PDA

View Full Version : [Wheel caps] Do I have to take the wheels off?

DMKRV
09-16-2020, 09:09 AM
Do I need to pull the wheels to get these caps off? The black plastic ones are on three wheels. The silver is on one. I’ve hit the plastic caps with a rubber mallet, and they aren’t moving. I assume the silver one is what I will find under them? Do the silver caps pry off? I don’t see a slot anywhere.

I assume the axels are Al-Ko since I have a manual for that in my paperwork. It says there is no need to raise the RV as the “ultralube” system doesn’t require rotating the wheel.

It’s a 2009 Springdale.

https://i.imgur.com/fra6fnU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J8JTBgV.jpg

flybouy
09-16-2020, 10:09 AM
The top pic is a plastic cap that requires removal of the wheel to remove the cap. It is inserted from the back of the rim. The bottom pic is a dust cap that prevents debris from getting in the bearings. There is no "grease zerk fitting" behind it. To grease the bearings requires removing the wheels, the dust caps, the castle nut, then the hub and bearings.

chuckster57
09-16-2020, 10:23 AM
There might be a zerk fitting on the end of the spindle, under that metal cap. I still wouldn’t use it.

Rich R
09-16-2020, 11:09 AM
There might be a zerk fitting on the end of the spindle, under that metal cap. I still wouldn’t use it.

Why wouldn't you use it?

DMKRV
09-16-2020, 11:14 AM
I'm confused. If this has an “ultralube” system that doesn’t require rotating the wheel, why would it require disassembly to grease the wheel bearing?

chuckster57
09-16-2020, 12:45 PM
If you pump grease from a grease gun, how do you insure that you don’t push any grease past the inner seal? Once grease is introduced to the brake shoes and magnets they quit working. Take the wheel off, remove the hub and REMOVE ALL DOUBT.

I suppose you or anybody else could use the zerk and trust that all is good. Nothing worse than finding out at 55 MPH that your brakes and magnets are covered in slick stuff and won’t stop.

flybouy
09-16-2020, 12:46 PM
I don't know if it has a zerk fitting or not. Go remove the dust cap and find out. I agree with Chuck on not using it because there are many, many reports of folks using them and pumping grease beyond the rear seal. When that happens, you're looking at replacing the brake shoes, the seals, and possibly more.

The other major issue is that using the zerk fitting to grease the bearings is that you don't visualize the bearings and therefore have no idea what condition the bearings are in.

Edit/add, looks like Chuck clicked submit before I did. Same message, same advice.

notanlines
09-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Virtually everyone in the know on these websites agrees with Marshall and Chuck. Don’t use the grease Zürich’s.
Isn’t Voice recognition wonderful? ZERKS.

jsb5717
09-16-2020, 01:44 PM
I don't see an access cover in the hub pictured. Likely no zerk?

BrooksFam
09-16-2020, 02:11 PM
Bearing buddys ( https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bearing+buddy+caps&crid=3DUTDXZ1NONBA&sprefix=bearing+b%2Caps%2C312&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_9 ) have zerks behind the dust cap, but I have not seen zerks behind the oem dust caps before.

I've had good luck with bearing buddys for many many years on boat trailers.

sourdough
09-16-2020, 02:57 PM
If I recall I did have a boat trailer once with a zerk behind the metal dust cap. Not had a trailer like that.

Deleted some remarks because I found these remarks in another forum. Read the first post with attachments from 2010;

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f219/ultra-lube-axles-and-bearings-procedures-9666.html

notanlines
09-16-2020, 03:15 PM
Bearing buddys ( https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bearing+buddy+caps&crid=3DUTDXZ1NONBA&sprefix=bearing+b%2Caps%2C312&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_9 ) have zerks behind the dust cap, but I have not seen zerks behind the oem dust caps before.

I've had good luck with bearing buddys for many many years on boat trailers.

Brooks, any with trailer brakes? The grease just slips behind the seal and then, well, it’s not pretty

BrooksFam
09-16-2020, 03:44 PM
Brooks, any with trailer brakes? The grease just slips behind the seal and then, well, it’s not pretty

Yes, I have had 3 different trailers with tandem axles and brakes.. The key is to not over fill (over pressurize) them. I checked often to see if the rear seals were leaking.

JRTJH
09-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Yes, I have had 3 different trailers with tandem axles and brakes.. The key is to not over fill (over pressurize) them. I checked often to see if the rear seals were leaking.

How do you check for leaking rear seals without removing the hub from the spindle? I've never found a "reliable means" to check the rear seal without the entire assembly coming off the trailer. What's your secret???

flybouy
09-16-2020, 05:34 PM
On all the RWD vehicles and trailers I've owned the taper roller bearings required periodic maintenance. That maintenance consisted of removing the hub, remove the seals and bearings and clean and INSPECT the bearings and raceways. Repacking with fresh grease and new seals and reassemble. Fresh grease was necessary because the old grease (possibly contaminated) was discarded.

