PDA

View Full Version : GM 6.0 Gasser Owners- Oil poll

therink
11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a new Chevy 1 ton with 6.0 gasser. This is my third Chevy with the 6.0. I have always run Synthetic oil (most recently using Mobil1 5w30. With synthetic I go 5k between changes. I talked to the senior tech at my Chevy dealer about recommended oil fir my new truck. He said that Mobil1 is a waste if money and recommends sticking with the GM dexos (hybrid synthetic/Dino blend) that GM now puts in new engines.
What oil are you using in your 6.0 Gasser, why and how often do you change it?
Thanks, Steve

LarryL
11-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I have the 2500HD put chevron 5/30 Supreme and change it when it's
about 10% oil life left on the oil monitoring system.
have a lot of miles pulling the 5ver truck still running strong.:thumbsup:

jq1031
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I can't talk to your truck needs, but I can about Mobil1. Between RV's I had 4 different boats on Lake Erie. Mobil1 was the only oil I used because a boat engine works alot harder than a vehicle engine, it's like ALWAYS going up a 6% grade with a boat. My boats were all gassers & never a problem. In my truck Mobil1 is still my oil of choice and that will never change. Yes, it cost more but you'll get your moneys worth!:)

cumminsdad08
11-08-2011, 02:14 AM
i used a 3/4 ton new chevy in 08-09 for work, heavy loads and heavy towing 95 percent of the time.(5 percent was the drive home:rofl:). and our garage used just plain jane oil. nothing special. i was in about every 4000 miles, or about every 3 weeks. truck never had any issues, and i ran it for around 75K, the guy driving it now has it close to a 100K doing the same maintnace. this was a newer 07 chevy with 6.0 gas with lots of towing and highway miles.

Kunkler
11-08-2011, 04:51 AM
My father in law has the 6.0 gasser as well. I'm not sure on the brand he runs but i do know he runs Synthetic oil. we were talking over the weekend and he had said he was talking with his tech and there is an add on filter you can get to add life to the oil increasing the time between oil changes.

He changes his oil once a year, i know it don't sound like enough but he dont drive far for work