PDA

View Full Version : Waste tank drain issue

SRD
09-18-2020, 10:15 AM
Recently when I go to drain my tanks and take the cap off I get about a half gallon of wastewater come out. Both levers are pushed in all the way still happens. We have never put solid waste in the black tank and no one else has owned the trailer. Never have used the black tank flush because no solids in the tank. Camper will soon be four years old.Any suggestions?

chuckster57
09-18-2020, 10:21 AM
If your sure your valves are closed and they are leaking, then you probably need to replace the seals. The seals are on each side of the blade and replacements are readily available. You just need to know what brand and size.

LewisB
09-18-2020, 05:23 PM
Even though you haven't put solids in your black tank, it is possible there might be some minor materials from the initial construction inside the tank. On the other hand, a "1/2 gallon" of leakage is not that unusual. If the unit sits unused for extended periods, the seals may just let that much by. As Chuck points out, the valve seals themselves are cheap and easy to replace - the problem is GETTING to them can be a major project. You will either have to cut access holes in your underbelly coroplast, or remove a significant portion of that underbelly to access the valves. Before I did that, I'd try the following:

Thoroughly flush the system. Nearly fill your tanks, hook up the black tank flush system, open the tank dump valve, turn on the black flush, and let it run. You want to try to "flood" that disposal pipe with as much water as possible.
Then, install a "last chance" valve just ahead of the cap on your 3" dump line. You can either cut the existing line and plumb in a new 3" valve, or use a Valterra twist lock type valve, add it to the end of your pipe, then the cap. The idea with this valve is that any leakage from either tank valve will still be contained when you remove the cap. This is useful for more than just leaking tank valves (like the time I forgot to close the tank valve, and subsequently pulled the cap off and dumped the entire black tank on myself and the concrete around the dump station.:nonono: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00594B1KA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think you may find that a small amount of "leakage" by on the tank valves is really not a big issue. JMHO

travelin texans
09-18-2020, 09:30 PM
I still have a hard time understanding why some folks buy a rv then don't use the toilet (some don't use the shower either) as it was designed to be used, save money & buy a pop-up or a tent.
I paid for a rv so I'd have all the conveniences of home & didn't have to go elsewhere to do my business. Curious do they use the facilities at home, go elsewhere or have an outhouse.
I understand it's a sh###y job, probably the worst part of rving, but if careful & pay attention it's not that bad & I guarantee everyone has the same bodily function.

As to the OP, some rvs can have a couple feet of 3" piping after the valves with twist/turns that can hold liquid then while traveling it works to the cap.
Pickup a cap with water hose attachment on it & remove that small cap over the open hose before removing the 3" cap, lot smaller stream to deal with.

purebred
09-19-2020, 03:37 AM
I had the same problem with excess liquid when removing the sewer cap from our new Alpine. Purchased a twist on waste valve for the sewer outlet and then attached cap and viola no more leakage when removing cap. Simple solution.

notanlines
09-19-2020, 05:52 AM
Steve, you have gotten some good advice from knowledgeable folks. Now let's have a little fun with this. You made claim that your commode and black tank are still 'turd virgins.' (I just couldn't think of proper terminology) I'm guessing in the four years use of the RV, and literally hundreds of walks to the park bathrooms you have built up what extra worth in your RV resale? Are you actually going to put in the Ebay ad that your commode is....well, still a virgin? What about the sink? The Mattress? Water heater?
Yes, I'm just having a little fun at your expense. Feel free to send a little retort back at me. In the meantime, buy the endcap or the valve and don't sweat the small stuff.

68L79
09-19-2020, 07:14 AM
"like the time I forgot to close the tank valve, and subsequently pulled the cap off and dumped the entire black tank on myself and the concrete around the dump station. :nonono: " :eek:

I "tried" to do that yesterday. Luckily I have the garden hose connection for gray water release on the cap, so was able to let out a few gallons of liquid first so I didn't have a gusher.

JRTJH
09-19-2020, 07:53 AM
I'm a firm believer in the "belt AND suspenders" insurance when it comes to black tank fittings....

I have a "terminal valve" and a cap with the 3/4 inch garden hose fitting....

That way, even if the "terminal valve leaks, there's only 1" of space beyond the valve and a small cap to remove, not a 3" gully washer amount of outlet to deal with ...

As for "3 or 4 year old trailers with virgin black tanks".... That's a "almost guaranteed way to have dried out valve seals"..... Once they're dried and the valve blade is moved over the brittle rubber seals, it's almost certain that you'll be replacing the seals, not from use, but from dry, brittle rubber being mechanically torn by the valve blade as it pulls its way over the brittle rubber.....

