PDA

View Full Version : My turn.... New Ram 3500

JJaxon
09-16-2020, 01:08 PM
I traded trucks this past weekend. After 1.5 years and 2600 miles towing with my last truck I decided a dually was a better truck to tow with for me.

Traded a 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 CC 4x4 LB SRW for this,
2020 3500 Laramie CC 4x4 LB DRW. The money wasn't much of a sacrifice and the few upgrade options the new one gives me are icing on the cake. My son asked me what was wrong with the 2019, I said it wasn't a dual rear wheel, and asked him what else am I supposed to do with my money? :cool: He offered no response. The 12 inch screen is very easy to use and offers many things I did not have in the last truck like Navigation, split screen, and overhead is the sun roof. Wasn't looking for that but this truck checked all my other boxes so I bought it.

I am taking the first trip towing this weekend to Kentucky Lakes. Then next week get the front windows tinted, spray in bed liner, order Amp Research auto steps, 60 gallon auxiliary fuel tank / tool box, install mud flaps and I'll be ready for a winter trip somewhere.

Here are a few pics;

JJaxon
09-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Has many things like collision avoidance, driver assist, Sport trim, Aux switches, wifi hot spot, sun roof, that my 2019 did not have.

This is not what I paid for it.

wiredgeorge
09-16-2020, 03:10 PM
That looks like a nice truck. Enjoy your camping as it very likely will make getting there more comfortable. BTW: That truck cost more than my house did 25 years ago! Bwhahahaha

Javi
09-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the DUALLY club.

LewisB
09-16-2020, 03:15 PM
Having gobs and gobs of payload is a marvelous thing!:D:D:D:cool:

notanlines
09-16-2020, 03:18 PM
You da’ man! I especially love the looks on number one son’s face when we come home with a new toy.

Canonman
09-16-2020, 03:26 PM
"I said it wasn't a dual rear wheel, and asked him what else am I supposed to do with my money? "

This comment definitely qualifies you for membership in the Forum's SKI community!!
SKI= "Spending the Kids Inheritance"
Well done! Really nice rig!

JJaxon
09-16-2020, 04:11 PM
"I said it wasn't a dual rear wheel, and asked him what else am I supposed to do with my money? "

This comment definitely qualifies you for membership in the Forum's SKI community!!
Well done! Really nice rig!

There needs to be a bumper sticker for that!

roadglide
09-16-2020, 04:18 PM
How did you find the match paint for the bike ?

Eastham
09-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Take son for a ride in the new truck and go look at the 2021.he will probably think you have totally lost it.Nice truck.enjoy it.

JJaxon
09-16-2020, 04:32 PM
How did you find the match paint for the bike ?

It's not a perfect match, but pretty close as you can see. The bike is 2018 and has a bit more metal flake sparkle in it. I bought it new last Thanksgiving - black friday. I found this truck last week, drove 630 each way to make the deal.

Paint should also be highlighted going down the road this weekend pulling my toy hauler. Pics to come.

JJaxon
09-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Take son for a ride in the new truck and go look at the 2021.he will probably think you have totally lost it.Nice truck.enjoy it.

That's a good idea 😏

JRTJH
09-16-2020, 05:48 PM
Great looking truck, congratulations !!! I was going to mention the breakin period and your planned trip this weekend, but your comment about the 630 mile each way to pick it up likely resolved that issue... Enjoy towing this weekend !!!

JJaxon
09-16-2020, 07:14 PM
Great looking truck, congratulations !!! I was going to mention the breakin period and your planned trip this weekend, but your comment about the 630 mile each way to pick it up likely resolved that issue... Enjoy towing this weekend !!!

What is the break in period specifically? I asked the dealer and he didn't know of any. I have not had time to look in the manual, but I will tomorrow.

JRTJH
09-16-2020, 07:45 PM
What is the break in period specifically? I asked the dealer and he didn't know of any. I have not had time to look in the manual, but I will tomorrow.

