work truck vs top of the line, dramatic difference in payload. Short be vs long bed, auxiliary fuel tank, O&O? You get the point.
And if you move straight to the 3500, the same conditions apply.

mjsibe
09-27-2020, 08:28 AM
As usual lol
Answer is go for the 3500 / F350
We have a 2014 Passport 3100rk
First TV was a 2500 HD Chevy Express work van.
It was fine but knowing I would retire the following year I got A 3500 Passenger van.
More than enough vehicle.
Scaled it once for a 7k mile trip
Came in around 13,500 combined
Truck is rated for 16k combined
Well with in the limit.
Having the cushion is safer than being at the limit
Trailer is 7400 max
Van is 9600 max with all the seats in
We travel with the one rear seat installed for the dog lol
Just get the bigger vehicle
Peace of mind & safer

blubuckaroo
09-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Just a thought, not all 2500's/250's are the same. Elephant under the hood is diesel vs gas, dramatic difference in payload. Crew cab vs regular, dramatic difference in payload. Work truck vs top of the line, dramatic difference in payload. Short be vs long bed, auxiliary fuel tank, O&O? You get the point.
And if you move straight to the 3500, the same conditions apply.

You're right there!
Recently there was a thread with a 3/4 ton with a very low payload capacity. The difference in capacity on that one and a 1/2 ton was less than the weight of two good sized passengers.
The chrome number on the truck's fender means little. It's the yellow sticker in the doorjamb that matters.

BeckyMax
09-27-2020, 09:58 AM
don't read them...:D

Exactly! It's pretty easy to just keep scrolling. I feel some people read and comment to the newbies just so they can show of how superior they are.

I read these forums frequently and I've learned allot, but we were all once newbies, and we all have made mistakes. Yes, we have relied on the salesperson and the brochures. Yes, we have hoped we made the right decision. But in the end, until it is home and in your driveway, you don't know what your own experience will be. Exception:. A dealership once let us take home a Silverado 1500 5.3L double cab. My husband test drove it and said he didn't think the cab was big enough but wife (me) says that anything with 4 doors would would. The salesman, thinking he just had to sell the wife told him to take it home for the night so wife can check it out. When I got home from work and saw how small the cab was, I immediately agreed it wouldn't work for us. We then proceeded to set up our hitch and our heavy Springdale and take it for a test tow. That also confirmed the 5.3L was not enough truck even though our plan was to upgrade to a lighter weight trailer. That was a rare opportunity and one in sure the dealer would not have allowed had he known.

I appreciate all the help found here. If you don't want to help, then why not just keep scrolling?

Becky

linux3
09-27-2020, 10:19 AM
The 3500 can tow and carry more. Sure but it costs more.
I want a doublecab and think Crewcabs look funny.
I want a 6.6L gas engine. OK, OK but diesel costs a LOT more in the Northeast.
I don't know how much longer we will be "Hitting the road" as I just celebrated my 50'th of my 21's birthday.
Whatever we buy will be my last RV so we need to be sure.
I'm a fan of less is more. I pay cash and owe nobody anything.

pdaniel
09-27-2020, 10:20 AM
In forty years of RV ownership, all towables and now a heavy 5th wheel only one sales critter asked what my TV was. He then looked at the towing chart. I asked why (I pretty much knew the answer). He said he didn’t want me coming back and laying the blame on the dealership for buying an RV and discover the TV did not have the capability. But, I knew the limits of my truck before shopping.
I too see the 150s, 1500s and 2500s struggling here in the mountain west pulling a rig that is way to much for that TV. But, I am not the weight or tow police, so, it is not my business.

travelin texans
09-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Exactly! It's pretty easy to just keep scrolling. I feel some people read and comment to the newbies just so they can show of how superior they are.

I read these forums frequently and I've learned allot, but we were all once newbies, and we all have made mistakes. Yes, we have relied on the salesperson and the brochures. Yes, we have hoped we made the right decision. But in the end, until it is home and in your driveway, you don't know what your own experience will be. Exception:. A dealership once let us take home a Silverado 1500 5.3L double cab. My husband test drove it and said he didn't think the cab was big enough but wife (me) says that anything with 4 doors would would. The salesman, thinking he just had to sell the wife told him to take it home for the night so wife can check it out. When I got home from work and saw how small the cab was, I immediately agreed it wouldn't work for us. We then proceeded to set up our hitch and our heavy Springdale and take it for a test tow. That also confirmed the 5.3L was not enough truck even though our plan was to upgrade to a lighter weight trailer. That was a rare opportunity and one in sure the dealer would not have allowed had he known.

