PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Freezing temps

Akegb3
09-06-2020, 11:28 AM
Hi, we’re planning to take our 2016 Passport TT up north for 2 or 3 nights where temps at night will be in the low 20s. It occurred to me that I’ll probably have issues with water lines freezing.
The furnace will be running on batteries (2 great 6volts) so I’m not too concerned about sleeping issues. I’m thinking about adding RV antifreeze to the water tanks since we never drink that water anyways. I will have a generator but don’t plan to run it at night. The campsite has no electricity or water, etc.
Will adding the antifreeze to the water tank work? I’m not sure how much would be necessary for a 36 gallon capacity tank either. Also, is it ok to get it in the hot water heater?? Thanks in advance for your input!
Ed

Frank G
09-06-2020, 02:38 PM
Antifreeze is sticky, you would not want to use it for anything except toilet water. Even diluted. Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze is poisonous. Do not use this type in a water heater. I do not think the RV antifreeze is poisonous, I am not willing to test it out. Read the label carefully.

vincewhite
09-06-2020, 03:15 PM
AS someone with cold weather camping experience I would recommend one of two approaches. Either winterize your system and only use the toilet by manually flushing ie bottle of water, or keep the furnace and tank heaters going...even when on the road. This will require at least daily charging of the batteries and monitoring the propane supply. Also, if you have an rv fridge, cover up 2/3 of the lower external fridge vent with cardboard or plastic and duct tape in very cold weather. These fridges are not designed for very cold weather and it can cause the absorption chiller to lock up.

skids
09-06-2020, 03:50 PM
(snip) Also, if you have an rv fridge, cover up 2/3 of the lower external fridge vent with cardboard or plastic and duct tape in very cold weather. These fridges are not designed for very cold weather and it can cause the absorption chiller to lock up.

This is good to know about the RV fridge. I would bring a generator along to charge those mighty batteries. I would winterize the water system and bring a container for fresh water. Use the vault toilets or whatever they offer. The temps here in Florissant CO was supposed to get down to 19 degrees F on Tuesday.

Akegb3
09-14-2020, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the input. We ended up not going so will have to wait for another time. Winterizing the TT before using in freezing weather sounds like the way to go.