According to RAM, the Cummins engine does not require a "break-in regimen" but there's a note that directs the owner to the Towing section where this CAUTION is found (on page 329):

"To promote proper break-in of your new vehicle drivetrain components, the following guidelines are recommended. Perform the maintenance listed in the “Scheduled Servicing”. Refer to “Scheduled Servicing” in “Servicing And Maintenance” for the proper maintenance intervals. When towing a trailer, never exceed the GAWR or GCWR ratings.
CAUTION!
 Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts
at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads."

On my Ford, I was told by a friend who worked in the design center that the biggest issue was not "engine break-in" but "drive train break-in"... Seems the axles and drive shaft/U-joints are the "tender spots that need to wear in properly to avoid future problems".....

JJaxon
09-16-2020, 08:07 PM
I am past the 1st 500 miles, so check that. I did not know about the 1st 500 towing. I will investigate that further and not be exceeding the limits stated. Too much at stake.
Thank you for researching this and sharing.

JRTJH
09-16-2020, 08:18 PM
You're welcome... Enjoy your new truck !!!

Northofu1
09-17-2020, 01:16 AM
Congrats!
Nice looking combo.
Happy trails. :)

rhagfo
09-17-2020, 04:56 AM
Has many things like collision avoidance, driver assist, Sport trim, Aux switches, wifi hot spot, sun roof, that my 2019 did not have.

This is not what I paid for it.

Nice looking list of equipment, will be waiting on towing report, the difference between a SRW 12,300# GVWR TV, and a 14,000# GVWR DRW.

Papa of 7
09-17-2020, 05:14 AM
I traded trucks this past weekend. After 1.5 years and 2600 miles towing with my last truck I decided a dually was a better truck to tow with for me.

2020 3500 Laramie CC 4x4 LB DRW. The money wasn't much of a sacrifice and the few upgrade options the new one gives me are icing on the cake. My son asked me what was wrong with the 2019, I said it wasn't a dual rear wheel, and asked him what else am I supposed to do with my money? :cool: He offered no response. The 12 inch screen is very easy to use and offers many things I did not have in the last truck like Navigation, split screen, and overhead is the sun roof. Wasn't looking for that but this truck checked all my other boxes so I bought it.

I am taking the first trip towing this weekend to Kentucky Lakes. Then next week get the front windows tinted, spray in bed liner, order Amp Research auto steps, 60 gallon auxiliary fuel tank / tool box, install mud flaps and I'll be ready for a winter trip somewhere.

Here are a few pics;
Nice ride, congratulations!

JJaxon
09-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys. I read most of the owners manual, 351 pages now. Skimmed over some that didn't apply, like gas engines, bumper tow, etc. I also went to the scales today 2x. A new post is coming on the numbers, and I'll need some math experts to help me decipher what I have as a result.

I also washed the bugs off from the last trip in August today.
Added water after the scales. Heres a pic of the rig today.

wiredgeorge
09-17-2020, 03:07 PM

As official keeper of the forum acronyms, think Canonman's comment deserves to be included:

"This comment definitely qualifies you for membership in the Forum's SKI community!!
Well done! Really nice rig"

sourdough
09-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys. I read most of the owners manual, 351 pages now. Skimmed over some that didn't apply, like gas engines, bumper tow, etc. I also went to the scales today 2x. A new post is coming on the numbers, and I'll need some math experts to help me decipher what I have as a result.

I also washed the bugs off from the last trip in August today.
Added water after the scales. Heres a pic of the rig today.

Congrats, that is a nice looking truck! I have said for decades, and continue to say (although my resolve is wavering seemingly) that I will not have either a diesel or a dually, but that is a good looking truck. Reminds me of my srw....it just needs to be flame red! Have fun.

wiredgeorge
09-17-2020, 03:19 PM
Congrats, that is a nice looking truck! I have said for decades, and continue to say (although my resolve is wavering seemingly) that I will not have either a diesel or a dually, but that is a good looking truck. Reminds me of my srw....it just needs to be flame red! Have fun.

Red is definitely the fastest color... next is dark green. Blue is somewhere in there as well but nothing beats a clean red truck. Thanks is why I have white trucks. I don't wash them.