I appreciate all the help found here. If you don't want to help, then why not just keep scrolling?

Becky

In forty years of RV ownership, all towables and now a heavy 5th wheel only one sales critter asked what my TV was. He then looked at the towing chart. I asked why (I pretty much knew the answer). He said he didn’t want me coming back and laying the blame on the dealership for buying an RV and discover the TV did not have the capability. But, I knew the limits of my truck before shopping.
I too see the 150s, 1500s and 2500s struggling here in the mountain west pulling a rig that is way to much for that TV. But, I am not the weight or tow police, so, it is not my business.

I have to disagree! It is all of our business! These folks towing unsafely are traveling the same highways as the rest of us that want to arrive safely also.
We can't rely on the rv/truck dealers to honestly inform these folks, so someone should.
There will always be a handful that will say I'm full of it & continue to tow whatever with whatever they have, but hopefully the information seed will have been planted in back of there minds & if enough people inform them they may possibly get it.

sourdough
09-27-2020, 11:18 AM

Becky

When a new member joins and flat out asks about towing, or if someone posts an obviously bad towing combination (which they probably have unknowingly) someone is usually going to point that out. It may be received well and it may not. It may be considered "acting superior", I don't know. I've not gotten that sense but I don't interpret for everyone else. I do know we have many members that have realized the numbers, checked them and then made changes in their towing situation to make themselves safer - THAT is the ultimate goal of the weight comments.

The issue, IMO, in the above situations is obligation. If a child, or someone new to towing, is about to do something that will endanger them and has no idea, it is my obligation to point it out. At that point with an adult you have done about all you can do unless they have additional questions/comments. Not done to feel superior but to keep someone, and their family, safe from a situation they may know nothing about. Towing an RV is not like pulling the lawn tractor around on a flat bed, there are lots of safety parameters to consider and it takes time and experience to gain those; preferably not through catastrophic failures.

LHaven
09-27-2020, 12:32 PM
And if you're spending the $$ for 2500 anyway just go straight to the 3500, very little difference in price, ride, or mileage & looks exactly the same but a good increase in payload, may save you another TV swap when you upgrade after the GD.

I really wanted to go that route, but DW refused to deal with diesel. :(

blubuckaroo
09-27-2020, 12:36 PM
If a child, or someone new to towing, is about to do something that will endanger them and has no idea, it is my obligation to point it out. At that point with an adult you have done about all you can do unless they have additional questions/comments.

I routinely see rigs traveling at excessive speed and changing lanes without signaling. Often in the forbidden lanes. Sometimes I wonder why states don't require special licensing for RVs. In my state many that tow don't know that the truck speed pertains to them.

I have an adult son who asked to borrow our rig. I had no problem with his idea, other than he had no experience towing whatsoever.
I agreed under the condition that he spend a few days, being the driver, on a road trip with me.
He learned to hitch up, back up, pull out, merge, and set up & break camp. I've got to say, I was impressed at his great attitude.

CaptnJohn
09-27-2020, 01:29 PM
I had a Plymouth Fury III that was safer pulling a 28’TT back then than many 1/2 ton trucks today. After a decade of no camper during daughters teen and college years I bout a new F150 and matched a TT perfectly. Less than a year and wifey says going farther so we bought a Cougar and matched an F250. Less than 2 years and wifey says stay longer so a bigger 5er needed, bought a new F350 to
Match. 2 years later wifey found THE perfect Montana and I bought a new F350 dually. What I learned is every new 5er wifey wants requires a new truck. I like new trucks so I’m glad she likes new 5ers.

wiredgeorge
09-27-2020, 02:57 PM
One lesson I have learned is to NEVER buy a new anything and the right used truck and camper will keep you from owing money to the bank. Would I like to devote all expendable income to trucks and campers? Not really. Buy the truck sized so you don't have to leapfrog to bigger and more capable and for goodness sake, buy a used camper to see what works and doesn't. You won't know thill you have been out quite a few times. No matter what camper you buy, you will find there are things that you would have done different and have to compromise on. The only ones you don't have to compromise are the 43' monsters with enough floor space for a semi-intelligent floorplan. Under 35', you are looking at compromises.

blubuckaroo
09-27-2020, 04:05 PM
One lesson I have learned is to NEVER buy a new anything and the right used truck and camper will keep you from owing money to the bank. Would I like to devote all expendable income to trucks and campers? Not really. .