The paperwork that came with my ezlube axles describe that same maintenance procedure. Just pumping in more grease defeats the "inspection" and the cleaning and repacking steps. I'd challenge anyone to pump in a grease of a different color then pull the hubs and see how much of the "old grease" gets displaced.

bobbecky
09-16-2020, 07:09 PM
I've mentioned this before, but the real reason for pulling the hub/drum assemblies is to inspect the brakes more than just replacing the grease in the bearings. Most bearings can probably last a few seasons without new grease but brakes can fall apart and never make the failure obvious. Prior to upgrading to disc brakes on our rig, I discovered a failed brake assembly that never did anything to make it known to me. In the photo, the parts that are missing were ground up inside the drum, and these are self adjusting assemblies, so even the adjuster screw was completely gone.

travelin texans
09-16-2020, 08:01 PM
Bearing Buddies & EZ Lube are 2 different type systems. The BB has a spring loaded disc pushing grease & usually found on trailers without brakes, typically boat trailers that are regularly in water, no harm done if it pushes past the seal.
The EZL doesn't, requires the pressure of the gun to push through the to the outer bearing & relies on the rear seal to keep grease from entering the hubs, no way to visibly insure you're not greasing the brakes without wheel/hub removal.
I am with the majority, DO NOT use the EZ lube, disassemble & hand pack only.

notanlines
09-17-2020, 03:03 AM
It is the old saying "You can lead a horse to water...." We will forever have members who insist on towing their Raptor with their 1997 F150, insist on getting the last few miles out of their Trailer Kings, always leave both black and grey tanks open, never upgrade their 'P' tires on their 1500, always install air bags to increase the cargo capacity, maintain that EZ Lube is better than sliced bread, and forever find in more than acceptable to pressure cook pork ribs! But most of all there are those who insist on putting beans in chili.
Our job is to find these people and turn them in the proper direction. Feel free to add to my short list of newby errors...:popcorn:

chuckster57
09-17-2020, 04:26 AM
And what’s wrong with beans in chili?

Javi
09-17-2020, 04:30 AM
And what’s wrong with beans in chili?

Beans are a side dish...:whistling:

chuckster57
09-17-2020, 04:33 AM
Being one of 5 kids, we always had beans in the chili and the corn bread was the side dish. Mom must have used them to as “filler”.

Javi
09-17-2020, 04:37 AM
Being one of 5 kids, we always had beans in the chili and the corn bread was the side dish. Mom must have used them to as “filler”.
Yep, that's pretty common... being Texican by birth, I would never do that but I've seen people call a lot of things chili that ain't.. I've even seen whole kernel corn and cabbage in tomato sauce called chili.. adding chili powder and pepper don't make it chili... :D

chuckster57
09-17-2020, 04:45 AM
IMO, beans are the only acceptable “additive” to chili.

notanlines
09-17-2020, 05:33 AM
I, too, grew up in a household where beans went into chili. I finally learned from native Texans that "Real chili has no beans." And the terms 'vegetarian chili and white bean chili with chicken' are never, but never uttered in our house.

flybouy
09-17-2020, 05:37 AM
While you you guy's are disscuss'n chili (I don't give a hill o beans about the beans) you're missing the real issue here. Pork ribs in a pressure cooker? From the Hindenburg crash "OH THE HUMANITY!".:facepalm:

sourdough
09-17-2020, 06:56 AM
Boy oh boy! Chili and pork ribs..... from grease zerks. I love it.

As a born Texican myself I don't eat beans in chili either. Now DW's parents were a different story. From PA they thought chili was invented with beans...kidney beans. Once DW's dad passed and her mom started eating more of my cooking she finally realized that beans (pinto not kidney) were a side dish and were better that way. I like crackers she always wanted cornbread.

Now pork ribs in a pressure cooker? What do you do with that? I've always been told that the gods created pork ribs and placed them in a smoker, and thus it was so. To do otherwise seems so......not right.

Javi
09-17-2020, 07:41 AM
Boy oh boy! Chili and pork ribs..... from grease zerks. I love it.

As a born Texican myself I don't eat beans in chili either. Now DW's parents were a different story. From PA they thought chili was invented with beans...kidney beans. Once DW's dad passed and her mom started eating more of my cooking she finally realized that beans (pinto not kidney) were a side dish and were better that way. I like crackers she always wanted cornbread.

Now pork ribs in a pressure cooker? What do you do with that? I've always been told that the gods created pork ribs and placed them in a smoker, and thus it was so. To do otherwise seems so......not right.

Pork Ribs the only real barbeque... :D Doing 2 racks this weekend..

tech740
09-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Okay, I am from Michigan and I have only had chili with beans. Anyone want to send me a recipe for the "other chili"? I will agree ribs go in a smoker not a pressure cooker.

flybouy
09-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Boy oh boy! Chili and pork ribs..... from grease zerks. I love it. ...

Danny, makes perfect sense to me bearing grease to chili/pork rib grease! :lol:

chuckster57
09-17-2020, 10:06 AM
With this new generation wanting to recycle everything, maybe the grease from those ribs could be used on the bearings?