JJaxon
09-17-2020, 04:29 PM
My last 2 were white, before that dark green, and way back were 2 red trucks. I always said I'd never own a red truck, then bought 2 in a row. I like this truck in white but when I saw the blue, it matches my Fuzion and my Goldwing, so I went with it. Just finished a wash and wax, and my shoulder is killing me. Thankful for auto leveling on the rv, no more crank handles.

JJaxon
09-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Red is definitely the fastest color... next is dark green. Blue is somewhere in there as well but nothing beats a clean red truck. Thanks is why I have white trucks. I don't wash them.

Red shows up on radar, blue is a calming color, so I hope it works when LEO has a bad day.

Gegrad
09-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Good looking dually! enjoy!

Badbart56
09-17-2020, 04:40 PM

C'mon Danny! You know you want one! I guarantee, if you get a new Ram diesel, (or whatever your choice) you'll be grinning like a mule eating briars! You know I was thinking about getting a new Ford, right? But there's nothing wrong with my truck. About the only thing I could complain about is my truck "only" makes 400 hp and 800 ft/lbs of torque. So I just bought a Banks Automind 2 programmer that takes it to 510 hp and 1075 ft/lbs! I can't wait to get home and install it! I usually drive my CTS V when I feel like hot rodding but now I have a choice! GET THE DIESEL DANNY! Life is short, spend the money, you can't take it with you!

dutchmensport
09-17-2020, 04:57 PM
Congrats on your new truck and I KNOW you'll enjoy towing with it. Nothing like dualy's and diesels at that! Power, power, power! Only problem .... it's not a Chevy! :bow: (but I'll let it slide THIS time!) :D:D

Nice truck! Enjoy!

Big1
09-17-2020, 10:09 PM
Congrats! Wow, somebody got taste man what a beautiful match.

Papa of 7
09-18-2020, 05:45 AM
Congrats! Wow, somebody got taste man what a beautiful match.

Thank you Sir!

falcondan95705
09-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Man Ram makes a Very NICE TRUCK with an Engine that has no equal...

Dan Lockwood
09-24-2020, 08:01 AM
JJ, congrats on the new truck. 👍

I have a '12 RAM 1 ton dually and pull an 18k# gross Raptor 395LEV 43' toy hauler. I have to be very careful as I'm right at the top of my limits with the capacity of the RAM.

What do you pull, assume toy hauler with the bike, but not sure? If pulling with a SRW 1 ton, it must be a bit smaller than mine.

Will be very interested in how it does for you compared to the SRW. I'm thinking of upgrading as well. Looking at '19s in DRW.

Have fun with the new toy!

JJaxon
09-24-2020, 08:14 AM
JJ, congrats on the new truck. 👍

I have a '12 RAM 1 ton dually and pull an 18k# gross Raptor 395LEV 43' toy hauler. I have to be very careful as I'm right at the top of my limits with the capacity of the RAM.

What do you pull, assume toy hauler with the bike, but not sure? If pulling with a SRW 1 ton, it must be a bit smaller than mine.

Will be very interested in how it does for you compared to the SRW. I'm thinking of upgrading as well. Looking at '19s in DRW.

Have fun with the new toy!

I pull a 2020 Fuzion 369 with my 2018 Goldwing in the back. This truck and the single rear wheel pulled this w/o issues. I went to the dually for more payload. Gained 1400 lbs.

chunker
09-25-2020, 03:47 AM

Here are a few pics;

Congrats on the truck. I may be in the same boat soon. My Ram 3500 SRW is at the ragged edge of weight issues for load and rear axle weights and that's with careful loading and downloading. I haven't researched this but were there any significant differences between the 2020 and 2019? My Ram SRW is a 2017 and there are significant differences in that cab and my 2020 Ram 1500 I got last spring. I ask because yesterday I saw a Ram dually at a Chevrolet dealership and it's a low mileage, 7K, Laramie. Price is high but that's asking not selling. I haven't looked at it so don't know what transmission it has and don't have the VIN yet. If there are significant and value differences between the 19 and 20 I'd just find me a suitable 20. I also intend to spend all my retirement then die. No sense having my retirement be someone else's 401K.

