PDA

View Full Version : Do i have to say goodbye?

Viet_Vet
09-17-2020, 01:19 PM
Soooooooooo, I have to let everyone know what has happened with us. After we returned in April from our 4 1/2 month trip through the southeast, my wife and I decided with the COVID situation to sell our truck and 5th wheel. We felt that with everything going on - COVID, protests, riots, etc, that we would be better off traveling internationally.

We have both spent many years traveling around the world, and thought it would be the best thing with the current situation. So we sold the truck and 5er as a package and began planning our overseas journey. Two weeks later, they slapped the international travel ban on Americans, at least to the countries we wanted to travel in.

Faced with that, we had to start over again. We bought the Ford F250 and began a search for a smaller Keystone 5th wheel. It's just the two of us, and the size of the Hideout was nice, but was just a tad too big.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find another Keystone, with everything we wanted, in a price range we could afford. I'm a disabled Vietnam veteran on a fixed income, working part time at a truck dealership to supplement our income.

We ended up buying a used Primetime (Forest River) Crusader 27 ft 5er with 3 slides. Since we no longer own a Keystone camper, I am not sure of the etiquette of being on the Keystone forums when I am now a FR owner.

Getting to know some of you here has been a real pleasure. Your feedback and advice has been invaluable to us in our travels, and by leaving I feel like I am losing friends. I want to wish each and everyone of you the best in life, in camping, and on the road. God bless you all. :USA:

tech740
09-17-2020, 01:27 PM
Stick around. I have been a FR owner for 1.5 years now. This is still my go to. I am on the FR forum but they are not near as active or helpful. (seems to be all motor home owners). They are all built with the same parts with a few small exceptions. No need to loose good people over a brand. Thank you for your service.

Northofu1
09-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Why leave? Stay and be a nuisance :lol: jk
Most RV product lines cross over anyway.
Whatever you decide, Good luck and happy trails always. :)

sourdough
09-17-2020, 01:35 PM
Stick around Wallace. No need to go anywhere. I think we all consider each other friends and the brand of trailer doesn't make much difference. I'm wishing you well on the new trailer and truck along with fun travels, but, just hang around.....no telling what you might miss!!

wiredgeorge
09-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Soooooooooo, I have to let everyone know what has happened with us. After we returned in April from our 4 1/2 month trip through the southeast, my wife and I decided with the COVID situation to sell our truck and 5th wheel. We felt that with everything going on - COVID, protests, riots, etc, that we would be better off traveling internationally.

We have both spent many years traveling around the world, and thought it would be the best thing with the current situation. So we sold the truck and 5er as a package and began planning our overseas journey. Two weeks later, they slapped the international travel ban on Americans, at least to the countries we wanted to travel in.

Faced with that, we had to start over again. We bought the Ford F250 and began a search for a smaller Keystone 5th wheel. It's just the two of us, and the size of the Hideout was nice, but was just a tad too big.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find another Keystone, with everything we wanted, in a price range we could afford. I'm a disabled Vietnam veteran on a fixed income, working part time at a truck dealership to supplement our income.

We ended up buying a used Primetime (Forest River) Crusader 27 ft 5er with 3 slides. Since we no longer own a Keystone camper, I am not sure of the etiquette of being on the Keystone forums when I am now a FR owner.

Getting to know some of you here has been a real pleasure. Your feedback and advice has been invaluable to us in our travels, and by leaving I feel like I am losing friends. I want to wish each and everyone of you the best in life, in camping, and on the road. God bless you all. :USA:

There isn't any brand snobbery on this forum and many folks here have owned Forest River products in the past and may own them in the future. Is this forum more helpful to you than the FR owners forum? Then stay. It is certainly a cut above some of the more multi brand forums where a lot of bad information and carping goes on. I traveled constantly in the govt. employ for almost 20 years (mostly to not so great places) so have little desire to travel abroad but the missus may have other ideas. I don't care for the idea of airplane rides until the vaccine comes out. I have read that airliner's filtration systems are all peachy keen but I get a bug every time I am on a plane anyway. Do stick around and know that all RVs are basically made the same with the same jobbers supplying much of what goes into fitting and construction so a question here will probably work as well as anywhere for a travel trailer.

