PDA

View Full Version : GFI issue

Csmccharlie
09-08-2020, 11:11 AM
So Ive yet to take my new to me 2011 Passport exp Hybrid out yet but had it plugged onto my garage.

It was fine till I moved it yesterday into the driveway to wash it. From what ive been told non out the outlets will work on just the battery so its tough to trouble shoot but sometime during the night the GFI in my garage tripped.

The only thing I was running was a 2.5 A mini dehumidifier and I know it was atleast partially working bc there was some water in it.

But I noticed it wasnt on and recepticals arent working.

Every time I plug in it trips my garage GFI. I tried turning off all the breakers in the camper and tested individually and the only one the tripped it was REC which I believe is for outlets.

The only GFI outlet is in bathroom and there was nothing plugged in there

Not sure if this is a big deal or something that wont occur on a 30a plug in.

flybouy
09-08-2020, 11:18 AM
That's receptacle outlet breaker. Has everything been unplugged? Did the breaker for the GFI in the garage trip? That GFI outlet in the garage may have a larger load on it than just the camper. There could be other things in or outside of the house on that circuit like a second fridge, or freezer, etc.

Javi
09-08-2020, 11:30 AM
My first question would be... HOW are you plugging it in..

2nd Question... To WHAT are you plugging it into...

sourdough
09-08-2020, 12:21 PM
I'm wondering...."everything was fine until I moved it yesterday into the driveway to wash it"?? Does it have an outside receptacle that may have been "washed" or something along that line?

Csmccharlie
09-08-2020, 12:28 PM
So after talking to the dealer he stated you cant plug a gfi into a gfi bc its redundant.

Tried on a non gfi plug and its fine

sourdough
09-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Just so I'm clear, it worked fine on this particular plug before but now gfi on gfi is causing to trip, but it didn't before? Or did you move to a different plug from the one that worked fine?

flybouy
09-08-2020, 12:47 PM
So after talking to the dealer he stated you cant plug a gfi into a gfi bc its redundant.

Tried on a non gfi plug and its fine

That is not correct. I have my unit plugged into a an outdoor GFI in storage. I have used fans inside and the television inside without issue.

Sarge2
09-08-2020, 12:55 PM
I've never heard that you can't use a GFI plug to power another GFI... news to me...

CedarCreekWoody
09-08-2020, 02:47 PM
That is not correct. I have my unit plugged into a an outdoor GFI in storage. I have used fans inside and the television inside without issue.

Sometimes you can successfully plug into a GFCI, other times not. I do it home with no problem but many people experience problems when doing so. You can likely turn off the GFCI circuit breaker and the others will work.

Csmccharlie
09-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Yea I dont know tried a non gfi plug and it was fine. It was the first thing the tech told me. Says he sees it all the time

CedarCreekWoody
09-08-2020, 02:55 PM
It is very common.

Frank G
09-08-2020, 02:58 PM
Nuisance GFI trips can usually be traced to how the Neutral, Ground and bonding are arranged. The OP rarely know or understands and we as readers, no matter how well educated, have no clue. Heck, there are a lot of two wire systems still in use, sometimes with ungrounded grounding receptacles attached.

Remember Sourdough's post yesterday about the ban of the Hughes Autoformer, the problem of it's use goes back to the way a parks distribution system's neutral and ground are bonded and where. Apparently there are conditions where it's use could be hazardous to your (and others) well being.

The National Electric Code is a living and fluid code evolving as required...to be respected.

Steveo57
09-08-2020, 05:51 PM
The REC breaker supplies the non GFCI outlets and also is probably supplying the converter. The converter is a common source of GFCI trips due to the filtering on the converter.

The GFCI outlet string is supplied by the breaker labeled GFCI. And having a GFCI outlet plugged in to another GFCI outlet does not cause a GFCI outlet to trip. That is a myth that is not based on reality.

CedarCreekWoody
09-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Not a myth, many have experienced it, even if I haven't.