I've got to agree with you!
Lessons I've learned...
If you use your trailer for fun, it's a toy. Don't ever take a loan out on a toy.
Also, you'll never truly enjoy a vehicle that you owe on.

Schmackpappy
09-27-2020, 04:35 PM
Can you explain this statement? Should we not say anything and let people continue on in their ignorant bliss?

No. You should educate them but ranting about how you are sick of these posts and basically calling them stupid isn't the way to do that.

sourdough
09-27-2020, 05:08 PM

Highlight above. I see, watch and sit by (in parks) those same rigs. I think you are correct in that another really has no business trying to coach or reprimand anyone pulling something that is obviously overweight "out there somewhere". If the matter is brought up in a conversation in that environment, I will, and have asked about weights but do not pursue unless there are questions. I asked our friend that winters beside us after he bought his new Big Horn and pulled it with a new 2500; he was good with the numbers even though very overweight....end of that conversation.

This forum is a different matter IMO. I belong to other forums, some for other, larger RVs. Those folks in general have been around and have towed for a while. The conversations are different. This forum really has lots of new owners/towers. Some don't know and ask, others don't know and don't ask...because they don't know to. They believed that brochure from the truck manufacturer and the RV salesman said "you're good", so they are on their way happy and ignorant - they don't want to be, just don't know that they are. That person isn't to blame for anything other than not knowing. At that point I personally feel it is incumbent on any knowledgeable person to at least let them know the situation. Not superior, not knocking them or anything else - I worry for them and what they may encounter with a truck full of family or kids. In a way it's not my business, but then again it is. The welfare of anyone in a dangerous situation IS my business...at least IMO.

blubuckaroo
09-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Highlight above. I see, watch and sit by (in parks) those same rigs. I think you are correct in that another really has no business trying to coach or reprimand anyone pulling something that is obviously overweight "out there somewhere". If the matter is brought up in a conversation in that environment, I will, and have asked about weights but do not pursue unless there are questions. I asked our friend that winters beside us after he bought his new Big Horn and pulled it with a new 2500; he was good with the numbers even though very overweight....end of that conversation.

This forum is a different matter IMO. I belong to other forums, some for other, larger RVs. Those folks in general have been around and have towed for a while. The conversations are different. This forum really has lots of new owners/towers. Some don't know and ask, others don't know and don't ask...because they don't know to. They believed that brochure from the truck manufacturer and the RV salesman said "you're good", so they are on their way happy and ignorant - they don't want to be, just don't know that they are. That person isn't to blame for anything other than not knowing. At that point I personally feel it is incumbent on any knowledgeable person to at least let them know the situation. Not superior, not knocking them or anything else - I worry for them and what they may encounter with a truck full of family or kids. In a way it's not my business, but then again it is. The welfare of anyone in a dangerous situation IS my business...at least IMO.

The problem I have with this is, even though I'm careful to meet the basic load rating requirements with my half ton pickup, I'm treated like an idiot. I have a medium size trailer. It meets all YOUR requirements.
I drive 3/4 ton pickups daily at work. I won't buy one. They ride like freight trains.
I've decided to reduce my load so I can enjoy the ride and mileage of a half ton.
Why do you guys continue to beat up folks that are following every letter of the same law you are preaching?

Rocketsled
09-27-2020, 06:26 PM
The problem with it is that it's not always obvious, or clear cut.

A guy in our group with a tiny Jayco has a 2019 Chevy 1500, it's payload is 1750lbs...Our 2017 2500HD with the massive Allison/Duramax wonderful combination has a payload of...1964 lbs.

Such an oddly weird number, and only 214 lbs more?! They're both double cabs and similarly kitted out.

LHaven
09-27-2020, 06:33 PM
The problem with it is that it's not always obvious, or clear cut.

A guy in our group with a tiny Jayco has a 2019 Chevy 1500, it's payload is 1750lbs...Our 2017 2500HD with the massive Allison/Duramax wonderful combination has a payload of...1964 lbs.

Such an oddly weird number, and only 214 lbs more?! They're both double cabs and similarly kitted out.

You paid the diesel penalty. When you move from a 1500 gas to a 2500 diesel, the additional weight of the powerplant eats some of your payload increase.

sourdough
09-27-2020, 07:44 PM
The problem I have with this is, even though I'm careful to meet the basic load rating requirements with my half ton pickup, I'm treated like an idiot. I have a medium size trailer. It meets all YOUR requirements.
I drive 3/4 ton pickups daily at work. I won't buy one. They ride like freight trains.
I've decided to reduce my load so I can enjoy the ride and mileage of a half ton.
Why do you guys continue to beat up folks that are following every letter of the same law you are preaching?