Viet_Vet
09-17-2020, 02:54 PM
WOW!!! Thank you all. As I said, I'm not knowledgeable enough about the forums to know what the proper etiquette is.

Nice to know I welcome here.

And yes, this is the most active and helpful forum I have been on. I would say as active as the Tribal War forum is, and definitely more helpful, if there are any former Tribes players out there !?!?!?

wiredgeorge
09-17-2020, 03:04 PM
WOW!!! Thank you all. As I said, I'm not knowledgeable enough about the forums to know what the proper etiquette is.

Nice to know I welcome here.

And yes, this is the most active and helpful forum I have been on. I would say as active as the Tribal War forum is, and definitely more helpful, if there are any former Tribes players out there !?!?!?

Tribal War? I have operated in several war zones but not heard of that one. Sounds like Amerinds?

Gary R.
09-17-2020, 04:15 PM
Hello Wallace,

No need to leave the forum, as others have said. No brand wars here for sure.

Have a great time with your new setup!

Take care and stay safe,

Gary

JJaxon
09-17-2020, 04:38 PM
Heck yes, stay here. No reason to bail out just bc you swapped brands.

All RVs are just a bunch of the same components put together in different layouts, add colors, and labels. I belong to this, FR and the Jayco owners forum. This is by far my favorite, but I learn things every day from the others and the issues they have.
Lately there are many new 1st time owners and you may be the guy they need to hear from for you experience.

Don't go anywhere, sit back, relax, and enjoy life, while we still can.

dutchmensport
09-17-2020, 05:03 PM
Stick around, your experience is still appreciated. You have much you can offer. I no longer have a travel trailer, but I still frequent the travel trailer forums on various RV sites and share from my past experiences. YOu can do the same here.

notanlines
09-18-2020, 02:22 AM
Wallace, no need to move in the least. We have two RV's, a Mobile Suites and a Forest River. We haven't had a Keystone in years, but I feel the need to keep a couple of these moderators in line. John and Chuckster can be trusted, but the other three or four need constant supervision. I also keep an eye on our Texas members. They are too 'clanish', always sticking together!:eek:
Stick around, I could use the help.

Pull Toy
09-18-2020, 02:43 AM
Thank you for your service!

Sorry your original travel plans didn't work out for you, but you will always be welcome here. As already mentioned, we're not brand specific. Several members no longer own Keystone's, but the camping lifestyle ,and enthusiasm remain.

Good Luck,

purebred
09-18-2020, 04:09 AM
As a Army vet I know your frustrations with traveling the US and observing the frustrations our country is facing now. But I would never consider giving up the good ole USA to tour foreign countries instead of this one. Been to a lot of other countries and nothing compares to this great country. But I won't put no one down for wanting to do that. To each their own. As far as being on a forum and not having what others have on that particular forum I understand your reluctance. The best rv I have ever owned was an older holiday rambler that I pulled thousands of miles while working in the operating engineers. We looked at many 5th wheels before getting our Alpine. Anyway no need to go anywhere Sir. I'm a newbie here and already feel at home.

CedarCreekWoody
09-18-2020, 05:44 AM
Stick around and speak up. I left FR and came here, but I'm still active on that forum as well.

flybouy
09-18-2020, 05:50 AM
Hang around with the rest of the deserters like notanlines and pester us "pesky" moderators.:lol:

travelin texans
09-18-2020, 09:02 AM
Wallace, no need to move in the least. We have two RV's, a Mobile Suites and a Forest River. We haven't had a Keystone in years, but I feel the need to keep a couple of these moderators in line. John and Chuckster can be trusted, but the other three or four need constant supervision. I also keep an eye on our Texas members. They are too 'clanish', always sticking together!:eek:

[ATTACH]29862[/ATTACH

To all others from us Texans!
Thanks wired George!
I've used this several times since you posted it.