JJaxon
09-25-2020, 07:40 AM
I dont think there are any noticeable changes from 19 to 20. Small things my 20 has that the 19 didn't are dealer added when they ordered it. Both mine are Laramie trim. The 20 has the sun roof, collision avoidance forward looking technology package, and a lane line monitoring that keeps you from wandering over your lines. My 19 had none of these, but I paid the virtually same. On the tow mirrors, the lower or outer is now power adjustable like the bigger mirror. I follow a YouTube channel called Motor City Mechanic, and he put out a video yesterday about Ram / Cummins changes to the maintenance cycle for the EGR valve that has changed to a longer interval for 2020.

I too am spending my kids inheritance. I taught them early on that role reversal was expected. As I provided for them, washed them, fed them when they were young, they would someday get to repay me when I'm old and broken. For now, it's my turn to enjoy the fruits of my labors. They may not have understood it then, but I think they see what I meant by now.

Today is Amp research step install day. Next week will be adding an auxiliary fuel tank. Then step back and enjoy it before cold weather comes.

chunker
09-25-2020, 08:05 AM
I dont think there are any noticeable changes from 19 to 20. Small things my 20 has that the 19 didn't are dealer added when they ordered it. Both mine are Laramie trim. The 20 has the sun roof, collision avoidance forward looking technology package, and a lane line monitoring that keeps you from wandering over your lines. My 19 had none of these, but I paid the virtually same. On the tow mirrors, the lower or outer is now power adjustable like the bigger mirror. I follow a YouTube channel called Motor City Mechanic, and he put out a video yesterday about Ram / Cummins changes to the maintenance cycle for the EGR valve that has changed to a longer interval for 2020.

I too am spending my kids inheritance. I taught them early on that role reversal was expected. As I provided for them, washed them, fed them when they were young, they would someday get to repay me when I'm old and broken. For now, it's my turn to enjoy the fruits of my labors. They may not have understood it then, but I think they see what I meant by now.

Today is Amp research step install day. Next week will be adding an auxiliary fuel tank. Then step back and enjoy it before cold weather comes.

Thanks I researched through Edmunds and saw that 19 Ram was a major update and the 20 changes. I stopped by this morning and looked at it and got the VIN and looked that up. Found site with original sticker and MSRP was around 75K and they want 69.7K for the used one. As I said HIGH it also doesn't have the HD diesel or AISIN trans. I may pass. It did have a UWS 100 gallon aux tank and tool box combo that sticks back real close to the 5th wheel pucks. I'll have to measure but looking at it I think the tank is too large. I currently have a 51g aux tank and it has several inches clearance. Tanks can be swapped though. It had black interior and I'm not a fan of black exterior or interior in the south, heat. Exterior was Delmonico red same as my 17.

Javi
09-25-2020, 08:20 AM
Thanks I researched through Edmunds and saw that 19 Ram was a major update and the 20 changes. I stopped by this morning and looked at it and got the VIN and looked that up. Found site with original sticker and MSRP was around 75K and they want 69.7K for the used one. As I said HIGH it also doesn't have the HD diesel or AISIN trans. I may pass. It did have a UWS 100 gallon aux tank and tool box combo that sticks back real close to the 5th wheel pucks. I'll have to measure but looking at it I think the tank is too large. I currently have a 51g aux tank and it has several inches clearance. Tanks can be swapped though. It had black interior and I'm not a fan of black exterior or interior in the south, heat. Exterior was Delmonico red same as my 17.

Just a note.. the price of a new F350 dually in Texas is better than 69.7K for a used Ram..

travelin texans
09-25-2020, 08:38 AM
Just a note.. the price of a new F350 dually in Texas is better than 69.7K for a used Ram..

Yes! But it's a F350! LOL!

Javi
09-25-2020, 08:43 AM
Yes! But it's a F350! LOL!