First and foremost "I, YOUR" requirements don't exist. They are on the door pillar of a truck. You can "say" you're careful ie: won't load to the max, no water, leave the dogs at home, add air bags etc. etc., but without scaled weights you are just "hoping". If a person doesn't actually know their scaled weights - where they stand with weights, they're not an idiot...they don't know and are just postulating.

I don't know that anyone here "beats up" anyone actually following every letter of the same law we are preaching. A questionable combo, on the face, is going to face scrutiny simply because it should. Far too many folks say "I'm good" when they have no idea, or don't care. That's fine. But, comments from anyone that doesn't have a clue and just says "I'm good, and so are you" will be questioned.

It's unfortunate that you think anyone is beating up on anyone adhering to weight rules. When shown to be within limits it seems they just sort of fade away....unless someone wants to advocate for dangerous combos etc. The biggest issue I see on this forum and others is advocating a 1/2 ton is a truck, is a truck, is a truck....just like the big ones; they're not. BTDT over and over.

Your comments about the ride and mileage of a HD truck mirror mine several years ago. Wait! The HD truck rode as well or better than the 1/2 ton (rear aired to 65) and the mileage of the 6.4 was BETTER than the 5.7 in a 1/2 ton. I (me) was the 1/2 ton poster boy for years...I was wrong and you will be too.

travelin texans
09-27-2020, 07:50 PM
I really wanted to go that route, but DW refused to deal with diesel. :(

Then get the 3500 gasser!

LHaven
09-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Then get the 3500 gasser!

Who makes that? My Ford dealer told us everything above an F-250 is diesel.

notanlines
09-28-2020, 04:33 AM
That has got to tell you what car salesmen know about their product.....next to nothing. The F450's are all diesel, all 4:30gears, but not the F350's. Better you should do your homework on reliable websites (Like Facefook :eek::lol:) like Ford-trucks.com, or maybe keystoneforums.com :) where knowledgeable people hang out.

wiredgeorge
09-28-2020, 04:43 AM

Ford manufactures F350 models with both 6.2L and 7.3L gas engines and they are generally listed as "flex fuels" meaning they can use E85. These engines are a bit harder to find on lots as diesels are better sellers I believe. If you go used, Ford made a 6.8L V10 that is a pretty good engine for towing and was used in MANY Class C and Class A motorhomes. Ford also put a 5.4L gas engine in Superduty F350s and these can be found a much reduced price vs other gas engines but perhaps is not an optimum engine for towing.

flybouy
09-28-2020, 04:43 AM

Maybe that's all they have on their lot.

ronheater70
09-28-2020, 08:11 AM
A similar Rant! Being pushed to buy a 1 ton truck to pull a pop-up.
Really, there is no reason a 1/2 ton can not safely, comftorably pull a 7K-8k trailer. As long as the payload is there, then go at it. Get a good hitch setup and be happy.
SOme 1/2 tons are at 2K payload in extrem cases, and some 3/4 tons can have less payload than some 1/2 tons.. It all depends on which 1/2 ton you pick and how its outfitted with amenities,etc.. I mean a 1/2 ton truck pulling 8K or a 1 ton dually pulling 30K pounds.. Your both in the same boat.. all the numbers say you can do it, but whether you want to is up to you.

LHaven
09-28-2020, 08:56 AM
Maybe that's all they have on their lot.

It's possible that his message was that gas-fueled F-350s are so relatively unpopular that the selection available to him (even on everybody else's lots) wouldn't have conformed to many of the feature specs we desired (like no fancy packages). Even our F-250 was a transfer from some other dealer.

JeepersCampers
09-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Actually it depends and it may. The 2020 RAM Cummins HO is only available in the 3500. My 3500 does have more horsepower and torque than any 2500 from the factory. That being said, you can also buy a RAM 3500 with the same engine as a 2500.

Bill-2020
09-28-2020, 09:15 AM
Ford manufactures F350 models with both 6.2L and 7.3L gas engines and they are generally listed as "flex fuels" meaning they can use E85. These engines are a bit harder to find on lots as diesels are better sellers I believe. If you go used, Ford made a 6.8L V10 that is a pretty good engine for towing and was used in MANY Class C and Class A motorhomes. Ford also put a 5.4L gas engine in Superduty F350s and these can be found a much reduced price vs other gas engines but perhaps is not an optimum engine for towing.