DeniseJ
10-01-2020, 07:15 AM
I totally agree. You belong to us!!

NevadaRich
10-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Stay around, I have a Lance 1181 Truck Camper that I have had since 2006, I sold my Keystone 5th wheel and purchased a Voltage TH 3895, so should I leave, still most RV's use the same parts here and there, so I check in here and also on the Dutchman Forums, anyway Keystone took over Dutchman, so who knows,

Viet_Vet
10-01-2020, 07:54 AM
Thank you everyone for making me feel all warm and fuzzy...... [eek]

I appreciate it, and will definitely stick around!

Brantlaker
10-01-2020, 08:37 AM
Stick around It's just the shell that's Keystone the rest is made by Lippert or someone else.Jut look at my profile at the bottom and you"l see what I dragaround.

firestation12
10-01-2020, 08:59 AM

My experience has been that one of the fastest ways to deplete a retirement fund is to embark on international travel for extended periods of time. The Euro exchange rate is not going to make your dollar go further nor will the expense of food and lodging. While public transportation is excellent, I’ve found in a month’s time the cost adds up fast. Your health insurance is another issue to deal with. I think the travel restrictions has saved you from a costly decision. Hope all works out for the best for you and the DW

johnnybadger
10-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Vietnam Vet,

I am a relative newbie to the forum, so I defer to those who have more seniority. But, for what it is worth, I believe you earned the right back in the 1960’s to hang out in any darn forum you darn well please.

Thank you for standing up and taking your position when many others hunkered down or ran across the border. We cannot repay you enough for your service.

John

Cire8002
10-01-2020, 02:25 PM

Stick around, just because it's got a different name on the outside we pretty much all have the same stuff inside.

Janet H
10-01-2020, 02:44 PM

You are in luck! You have this lovely Keystone family and now you should expand and join the Forest River forum here: https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/

We are sister sites and have a similar friendly vibe. At the end of the day - we're all Rvers and share common experiences and interests. Everyone is welcome at both forums. :flowers:

Dallasrules
10-01-2020, 04:21 PM
I originally joined the crossroads forum, then sold that 5ver, but I got such great advice that I still post and read on there. Then I got my Forest River Cedar Creek, so I joined that forum. Now I also have a Montana 5ver, so here I am. In all honesty, i like my cedar creek better than the Montana. There are just a few things that get on my nerves with the Montana.

I have older rvs, so I am always needing advice.

flybouy
10-01-2020, 04:55 PM
Thank you everyone for making me feel all warm and fuzzy...... [eek]

I appreciate it, and will definitely stick around!

Glad to know you'll be around. Not sure about the "all warm and fuzzy" thing.:hide:

hankpage
10-01-2020, 07:33 PM

I resemble that remark!!!! :angel:

rustyrider
10-02-2020, 03:21 PM
I'm sure like other members here, they may own more than RV as in this case
happen to 3 and none are for sale . So i'm on several forums and get great info
on all of them...WE seem to all be in that same basket of trouble shootin problems.. You should stick around help us out your new model..just sayin..

Carrie Lite-- Cardinal -- Fuzion they work for me..

B3Dcampers
10-02-2020, 05:15 PM
We are not new to rving but new to the forum and have found it warm and welcoming along with honest information. I just want to say thank you to all of the veterans out there.

RVPP
10-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Hang around. We were Forrest River owners for 5 years and Keystone for for 1. Lots of good info from both owners groups. Can't have too much good info.

Paul & Cindy
2013 F-150
2013 Bullett
Whiting, NJ

Phil Saran
10-31-2020, 09:14 AM
As a Vietnam era veteran (Army Security Agency), thank you for your service.

I say stick around and offer your knowledge to the newbies, because
we all needed help at some point.