Bottom line: It's very likely that using the toilet prolongs its life and "keeping it virgin" makes for early failure...

tech740
09-19-2020, 08:07 AM
I am guessing what the OP means is no poop in the tank. It has had urine and paper. The seals should not be dried out due to not being used. May still be a seal issue but I think some have misunderstood the post.

travelin texans
09-19-2020, 08:33 AM
I am guessing what the OP means is no poop in the tank. It has had urine and paper. The seals should not be dried out due to not being used. May still be a seal issue but I think some have misunderstood the post.

I've also talked to a few folks that only use the toilet for #1 at night, never #2 or paper in the toilet, & go to the parks facilities during the day.
NOPE! Not this guy!

tech740
09-19-2020, 10:22 AM
I've also talked to a few folks that only use the toilet for #1 at night, never #2 or paper in the toilet, & go to the parks facilities during the day.
NOPE! Not this guy!

I agree, we use ours for everything it was made for. We check things like knee room or wipe and lean room to be more specific when it comes to the bathroom. I just thought some of the replies were geared towards the tank never being used at all.

Maineiacs
09-19-2020, 12:05 PM
We know a couple who now have their 10 year old 5th wheel up for sale and think that's a strong selling point. From what I hear, most of the "lookers" have looked at them like they're out of their mind. "Turd virgins", a new catch phrase!

JRTJH
09-19-2020, 12:24 PM
:ermm: So now we have four definitions for "TV" ...

TV = Tow Vehicle
TV = Television
TV = Turd Virgin
TV = Toilet Virgin

:angel:

flybouy
09-19-2020, 04:25 PM
We know a couple who now have their 10 year old 5th wheel up for sale and think that's a strong selling point. From what I hear, most of the "lookers" have looked at them like they're out of their mind. "Turd virgins", a new catch phrase!

To me, if you want to buy a collectable or museum piece I’d look just about anywhere other than an RV dealership. I didn’t see a “turd virgin” line item in the NADA Guide or Kelly’s Blue Book.

What’s that condition add, $5?

Dan Lockwood
10-01-2020, 07:49 AM
John,

Abbreviations, what is DW, Designated Wife? I’ve been racking my little grey cells since I’ve joined this forum to figure this abbreviation out. I haven’t seen this used on other forums, so just wondering.

Sorry for going off subject ...��

jdgore92
10-01-2020, 07:50 AM
If your rig has spent any time in the shop, it may not be a turd virgin anymore. I've known several owners who found the techs had "christened" the facilities while in the shop. In many cases, it's much closer (and cleaner) than the shop restroom.

68L79
10-01-2020, 07:58 AM
DEAR Wife, of course! :)

LewisB
10-01-2020, 08:23 AM
John,

Abbreviations, what is DW, Designated Wife? I’ve been racking my little grey cells since I’ve joined this forum to figure this abbreviation out. I haven’t seen this used on other forums, so just wondering.

Sorry for going off subject ...��

Most would say "Dear Wife", but I've also seen "Devil Woman" - my DW calls me the DW because she says it stands for "dim wit":lol:

Here's a big list - not sure how official this might be...
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...read.php?t=449

Todd 423
10-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Install a secondary knife valve ahead of the discharge cap. This will stop any. Liquids, that may be left in the drain lines, from making its way to the cap.

apachewolf
10-01-2020, 11:27 AM
I still have a hard time understanding why some folks buy a rv then don't use the toilet (some don't use the shower either) as it was designed to be used, save money & buy a pop-up or a tent.
I paid for a rv so I'd have all the conveniences of home & didn't have to go elsewhere to do my business. Curious do they use the facilities at home, go elsewhere or have an outhouse.
I understand it's a sh###y job, probably the worst part of rving, but if careful & pay attention it's not that bad & I guarantee everyone has the same bodily function.

As to the OP, some rvs can have a couple feet of 3" piping after the valves with twist/turns that can hold liquid then while traveling it works to the cap.
Pickup a cap with water hose attachment on it & remove that small cap over the open hose before removing the 3" cap, lot smaller stream to deal with.

I agree 110%. We purchased out TT exactly because we wanted our OWN bathroom, Kitchen and Bedroom. To NOT use it that way don't make sense. Likewise with the notion that one should not alter the interior to fit ones taste because it MAY lower the resale value. People buy homes and re-do them to thier need and liking without thoughts to resale value. I tore out the bench in the slide after it collapsed but I did not rebuild it I bought a dresser and chairs to use there instead. That was OUR taste. We have now been enjoying it for over 5 years. Ultimately the difference between what I paid for it and what I get when I sell it will be what it cost me to enjoy camping for the years we have used it. Simple economics.

LHaven
10-01-2020, 12:47 PM
I agree 110%. We purchased out TT exactly because we wanted our OWN bathroom, Kitchen and Bedroom. To NOT use it that way don't make sense.