Wellllll... they don't have Bullwinkle mirrors... :D :D :D

I just can't do them mirrors.. and I drove Rams for years..

tech740
09-25-2020, 08:49 AM

I love the Cummins so thats why I went Ram. I HATE the mirrors.

jimborokz
09-26-2020, 04:36 AM
There needs to be a bumper sticker for that!

My mother had a bumper sticker that said that.
I inherited the car. Nice ride.

FYI our Fords have "Dumbo mirrors"

I have to pull them in when I drive in historical Charleston.

rhagfo
09-26-2020, 05:18 AM

I love the Cummins so thats why I went Ram. I HATE the mirrors.

Well Like my Bullwinkle mirrors, the reason you see many running with them up, is it puts the convex mirror in the best orientation to cover the blind spot. We have power folding and they come in anytime we are parked.

JJaxon
10-06-2020, 12:56 PM
I installed my 60 Gallon RDS fuel / toolbox combo today. This task is much easier on a dually than a SRW, as the open space inside the fender made it that I could sit upright and see everything I needed. It took me about 4 hours to install completely, this is the second time I've installed one of these. Very happy with this upgrade. The tool box empties out the back seat of various tool bags I carry, and, my roll up tonneau cover hides it all. Ready to roll...

Item from Amazon is 71787

Javi
10-06-2020, 01:46 PM
I installed my 60 Gallon RDS fuel / toolbox combo today. This task is much easier on a dually than a SRW, as the open space inside the fender made it that I could sit upright and see everything I needed. It took me about 4 hours to install completely, this is the second time I've installed one of these. Very happy with this upgrade. The tool box empties out the back seat of various tool bags I carry, and, my roll up tonneau cover hides it all. Ready to roll...

I paid a guy $125 .... 😁

JJaxon
10-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Added mud flaps today. Found them on Amazon for $18 + tax free shipping, Made in the USA. Wow, don't see that much anymore.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DM993NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Install was easy, using 5/16 stainless steel hardware and fender washers.

chunker
10-08-2020, 02:50 AM

Where did you get the fuel neck adaptor and does that adaptor have the "metering valve" as part of the kit. I'm taking my 51g with me but will need the fuel neck adaptor or kit for the new 3500 dually. Does the 60g stick up above the bed rail? One thing I like about the 51 , it's just below maybe 1/4-1/2".

JJaxon
10-08-2020, 05:24 AM
Amazon. Kit comes with everything needed. However the picture showes a straight hose barb, mine had a 90° brass hose barb for the tank drain fitting. I like that, as before it shot straight into the side of the truck bed radius. Now, I aim it to the rear and slightly down. I also went to NAPA and bought a firewall grommet to feed the hose through the hole i drilled in the radius. It also includes the roll over valve that threads into the tee .

Everything is below the top of the bed rail so my tonneau cover hides it when not needed.

chunker
10-08-2020, 05:39 AM
Amazon. Kit comes with everything needed. However the picture showes a straight hose barb, mine had a 90° brass hose barb for the tank drain fitting. I like that, as before it shot straight into the side of the truck bed radius. Now, I aim it to the rear and slightly down. I also went to NAPA and bought a firewall grommet to feed the hose through the hole i drilled in the radius. It also includes the roll over valve that threads into the tee .

Everything is below the top of the bed rail so my tonneau cover hides it when not needed.

Thanks since I have the tank already I already have the fittings and ball valve on the tank, just will need the rest. Since this isn't rocket science and the tank is empty from the last trip, IF I can swing MY deal on the dually, I'll install this one myself and save a couple hundred. But I'm not pulling the hitch and tank until I have a firm commitment from a dealer on $$,$$$.$$. Yes correct number of $ signs.

LewisB
10-08-2020, 05:46 AM
Where did you get the fuel neck adaptor and does that adaptor have the "metering valve" as part of the kit...

Amazon. Kit comes with everything needed...

The brass valve on the top of the "T" is actually a tip-over valve rather than a metering valve. It has a small steel ball that seals the valve if it is turned upside down. In the instructions, you will note that the valve needs to be installed on the top of the inlet with the valve pointed "relatively" up to operate properly. You can also contact the supplier who will mail you the individual parts if you don't need the whole kit. HTH