Years ago (early 2000’s) drove a F250 with a Triton V10, biggest cab they made, an 8 foot bed, and a tommy lift gate for the hot air balloon system. Truck was built like a tank. Strong engine, great suspension, and never missed a beat. It was referred to as “Big Momma” by some on the field. I think there was over 210,000 on the odometer when she was retired to another owner. I hadn’t thought about that engine until George mentioned it above.

flybouy
09-28-2020, 09:35 AM
Years ago (early 2000’s) drove a F250 with a Triton V10, biggest cab they made, an 8 foot bed, and a tommy lift gate for the hot air balloon system. Truck was built like a tank. Strong engine, great suspension, and never missed a beat. It was referred to as “Big Momma” by some on the field. I think there was over 210,000 on the odometer when she was retired to another owner. I hadn’t thought about that engine until George mentioned it above.

I bet that V10 never missed a gas station either!:lol:

chuckster57
09-28-2020, 10:30 AM
I had an ‘86 F250 with a 460 on steroids. Pulled my Jayco on the flats at 7.7 mpg.

travelin texans
09-28-2020, 10:38 AM
I had an ‘86 F250 with a 460 on steroids. Pulled my Jayco on the flats at 7.7 mpg.

And 7.8 without towing the Jayco!!

travelin texans
09-28-2020, 10:40 AM

Were their lips moving!
Nuff' said!

Badbart56
09-28-2020, 11:44 AM

Whether it's your business or not doesn't mean we are all exempt from the reality that we could fall victim to their negligence. I'm on the interstates for about 40 weeks out of 52. I see crashed RV's, pickup trucks upside down, overloaded SUV's trying to do what a dually should be doing. I watch that short wheelbase SUV squatting under the weight of a TT that should be hooked up to 3/4 ton. Or the one I just passed wobbling in my wake, wagging the TT like a dogs tail, hoping he doesn't lose control and hit my rig or run off the road into the wood line.

As a cop I've worked a crash where an entire family of four crashed and burned in their truck towing an overloaded TT on a rainy day. The "weight police" on this forum aren't saying anything that I don't know, and regardless of how arrogant they may sound to some of you folks asking what you probably already know, facts are facts. Do your homework. Don't keep trying to make the round peg fit in the square hole. If you're wrong, just accept it and deal with it. Get the smaller trailer if you can't afford the bigger truck.

Keep yourselves and the rest of us safe, please!

jimborokz
09-28-2020, 12:48 PM
I have a friend who just posted their new TT on FB. A 33foot rig with a 7500lb dry weight. His TV?.... a 2019 Chevy Colorado!! How can any dealer allow someone to drive that thing off the lot? He is brand new to camping and obviously didn’t do any research, which is on him. But surely there has to be some kind of conscience on the dealers. Right?

While in community college my son bought a Dodge Dakota. When he got it home I noticed it had holes in the bed and power plug for a fifth wheel hitch. I didn't know anything about fifth wheels at the time and have no idea what size 5er the previous owner had. Anyway fast forward to a year later and he's traveling to a more distant school and wants to get rid of it for a small car. Gas mileage was killing him. I sold it for him and 6 months later found out the new owner had to replace the rear differential. Dodged that bullet and learned something.
I'm guessing most folks on this forum like myself started out not knowing much about towing and weights and made some bad trailer and TV choices. We started out with a popup and towed with a mid sized wagon that squatted pretty good. We only traveled about 30 miles to a state campground and had engine troubles most times (spelled blown head gasket).
Grew to half ton pick ups and TT's and then 3/4 ton when I felt it was tugging me around too much.
Looking back it would have been nice to have this forum to learn from. I am currently well within specs, but I have to admit if I was now buying my current truck I would probably get the F450 dually just cause I love the way it looks.

flybouy
09-28-2020, 01:57 PM
While in community college my son bought a Dodge Dakota. When he got it home I noticed it had holes in the bed and power plug for a fifth wheel hitch. I didn't know anything about fifth wheels at the time and have no idea what size 5er the previous owner had. Anyway fast forward to a year later and he's traveling to a more distant school and wants to get rid of it for a small car. Gas mileage was killing him. I sold it for him and 6 months later found out the new owner had to replace the rear differential. Dodged that bullet and learned something.
I'm guessing most folks on this forum like myself started out not knowing much about towing and weights and made some bad trailer and TV choices. We started out with a popup and towed with a mid sized wagon that squatted pretty good. We only traveled about 30 miles to a state campground and had engine troubles most times (spelled blown head gasket).
Grew to half ton pick ups and TT's and then 3/4 ton when I felt it was tugging me around too much.
Looking back it would have been nice to have this forum to learn from. I am currently well within specs, but I have to admit if I was now buying my current truck I would probably get the F450 dually just cause I love the way it looks.