I mean... I have a kitchen in my RV, too, but we still only make about 20% of our meals in it. We treated our first rig's bath the same way. We used the bathroom as a last resort. If we were boondocking, or got up in the middle of the night, fine; otherwise, we'd trek to the CG bathroom. The shower/tub was a joke -- although our dealer was nice enough to install a raised skylight so it was tall enough for me, the width was unchanged and the curtain would always come in to stick to you full length (the extend-a-curtain add-on products wouldn't work because the curtain ran against a wall for half its run), so I think I used the shower in it fewer than ten times in 20 years.

Also, some people try to maximize their tank duration, especially at non-sewer sites.

On this rig, I paid particular attention to the shower. I tested the height, and the rigid glass walls were a big selling point. Although it's still uncomfortably tight (can't bend over, had to buy a waterproof footstool), we use it almost exclusively now, especially given the current health panic.

I wonder how many other people don't use their rig's bathroom because they didn't realize how awkward it was to actually use until they actually tried to use it the first time?

QCMan
10-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Maybe some of the European caravans (travel trailers) are way ahead of the Turd Virgin curve. They mostly come without a toilet or Black tank and most must be special ordered to include the toilet and Black tank. The Aussies are having none of that and have units similar to our smaller tt's. Some US manufacturers have even set up shop down there. No pooping with the snakes for them!

kjohn
10-10-2020, 05:47 PM
So far (touch wood), I've managed to avoid any real serious disasters wrt dumping. I like the idea of a second knife valve near the outlet cap.

One of the reasons we bought a TT was to avoid having to use public facilities. I'm reasonably sure my wife would crown me if I suggested we use the CG or truck stop can. If we are at a full hookup CG, I try to use plenty of water in the toilet. After 8 years and around 35,000+ miles, we've never had a problem. Just need to use a bit of care and common sense. I carry a 25 gal. water tank and a 45 gal. "other" tank in the truck, along with a macerator for when full hook up isn't available. We have a cap on our truck, so none of that is easily seen.

Greg58
12-11-2020, 02:29 PM
I can't say which type of valve you have but some are bolted together, I just checked our Outback and I can't see the valve because of the undercarriage covering, on my small Jayco 165 you can unbolt the valves from the grey and black tanks for service.

Greg58
12-11-2020, 02:46 PM
A safety tip I learned the hard way, if your Outback has dump valves with extended handles this will help. We traveled to Carabelle Fl. from home for a week of camping, we were on a full hook-up site, on day two I went out to connect the drain pipe and found the black tank valve had bounced open slightly on the trip there. Boy was I embarrassed trying to figure out what to do, I managed to not make a mess but found a solution. If you look at the tee handle it has a eyelet for a hook, a small bungee cord hooked to the handle and to somewhere on the undercarriage will prevent it from opening.

skids
12-11-2020, 07:49 PM
"like the time I forgot to close the tank valve, and subsequently pulled the cap off and dumped the entire black tank on myself and the concrete around the dump station. :nonono: " :eek:

I "tried" to do that yesterday. Luckily I have the garden hose connection for gray water release on the cap, so was able to let out a few gallons of liquid first so I didn't have a gusher.

Bwahahaha! That must have been a shocker. I always do a walk around before taking off for camping and YES I did find a closed cap/open valve. Could have done the same damned thing.

travelin texans
12-12-2020, 08:33 AM
Bwahahaha! That must have been a shocker. I always do a walk around before taking off for camping and YES I did find a closed cap/open valve. Could have done the same damned thing.

Anyone that hasn't had this happen to them have been lucky, but if you rv long enough your turn will come. I think it has or will happen to everyone to some extent.

cavie
12-12-2020, 08:44 AM
purchase and replace new gate valves. 20 min job. 4 bolts.

travelin texans
12-12-2020, 11:13 AM
purchase and replace new gate valves. 20 min job. 4 bolts.

Yours must not have the have the covering on the underbelly? Removing/reinstalling that to get to the valves could take 1/2 a day.
I've changed several & will agree there's 4 bolts, but have never ever changed one out in 20 minutes, sometimes it takes 20 minutes or more to find where they've hidden the valve.

chuckster57
12-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Yours must not have the have the covering on the underbelly? Removing/reinstalling that to get to the valves could take 1/2 a day.
I've changed several & will agree there's 4 bolts, but have never ever changed one out in 20 minutes, sometimes it takes 20 minutes or more to find where they've hidden the valve.
And I can add that if the valve is "sandwiched" between a couple of tanks, it can take more than 20 minutes just to spread the valve enough to get it out. I have spent way longer trying to get the new seals seated right too.

20 minutes is a BEST case scenario.