PDA

View Full Version : Cargo in truck bed versus extended tray at trailer rear

BulletOwner1
09-06-2020, 10:37 AM
I've got a Cougar TT with the tray that extends from the rear to allow for hauling stuff when towing. I have not used it yet but am wondering, if you load it up to max (mine says 200lbs max) does it noticeably affect your trailer balance? I would probably be putting stuff from the truck on there. Generator (small), cooler, golf clubs, bikes?

Pros/cons. I've got a tonneau cover on the pickup so the stuff would obviously be better protected from the weather and more secure.

Who uses it and why?

TIA :popcorn:

Javi
09-06-2020, 12:28 PM
If it is like the one on ol'333 our past Cougar then it'll bottom out the first dip you hit and probably tear off.

BulletOwner1
09-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Thanks Javi, I hadn't even thought of that but I can see that it very well could happen. It just kind of goes against my nature not to use something I have for it's intended purpose. Kinda like buying something and then just putting it in the garage and not using it.

sourdough
09-06-2020, 06:57 PM
I have never had that storage tray on a trailer because I don't want one - I avoid a trailer that has one. It sounds neat but in reality it is not only a pain but possibly a danger unless you substantially rebuild that "tray". I, in my wildest imagination, could not think of putting a gen on one of those things. They can't support a bike rack adequately so I'm not about to put a gen on it. And, when it finally just "breaks" (remember that the back of the trailer will receive the maximum bounce from any irregularity) what do you do about all that heavy stuff bouncing down the highway and folks either hitting it or running off the highway? Truck bed...that's what I use and not a thing is going to "break" off, or out, of it. JMO

flybouy
09-08-2020, 05:53 AM
Thanks Javi, I hadn't even thought of that but I can see that it very well could happen. It just kind of goes against my nature not to use something I have for it's intended purpose. Kinda like buying something and then just putting it in the garage and not using it.

Just my opinion but I think "it's intended purpose" is to help sell the camper. So in fact, it has served "it's intended purpose".

Canonman
09-08-2020, 08:37 AM
Marshall just hit the nail on the head!! Calling the Lippert slide out tray a "sales gimmick" is a most charitable description. I have another name for it but it's definitely not "G" rated. I wanted to take ours off and have a receiver hitch installed but DW vetoed the idea. She wanted to keep the cargo tray for a number of reasons. Not wanting to be hung on that cross, I modified the worthless piece of #*%! to carry a couple bikes using our Thule bike rack. It works OK now but I have to admit I was originally fooled by the idea that a built in cargo tray was a benefit.

GMcKenzie
09-08-2020, 02:03 PM
I followed a different trailer with the rack out and bikes on it. I didn't like the looks of how much they bounced, so stopped using mine for that. Built a bike rack over the propane tanks.

But I have often pulled the rack out once camped and used it to keep stuff off the ground. I won't travel with it out, but will use it when set up.

wiredgeorge
09-08-2020, 02:31 PM
When my missus saw one of those racks on some camper she thought it was neater than sliced bread. I pointed out it isn't unusual to scrape our rear bumper backing into our parking spot since the enter is anything but level (steep). She still thinks it would be neat to have one. Those things are destined to be scraped off at some point

Ken / Claudia
09-08-2020, 02:59 PM
I found 2 uses for mine. 1 the bike rack vertical bar bolted in place and a "T" welded across the top. Then mounted 2 LED lights to "light er up back there". About 4 foot above the ground and they rotate. I have a on/off switch nearby, not wired to backup lights.
2 at camp the tray is a nice place to sit a cooler on. When traveling the cooler is in the truck bed.

notanlines
09-08-2020, 04:40 PM
As has been repeated here in this thread "Not only no, but hell no!" Visualize your generator, sliding effortlessly down the concrete highway at 60 MPH, a shower of sparks behind it just like NASCAR on Saturday night Bristol, and then when it slows to about 40, a crack in the concrete catches the frame and it starts its roll, end over end, sparks still flying and now the fuel tank bursts, looks like a Quentin Tarantino film with free gas! Darned if you aren't destined to be on Facebook with a sight like that.
Keep the 'stuff' in the truck!

Pull Toy
09-09-2020, 02:49 AM
I agree with all of the above. ^^^ It will keep stuff off of the ground once set up, but not worth the risk while moving.