The overwhelming majority of folks on this forum have had similar experiences. Many of us try to prevent others from making the mistakes that we made. Some folks just plain cannot take constructive criticism. Some I believe are embarrassed, and others are just so narcissistic that they think they know it all. The most irritating to me, are the people that ask for advice, then want to argue and tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. Those are the people that I just wish a good day to and hope and pray they stay safe.

Bill-2020
09-28-2020, 02:01 PM

Nope! But gas was cheap back then, 90+ gallons of propane is what broke the bank. Can’t imagine doing that today.

Regarding the 460.... I had a ‘72 Ford Mercury Marquis Broughm- 2 door. had the same 460 V8. Man that land yacht could float down the highway. Boy those were the day, weren’t they.

flybouy
09-28-2020, 02:17 PM
We had a 2000 Dodge Durango R/T. 5.9L, full time awd, and wide tires (can't remember size but I think they were 18" rims). That thing took premium fuel and lots of it. It would get 10 mpg if you drove it like you stole it or about 11 1/2 mpg if you drove it like grandma. Guess how I drove it.:)

sourdough
09-28-2020, 02:23 PM
Nope! But gas was cheap back then, 90+ gallons of propane is what broke the bank. Can’t imagine doing that today.

Regarding the 460.... I had a ‘72 Ford Mercury Marquis Broughm- 2 door. had the same 460 V8. Man that land yacht could float down the highway. Boy those were the day, weren’t they.

I know this is an RV forum but the comment above brought back a lot of memories :). "Float" down the highway was right back then. Had a 67 Plymouth Fury III 2 door 383 that literally (really) seemed to just float along. That and the dark red velour interior (think bordello - but man it looked cool in the dark) made me switch to a 69 Buick Electra 225 - yep, still the same but at least it had those semi enclosed rear fender skirts that looked cool....:D Float was the word alright.

notanlines
09-28-2020, 02:25 PM
Man, I just hate it when BadBart hits the nail on the head. You'd think he knew something about loads and what it took to get 'em up and down the highway....:D
Good post, by the way. It was right on!

wiredgeorge
09-28-2020, 02:26 PM

The V10 Triton gets better gas mileage than my ol' 460! THIRSTY! :lol:

Javi
09-28-2020, 02:43 PM
I remember the Ford 360 motor being the workhorse of the line.

Badbart56
09-28-2020, 03:14 PM
I remember the Ford 360 motor being the workhorse of the line.

Yeah, back in the 70's and 80's the gas engines were pretty much all you could get in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. Ford had the 390 and then the 360 before the 460 came out. My dad had a 360 in his 73 F250 and then he ordered a 76 F150 Supercab with the 460. I drove it once, following someone across town and the light turned yellow as the went through. I didn't want to lose them as I didn't know where we were going so I floored it. The transmission dropped into first gear and even with the limited slip rear axle it spun the tires and got sideways! I think it only got 6 or 8 mpg but it would fly! They used gas engines even in the medium duty trucks back then. A feed company that delivered our hog feed with a GMC Brigadier used a Chevy 427 with a Holley four barrel.

Snoking
09-28-2020, 03:43 PM
We had a 2000 Dodge Durango R/T. 5.9L, full time awd, and wide tires (can't remember size but I think they were 18" rims). That thing took premium fuel and lots of it. It would get 10 mpg if you drove it like you stole it or about 11 1/2 mpg if you drove it like grandma. Guess how I drove it.:)

Times have changed. I can drive DW's new 2020 Ford Edge ST with the twin turbo 2.7L V6 with 335 HP and 380 lb ft of torque like I stole it and it still get 19-21 MPG. 0-60 is noted at 5.7 secs. 14.1 and 98 in the 1.4 mile. Funny thing is it is faster than my old 1967 Camaro SS350 that was 1200 lbs lighter. And on a windy road the ST would run away and hide from the Camaro with it's Ford Performance Departments tuned suspension. Specs on your old 2000 RT 0-60 mph in 9.1 sec. Times surely have changed.

