PDA

View Full Version : Slide toppers

Rich R
09-12-2020, 03:32 AM
I have a 2019 Outback 328RL and I want to install slide toppers on the three slide outs. I'm wondering if it is even possible on two of the slides due to the awning on one and the exterior refrigerator panel on the other preventing the topper brackets from being mounted where they usually go?
Any suggestions?

g8trz1
09-12-2020, 05:49 AM
Just went through the same issue with my Bullet 221.The factory's stance is you can't put a topper on at all. Very infuriating call. Needless to say the factory was ZERO help. Your vents are side by side which is worse than mine(mine are one above the other). The only suggestion worth investigating so far is to remove the vent, install the bracket, then reinstall vent cutting out enough to clear the bracket and seal up the altered area. Most service centers won't entertain a non standard install method, so again we're on our own.

chuckster57
09-12-2020, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Another option is to mount the braclets on the flange. I have done this a few times. You need to use shorter screws on the flange with the awning as the wiring for the motor/lights is run in the frame of the slide and if you use the screws supplied you might hit them. Also use Sika Flex on the bracket for a more solid install. Brackets go as LOW on the flange as possible.

Laredo Tugger
09-12-2020, 06:41 AM
On the living area slide (on the door side) be sure to install the track mounting on the trailer high enough to create enough "fall" for the rain run off.
I am putting my 5er in the shop later this month for a reinstall of that track on my living area slide, the weight of the water ripped the topper out of the track.
I have about 4-5 inches of "rise" I can utilize. If you have the ability on your trailer to do this it will help avoid problems later. Good luck.
RMc

Rich R
09-14-2020, 03:00 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Another option is to mount the bracelets on the flange. I have done this a few times. You need to use shorter screws on the flange with the awning as the wiring for the motor/lights is run in the frame of the slide and if you use the screws supplied you might hit them. Also use Sika Flex on the bracket for a more solid install. Brackets go as LOW on the flange as possible.

I thought of installing on the flange using short carriage bolts maybe so the flat head is on the inside of the flange. My only concern is if I will have enough pitch mounting it that high up. I have to close the slide and see what the difference in height is from the bottom of the flange to the underside of the rain gutter on the wall.