One thing not mentioned is that your turning dynamics will also change, and not in a good way. The rear end of your rig will need considerably more room to swing wide, and backing into a tight space will be a nail biter.

Good Luck,

BulletOwner1
09-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. Guess this is one option I won't be using going down the road. It's a neat idea because you are always looking for extra storage options in an RV, except there are too many downsides. If I do use it it will be when the camper is stationary.

LarrySharon
09-17-2020, 07:57 AM
I only used mine for carrying fire wood.

Renoman
09-17-2020, 10:24 AM
I use mine for the bikes. I inspect the welds and attachment points. Haven’t had any problems in 4 years. I guess ill do something about it if a problem arises.

Jacketsbum
09-17-2020, 11:50 AM
I bolted a bike rack on mine and carry two bikes. I have also carried a cooler, fire wood, satellite dish and kayaks on it. No problems whatsoever!

tomd
09-17-2020, 12:09 PM
The weight on bumper has several negative factors. Maybe 200 lbs is ok of well connected, not even that in some cases.

first, you must consider the cargo weight and how attached to frame of trailer (via bumper, direct beam).

second, what is the 'moment arm' , which is the overhang. If you have a "200 ft-lb" rated bumper bracket, that means 100 lbs, average of 2 foot from attachment. Or 200 lbs, 1 foot away from connection/overhang.

third, the bouncing multiplies the effect significantly.

To answer your question, rear load off loads hitch weight/cargo when 'static' but when bouncing it amplifies the load on an up bounce.

the dynamics also increase load on bumper mount, frame and rear of trailer, both up and down forces are not good.

NOTE: I carry about 100 lbs or less about 2 foot moment arm max for bikes.

IMHO.

sourdough
09-17-2020, 01:15 PM
I use mine for the bikes. I inspect the welds and attachment points. Haven’t had any problems in 4 years. I guess ill do something about it if a problem arises.

The problem might arise and happen before you ever know about it. I came upon a guy while traveling down the highway. He was pulling a trailer and I was not. Hanging off the back of the trailer were 2 bicycles (looked like nice ones) hanging at about a 45 degree angle to the back wall of the trailer. The bumper looked like a thin piece of sheet metal just bobbing and flopping with the weight of those bikes there. Appeared it was going to fall of any second so I got on around him. Pulled beside him (middle aged guy with wife) and honked my horn so I could tell him. He made a quick glance at me and turned his eyes straight down the road and wouldn't look back - I was shocked but headed on out. Popped down the visor to look at myself and make sure I wasn't a ghost, ghoul, look like Jack the Ripper....nah, just my normal, beautiful self.....(that remark was tongue in cheek). :D

ISLANDER1089
09-17-2020, 02:05 PM
I am quite surprised by all the negative comments about an item that Keystone engineered and sold with certain trailers.
I have the 2018 Cougar 22RBS that comes with this fold-out platform. I am single and travel alone so I have zero storage needs and actually unbolted the tray to cut down on the weight shortly after purchasing the trailer.
Recently I thought it might be handy for a Champion generator that would work great if I decide to do any boondocking. I've been looking into lockable generator boxes that I could lock onto the tray which is rated for 250 lbs.
Being an engineer myself, I looked at the platform and I feel that it is designed well and seems to be extremely well made. It sits several inches above the bumper so it would be literally impossible for it to bounce to the point of hitting the road surface. I also have a full time rear camera so I can keep and eye on it while travelling.
Bottom line, I don't see any reason not to use it.

Bandit12
09-17-2020, 06:48 PM
Wen we bought our 27SABWE the specs on the rear hitch say 300 lbs limit. I bought a cargo tray from where I work and its rated for 500 lbs. I assembled and installed the tray with the intention of using it to carry my generator. My genny weighs in at 100 lbs. The bed of my truck is about 40 inches off the ground, and tray is about 24 inches off the ground. As I'm getting older, horsing 100 lbs into the bed of the truck is harder than lifting it onto the tray. As I'm also a pretty heft guy, I think I'm going to get up on the tray and see how it reacts with me standing on it, and bounce a bit and see what it does. With the spare tire mounted, I can't fold the tray upright. I need to make an additional piece for the spare tire mount as I had to raise the tire on the mount and now it's a little loose at the top. I'm thinking about adding a piece of angle to the top bolt to widen the mount at the top.