Ken / Claudia
09-28-2020, 05:32 PM
I think I will start a new thread. "I have a truck that's too damn big for my trailer. Should I trade it in for a 1/2 ton.?"

rjrelander
09-28-2020, 07:22 PM
I think I will start a new thread. "I have a truck that's too damn big for my trailer. Should I trade it in for a 1/2 ton.?"
Reminds me of one campground where a bunch of college kids showed up with tents and stuff. One of them had an old dusty one ton DRW diesel farm truck pulling a beat up little popup camper. They were actually really good neighbors.

ChuckM
09-28-2020, 09:17 PM
I hate to add to the SRW or DRW, but thought I would give you my weights from the CAT Scale.

My truck is 2017 F350 SRW Diesel crew cab 6 3/4 ft bed 4x4 11500#GVW hitch in a Reese manual slider.

Trailer is 2017 Montana High country
Specs listed
Dry Wt. 11,180#
Pay load 3,065#
GVWR 14,254#
Pin 2,245#

I wanted to stay under the 26,000# non commercial CDL limit. In Texas you are required to have one I called the State Trooper office.

Did CAT scale with myself and wife some gear and 1/2 tank diesel.
Trailer had 2 full propane tanks no black grey or fresh water in tanks. Food and general stuff in trailer and belly storage loaded with lots of stuff and 4 totes of hoses and other stuff.

Pick up only

Steer axle 5020#
Drive axle 3,440#
Total 8,460

Pickup with Trailer
Steer axle 5,160#
Drive axle 6,129#
Trailer Axles 9,500#
Gross Weight 20,789#

I work hard to manage weight to stay way under max. I use a haul gauge between CAT scale checks it’s not perfect but closer than I thought it would be.

I now move what I can to the rear of the trailer it also has fold down rack on the back to lighten pin load a little.

I got more great info from this and other sites before I purchased the trailer and truck, RV and Ford dealers were no help at all, did not have a clue on load requirements. If they ever start making RV,s cross the scales their revenue from the fines will be surprising.

JRTJH
09-29-2020, 07:55 AM
With all this talk about Ford "big block V-8's", I ran across this article about the "newest addition to the Ford legacy", the "gas 7.3" which Ford intends to bridge the gap between the 6.2 base engine and the 6.7 diesel "workhorse". Strange that Ford built it from scratch with the "same displacement as their famous, best seller diesel" and the article touches on some of the reasons...

It seems to be as thirsty as it's predecessors, which is no big surprise when you consider that it takes a tremendous amount of energy to translate "liquid gold into fluid motion"....

Anyway, here's one review of the new Ford 7.3 gas engine: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34184515/2020-ford-f-250-super-duty-7-3-liter-v-8-drive/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_cdb&utm_medium=email&date=092920&utm_campaign=nl21384602

sourdough
09-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Oh man! Ford big blocks.... I had the 360, 351, 390s at one time off the top of my head (when I was a Ford guy) and my buddy had that old 460 - 78 I think. But now we're talking the 7.3 (Godzilla). The 7.3 is about what I've been begging FCA to come out with - a bridge between the high powered (and costly) diesels and the gas engines that just aren't quite where I would like to see them (I always asked for 500lbs. of torque). Then, the other day, I was watching the test in the link below. Oh boy....a Ford might be in my future - it seemed pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HiR9dxvGLY

Javi
09-29-2020, 08:38 AM
My first 3/4 ton pick was a '66 GMC with the 305E v-6 now that was a workhorse.. it had started life as a stake-bed and someone put an 8ft 1970 bed on it.. :D

wiredgeorge
09-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Oh man! Ford big blocks.... I had the 360, 351, 390s at one time off the top of my head (when I was a Ford guy) and my buddy had that old 460 - 78 I think. But now we're talking the 7.3 (Godzilla). The 7.3 is about what I've been begging FCA to come out with - a bridge between the high powered (and costly) diesels and the gas engines that just aren't quite where I would like to see them (I always asked for 500lbs. of torque). Then, the other day, I was watching the test in the link below. Oh boy....a Ford might be in my future - it seemed pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HiR9dxvGLY

I take it you have that brand new Ram paid off and have worked up the courage to break the news that a Ford future awaits to your missus? :whistling:

Snoking
09-29-2020, 09:11 AM

Count me in. 3500 towing a 8K TT. Problem is the truck was paid for in full before getting on an airplane to go drive it home from Colorado in 2015. Chris

ehidle
10-12-2020, 04:16 AM
I personally think it's a good idea to get a weight slip for every trip, for two reasons.

1) You may surprise yourself.

2) If you are in an accident, you will certainly be challenged to show you were not overweight. That is a lot easier to prove when your setup is still in one piece than it is when it's littering the highway in pieces.

In a civil tort case, the jury is not going to give two hoots about how manly you think your truck is when it is found you were 1000 lbs over gross and didn't bother to check your weight and balance.

So, fuel up (all the way), then hit the scale. It only takes a few minutes.

rhagfo
10-12-2020, 05:19 AM
I hate to add to the SRW or DRW, but thought I would give you my weights from the CAT Scale.

My truck is 2017 F350 SRW Diesel crew cab 6 3/4 ft bed 4x4 11500#GVW hitch in a Reese manual slider.

Specs listed
Dry Wt. 11,180#
Pay load 3,065#
GVWR 14,254#
Pin 2,245#

I wanted to stay under the 26,000# non commercial CDL limit. In Texas you are required to have one I called the State Trooper office.

Trailer had 2 full propane tanks no black grey or fresh water in tanks. Food and general stuff in trailer and belly storage loaded with lots of stuff and 4 totes of hoses and other stuff.

Pick up only

Steer axle 5020#
Drive axle 3,440#
Total 8,460

Pickup with Trailer
Steer axle 5,160#
Drive axle 6,129#
Trailer Axles 9,500#
Gross Weight 20,789#

I work hard to manage weight to stay way under max. I use a haul gauge between CAT scale checks it’s not perfect but closer than I thought it would be.

I now move what I can to the rear of the trailer it also has fold down rack on the back to lighten pin load a little.

I got more great info from this and other sites before I purchased the trailer and truck, RV and Ford dealers were no help at all, did not have a clue on load requirements. If they ever start making RV,s cross the scales their revenue from the fines will be surprising.

This is exactly why I went with a DRW!
Our 5er is maxed pushing 13,000#, we full time and carry an in bed tool box with some weight in it. Our old 2001 Ram 2500 CTD weighed 7,800# ready to tow on a 8,800# GVWR. Needless to say we were a bit over GVWR, while still within axle and tires.
I did the math based on a post 2013 Ram 3500 SRW with 12,500# GVWR, I was going to be right at GVWR.
Just an FYI between DW, Me, small dog, stuff in the tool box, on board VIAIR compressor (30#), and hitch we added 1,411# to the TV putting us right at 10,000# ready to tow. Leaving 4,000# for a 5er pin.

Javi
10-12-2020, 05:35 AM

Specs listed
Dry Wt. 11,180#
Pay load 3,065#
GVWR 14,254#
Pin 2,245#

Pick up only

Steer axle 5020#
Drive axle 3,440#
Total 8,460

Pickup with Trailer
Steer axle 5,160#
Drive axle 6,129#
Trailer Axles 9,500#
Gross Weight 20,789#

This is exactly why I went with a DRW!
Our 5er is maxed pushing 13,000#, we full time and carry an in bed tool box with some weight in it. Our old 2001 Ram 2500 CTD weighed 7,800# ready to tow on a 8,800# GVWR. Needless to say we were a bit over GVWR, while still within axle and tires.
I did the math based on a post 2013 Ram 3500 SRW with 12,500# GVWR, I was going to be right at GVWR.
Just an FYI between DW, Me, small dog, stuff in the tool box, on board VIAIR compressor (30#), and hitch we added 1,411# to the TV putting us right at 10,000# ready to tow. Leaving 4,000# for a 5er pin.

I just wanted to point out that the Texas law is based on registered weight not actual..

This gets a lot of folks into trouble... I know several of us on this forum have had issue with that.. In my case the dealer registered my dually for 10,000 pounds GVWR and I was grossly over with even the Cougar.. Easy fix, just go to the county and register for the stickered GVWR..

Ribtip
10-12-2020, 11:47 AM
I just wanted to point out that the Texas law is based on registered weight not actual..

This gets a lot of folks into trouble... I know several of us on this forum have had issue with that.. In my case the dealer registered my dually for 10,000 pounds GVWR and I was grossly over with even the Cougar.. Easy fix, just go to the county and register for the stickered GVWR..

I see this a lot in il. 2500's with b plates on them.i have a c plate

ehidle
10-13-2020, 03:51 AM

Similar here in SC. A passenger tag gets you 11k GVWR. If you want to be legal over that you have to get a P tag. Mine is registered for 19k and costs about $200 every two years.

A large SUV pulling a U-Haul trailer can bust the passenger tag limit though I've never heard of anyone actually getting an overweight ticket for that.