Ken / Claudia
09-17-2020, 07:31 PM
For anyone who does or wants to attach or pull out the bumper tray and load it down. . Really look at how its working when traveling. Few are stable, some bounce like a yo-yo. When that slide out tray was used on new models around 2010? and when I started on the site 2013. There where many who used them and they failed on the freeway/highway not sitting in the driveway.

I hope they are made better now. But does anyone on here know that is a fact.
lower the rack or pull out the tray. Grab them, pull them up and down as will happen when driving. Mine will move vertically about 3 inch. Adding wt. may stop some of that but will it for sure.
If I was to carry stuff on mine, I would re weld the u straps that hold them. I would somehow end all vertical movement while extended. That thin piece of metal they call a bumper would be replaced with heavier gauge metal.
The very least test what your doing with a person following to film or report to you the load and bounce on that tray before you driveway thinking it's fine but not really knowing.

Mr Mojo
09-18-2020, 05:24 AM
http://www.cindyandart.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/IMG_2657sm.jpg

https://www.flatsurface.com/camper/bumper/bumper%20failure.jpg

flybouy
09-18-2020, 05:49 AM
If the rear tray is rated for 300 lbs then I'd get 300 lbs worth of people to stand on it and jump in unison for say 10 - 20 min. That should simulate what will happen going to happen going down the road.

But first, buy a new bumper and set up an appointment with the RV shop or welder. I think you'll be needing it.

sourdough
09-18-2020, 07:44 AM
http://www.cindyandart.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/IMG_2657sm.jpg

https://www.flatsurface.com/camper/bumper/bumper%20failure.jpg

The top pic looks almost identical to the one I referenced in post 17. Not a good thing to have bouncing along behind you, unseen, at 65 mph.

wiredgeorge
09-18-2020, 08:28 AM
Another person posted in a different thread about their frame breaking and having to be re-welded. I looked up the Lippert 3 year warranty and a bike rack will likely void the frame warranty if I read correctly. I think the one in the pictures above makes it pretty clear why. I think the only reason they put a "bumper" on the rear based on the material it is made of is to: 1. store a sewer hose 2. make a noise before you back into a tree and break your camper's rear.

JRTJH
09-18-2020, 08:33 AM
If the rear tray is rated for 300 lbs then I'd get 300 lbs worth of people to stand on it and jump in unison for say 10 - 20 min. That should simulate what will happen going to happen going down the road.

But first, buy a new bumper and set up an appointment with the RV shop or welder. I think you'll be needing it.

To "expand on Marshall's suggestion of finding 300 pounds of people to jump for 10-20 minutes".... Consider that doing exactly as he suggested, will provide you with a simulation of "the first 10 (10 minutes of jumping) or the first 20 (20 minutes of jumping) miles of a 1000 mile trip towing at 60MPH....

Sometimes you can simulate an event in a "shortened time frame" but metal fatigue becomes more critical with each 'flexing of the bumper"... Try bending a piece of thin steel bar stock repeatedly, every time you bend it, it will get weaker and weaker until it reaches the "breaking point" and suddenly you have two pieces of thin steel bar stock, one in each hand.... It's the same with your bumper.....

I wholeheartedly agree with his last sentence, and would further suggest that you keep a "friendly mobile welder" on retainer.....

ewbldavis
09-25-2020, 07:41 AM
Interesting as our 2020 doesn't have tray or even a bumper.

"Sales gimic" is now a 300# rated hitch - which is probably worse. I know it's not for towing, but I bet someone will triple-tow with that thing.

I just wanted the bumper for mounting my spare. I bought the Curt hitch mount for now - got it out of my front bay where stuff "should" be placed :)

Javi
09-25-2020, 08:14 AM
Interesting as our 2020 doesn't have tray or even a bumper.

"Sales gimic" is now a 300# rated hitch - which is probably worse. I know it's not for towing, but I bet someone will triple-tow with that thing.

I just wanted the bumper for mounting my spare. I bought the Curt hitch mount for now - got it out of my front bay where stuff "should" be placed :)

Yeah, I'll most likely never use the 300 pound hitch either.. But at least my Avalanche came with a BAL Hide a spare.. :D

Mr Mojo
09-25-2020, 09:48 AM
This my rack and I wouldn't trust it to hold anything while driving. I currently only use it to hold the toolbox off my truck when I need the full bed, otherwise it stays in the up position. I have thought about the bike rack since our two bikes together weigh less than 50 lbs not including the rack.